This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Downloading Zorin ?

Wally The Confused

Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:48:07 pm

Hi All.
I am trying to download Zorin to an USB stick, for my Acer Aspire One, to replace win XP.
I have watched lots of clips on YouTube, as well as reading about it, on Google.
All articles mention using UNetbootin for that.

So I followed the links and downloaded the version for WIndows, and opened it.
First step...Select Distribution...............click on that, and a list of wierd names appear.
Zorin, is not mentioned anywhere ? :?

So, any better ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Wally

botcrusher

Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:04:19 am

I'm going to point you towards ol' reliable here,
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal- ... -as-1-2-3/
It even works on cracked-boot chromebooks, as far as I'm concerned it's the gold standard and it works with zorin (just select zorin from its drop down menu inside program)
Edit: since you already have the iso select the option to use an offline one.

Anonymous

Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:08:53 am

Yes, Universal USB Installer is highly recommended. It is a rock solid software doing what it should do every time.

Here is a link to a You Tube video how to use UUI to install a os. to USB:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWO3vif7hTw

Here is also a step by step quide how to install os to USB including also a persistent file:

If you use the Universal USB Installer program to make that, so there are some things that have to be checked that it really does the persistent installation to your USB.

First you have to make the selection by opening the selection window that you use the Zorin os.
to be installed (even if you already have the downloaded .iso file). This enables that persistent installation is possible. Then you select the source .iso file that you want to use to make the installation. Next you select the USB device where to install (selecting the right letter) and select that you will make the fat32 formatting that erases all data from the USB. Last selection there is the slider to select how big persistence file you will have to be installed to your USB. Max 4 Gb. If you want to have 4 Gb file installed so use at least 8 Gb drive for installation.

When all selections are made you can start the program to install the files and to make the persistent file to your USB. First it will install all files from the .iso file. The progress of installation you can see from the window. This will take some 15 min. Then it will start to make the persistense file to your drive. It is even longer process taking additional 25 to 30 min, to be completed. The program do not seem to do anything. The window does not show the progress, however it does what it should do and finally it says that the process is complete. Don't stop the process before it is completed, just wait patiently! Then you have a bootable persistent drive to make a restart and go to Zorin live session, that will keep all changes over shut down.

If you follow carefully this process taking ca. an hour without any complications you will for sure have a working persistent USBlive drive. :D

That you can use as installed operating system from USB to try all features of the new os. untill you want to make a installation from that USB to your HDD.

Wolfman

Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:21:48 am

Hi,

first download your ISO copy of Zorin OS and when you open the USB installer app you are going to use, you must point the app to that ISO that you downloaded, if you use Unetbootin direct, it will only select versions of Ubuntu (I think) from its own list of ISO's to download and use!.

http://zorin-os.com/free.html

Use option 2 here:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/using-unet ... rom-linux/

Wally The Confused

Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:44:31 pm

Thanks for the help.
I tried downloading from the links, 3 times, and the download stalled at between 600 and 900 Mb.
We have, so called, Unlimited, but Fair Use, broadband.
The Mrs went onto another site, on her Mac, and succeeded in Downloading the Zorin OS. iso.

I then used the otherwise empty 4 GB pendrive, in the Aspire one .

Nothing Happened. So I started going through stuff, and found that the Bullguard A/V was creating problems,
so, for the purpose of installing, Zorin, I had to uninstall Bullguard.
Still didnt work.

So, going into the Aspire menu, I found that menu option F 12, was Disabled, so, I changed that, to Enabled !
I now thought, this time, on restart, its going to work !

Well, it did not ! I got a funny message, as follows :

Syslinux 4.07 EDD 2013-07-25 Copyright ( c ) 1994-2013 H.Peter Anvin et al
Error : No Configuration file found. No DEFAULT or UI Configuration Directive Found !
boot:_

:? :?: By now, I guess you have figured out, that I am not very good at this, but I followed the given Instructions, all the way.
So, any Ideas on what to do next ? :? Thanks in Advance. Wally.

Wolfman

Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:13:03 am

Hi,

what tool did you use to create a "Bootable" USB version of Zorin OS?, the message you pasted tells me that you need to rename some of the files on the USB stick:

Open the USB installation media, then rename the following:

isolinux –> syslinux (folder)
isolinux.bin –> syslinux.bin
isolinux.cfg –> syslinux.cfg

Then try rebooting and see if it works!.

See also:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/329704/s ... tive-found

Anonymous

Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:14:28 am

Hi

What I can suggest you to do. The error message tels that there might be some errors in the file. Did you check that your downloaded .iso file is ok. looking the md5sum. Is the USB emty and formated to fat 32 using the erasing option. You can do that using some disk tool separately. Which USB installation software you used UUI or Unetbootin ? You may try both to see whether there is difference.

Anonymous

Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:28:45 am

Regarding the naming of folders and files. If you used UII so there should be following folders and files in your USB:

isolinux (folder) including
isolinux.bin
isolinux.cfg

UUI (folder) including
ldlinux.sys
syslinux.cfg

These folders, files and naming is done automatically to USB by the installation software when using UUI. If it is according to this, do not make any renaming if UUI is used due to then it probably does't work ether. If not working check your downloaded .iso file and make a new installation to fat32 formatted USB drive. If your .iso file is ok. and you see these folders and files with these names in your USB drive after installation, if it then doesn't work, there is something wrong with the booting process from USB in your PC.

As can be seen from the link Wolfman posted, "askubuntu", there is some instability issues in the creating and naming of folders and files to work properly. UUI seems to manage this better than UNetbuutin.

Anonymous

Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:40:19 pm

I tried to use the "Startup Disk Creator" installation software, installed from software center. It is a Linux USB installer to make a bootable drive. It worked well. Booted in my HP 530 laptop just fine. In that installation the folders are as follows.

ldlinux.sys (file)

syslinux (folder) including
isolinux.bin
syslinux.cfg

So depending on the installer used there are somehow different setups with the folders, files and names.
My suggestion is here that if you have problems with booting, so the setup in UUI works best not to stack in some booting error. There is machines like my HP 530 that don't mind so much of the setup and naming, all works. However there are some more stubborn ones that works only when folders, file setups and names are in a specific way arranged. The question is how capable the booting proses in the BIOS is to handle different styles of installations.

Wally The Confused

Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:19:00 pm

Ok, so far, I have got Zorin working, sort of, but it keeps coming up as : Guest.
Obviously my password was ok, on the initial set up page, so I have no idea, why it is not letting me sign in.

So, I have followed youtube instructions on how to reset the password, and as soon as I get to :
Enter new unix password _ the keyboard does not work, apart from the enter key.
Press. enter, and it brings up
Confirm new unix password. Again , only working key, is enter. Press enter again, and it comes up:
Password Unchanged.

Then, the keyboard works again :?
Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Hopefully this is the last hurdle.
Jan

Anonymous

Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:27:47 pm

Press the [ UP ] and [ Down ] arrows a couple of times on your keyboard until the [ Guest ] appears at the bottom !!~!!

Now your ready to log-in !!!! :D :D

Wolfman

Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:07:26 am

Hi Jan,

see also:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6338

Wally The Confused

Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:17:37 am

Eureka !!
The arrow thing worked, Im IN, Im IN ! :D

However, It is still resisting. :(

I am in the UK, using a BT wifi HUB with " excellent signal ", as long as I am on Windows XP.
For whatever reason, no matter how long I leave it, on Zorin, it is not finding the hub, or connecting ?

Ok, once I got in, I went through the folders and all seemed ok, apart from the one named ROOT.
It has a big red X beside it, and when I click on it, it tells me I do not have privileges to get in ?
Hopefully, once this is sorted, there will be no more problems.

Thanks for all your help and patience so far.
Jan

Wolfman

Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:57:52 am

Hi Jan,

check the network icon (bottom right panel) and make sure that you have "Enable Networking" & "Enable Wireless" both enabled!.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiD ... otingGuide

I don't know exactly what you want to do as root in the folder but to make yourself "root", open a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) and paste the following command and your root home folder will open up and you can do things (copy files etc) as root:

Code:
gksudo nautilus

Let us know how you get on. :D

Wally The Confused

Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:34:35 pm

Ok . Thanks again, Im working on it, at the moment.
Er, I dont exactly want to do anything in root, but , considering the problems I have had, up to now, I thought I had better mention, that the root file, has a big red X beside it, in case enabling wi fi etc, had to be done from there.
Ill get back once I am online. Thanks
Jan

Wally The Confused

Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:21:39 am

Hooray, I now have working Ethernet and WiFi.
Prior to this, all I could do, was make the network panel appear and dissapear, but not type anything in it.
Somewhere on the forum, I found an older post by madvinegar.
As it was in answer to a similar problem to mine, I used the link, and followed the instructions, and it all started working, without the need to add any commands afterwards :o
The only thing is, now I cannot find the post, that I copied from :?
Thanks for all the help !
Jan