This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

startup disk creator trouble

david7307

Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:12:25 am

I am playing around trying other OS and just want to put them on a usb stick as an iso
have downloaded a couple of iso Lubuntu and zorin lite
when i put one or the other onto usb flash drive with startup disk creator all seems to go well
my trouble comes when i reboot and tell computer to use usb it comes up with Boot error
i have used it this way once from windows 7 to ubuntu 14.04
so its not that the computer cant read usb
any help

Anonymous

Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:02:07 pm

You should use a software that installs a bootable os. from the .iso file to a USB drive like Universal USB Installer.
Here is the link to download that software:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal- ... -as-1-2-3/

Universal USB Installer is highly recommended due to it is a rock solid software doing what it should do every time.

Here is a link to a 10 min. You Tube video how to use UUI to install an os. to USB:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWO3vif7hTw

Don't use UNetbootin even if that software has been also recommended. There is some instability in the naming of folders and files into the USB installation causing booting problems.

If you are interested in having a persistent USBlive installation that means that also all settings and possible additional software are kept over shutdowns in your USB drive so look closer this link. There is also a step by step guide how to install a bootable persistent USB Drive:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7120

Hopefully this is something you need to know to get started.

It could be also needed to have the specs. of your computer to give some more help in case something does not work.

david7307

Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:14:39 pm

ok thats good
i don't think i made my self clear iam trying to do this from within zorin6 core i,am looking for a program that will copy iso to flash drive using a linux program and from what i have read startup
disk creator should do it
that loader you mention works from what i have seen from windows
sorry if iam wrong or the mixup

Anonymous

Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:38:07 pm

Yes, it is a Windows software. That can be used also from wine if not having windows os. I have not used that software you mentioned. UUI seems to be however one of those which works. I understod that you want to know some working software to replace the Startup Disk Creator.

UNetbootin have Linux, Windows and Mac versions, but as mentioned there might be some instability issues in booting.

Look this link and the last answer there:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/329704/s ... tive-found

david7307

Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:49:25 pm

thanks for your reply will go to win7 and do it from there
what i love about linux is, told dump windows were better ,but dont delete it ,you will have to use it, to do things that we should be able to do in linux, its becoming a joke

Anonymous

Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:51:12 pm

David7307 > Take that USB Flash Drive and do a complete Format > FAT32....not a quicky from the Windows side if possible !!!!
90 % of the time that solves the problems that people are having with running GNU/Linux as [ Live ] or for installation.
Then other things happen...I've seen a [ Flash Drives ] last for years...and then some can go bad when you wouldn't never least think they would !!!!
I downloaded Zorin OS 8 Core and used the [ Startup Disk Creator ] from Zorin OS 8 Ultimate 64-bit and everything works just fine.
Zorin OS 8 Core booted up live in a matter of seconds !!!! :D :D [ LEXAR USB 3.0 Jump Drive ]
On That particular app...that would be Wolfmans or Swarfendors expertise with any suggestions.
Universal USB installer is by far the best application to use for making a USB installation for GNU/Linux.

david7307

Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:53:24 pm

ok will try again i got lubuntu to work on drive by going to win7 and using universal
but will try reformatting and try again with zorin

Anonymous

Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:41:20 am

Ok. so I believe that you manage to use UII and you want now try the Startup Disk Creator. There I have not any expertise. I have used only UII and UNetbootin. In case there is some problems so according to Gizmuntu, Wolfman or Swarfendor can help I suppose. Interesting to hear your results using Startup Disk Creator. I can also try if you get it working and when I have a good situation to do that. Personally I have not had any problems with these installers. My computers desktop ASUS AMD Athlon 64 bit and laptop HP 530 32 bit with Celeron M, both boot from whatsoever media and runs almost whatsoever installed software. So sometimes I feel that I am too optimistic that all others can do the same.

david7307

Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:12:10 am

well uui in wine can not read usb so that is no help and the startup disk installer and the other one cant remember the name just now will load usb but when i use it at boot up i get boot error have tried reformatting it no good
go to uui on windows no trouble

Anonymous

Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:39:49 pm

Ok, that is why I always recommend to use UUI and also from Windows so the result is "guaranteed". With other installers there might always be some headache. I had same problem with using wine, it did not detect my USB.

"But dont delete it, you will have to use it, to do things that we should be able to do in linux" :lol:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I tried to use the Startup Disk Greator. I made a Zorin 8 Lite installation to a 8 Gb San Disk Cruzer Blade USB Drive. I made there also 4Gb persistent file there. I booted up in my HP 530 laptop without any problems. As I said it will boot up and run whatsoever which is "something" software. Untill now it seems to work ok. Sorry that I can not help any other way. This was the first installation using that installer so no further experience until now.

I have looked the content of the USB drives having the same os. installed. There are differencies in the setups of the folders and files and their naming. I believe that some boot processes in different BIOSes simply does not manage to boot from all versions of USB installations like my HP530 does and that is the reason to boot failures. So only, or at least simplest way to overcome this is to find an installer that makes the file setup working also in some more stubborn computer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding the naming of folders and files. If you used UII so there should be following folders and files in your USB:

isolinux (folder) including
isolinux.bin
isolinux.cfg

UUI (folder) including
ldlinux.sys
syslinux.cfg

These folders, files and naming is done automatically to USB by the installation software when using UUI.

I tried to use the "Startup Disk Creator" installation software, installed from software center. It is a Linux USB installer to make a bootable drive. It worked well. Booted in my HP 530 laptop just fine. In that installation the folders are as follows.

ldlinux.sys (file)

syslinux (folder) including
isolinux.bin
syslinux.cfg

In the UNetbootin the folders are as follows:

isolinux (folder) including
isolinux.bin
isolinux.cfg

Same as in UII but not having a UII Folder.

So depending on the installer used there are somehow different setups with the folders, files and names.
My suggestion is here that if you have problems with booting, so the setup in UUI works best not to stack in some booting error. There is machines like my HP 530 that don't mind so much of the setup and naming, all works. However there are some more stubborn ones that works only when folders, file setups and names are in a specific way arranged. The question is how capable the booting proses in the BIOS is to handle different styles of installations.

btw. you never told what was your computer specs ?