This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] canon mg5420 won't install

yonnie

Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:16:02 am

Using OS8, 64bit.
I have a Canon MG5420. I found a Linux driver at Canon Europe, told it I was in the UK and found some Linux drivers for a MG5400. I downloaded the 2.00-1 deb pkg. It came as a tar.gz file. I extracted it and chose the one for amd64 and double-clicked on it. Something like the Software Center came up and then a box asking me if I wanted to install the software. I clicked on install. After displaying 'installing' for awhile it then displayed 'Installed' and another box that said 'reinstall'. I exited.

Then I went back to the system settings and printer and tried to select and add the printer. It could identify the printer properly but not the driver. Where'd the just installed driver go? It still gives me a choice of a mg5300 or an mg6100, but no mg5400, even after reboot. Where did the installer put the driver??? And where should I manually place it? When I select the wrong driver, the test page won't print and I get an error triangle displayed on the printer icon.

I went to the Canon-usa website and the auto-detect saw I have Linux-detected and then indicated they had no software for an mg5420. The Canon-asia website didn't seem to have any software available for anything.

Wolfman

Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:47:06 am

Hi yonnie,

go here and download the file, right click and open it with "Gdebi", not Ubuntu software center:

http://support-th.canon-asia.com/conten ... 67602.html

Canon Asia is your friend!. :D

Code:
sudo apt-get install gdebi

Make sure you check the printer settings again by removing the other printer you added and then installing this one with the new drivers!. :D

yonnie

Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:12:20 pm

Thanks!
It worked!!!