This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Sync GNotes or Google Keep with Chrome

Zorinator

Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:02:00 pm

I have JellyBean and I have Keep as well as Gnotes, both on my phone and in Chrome browser.

Keep does not see my Notes folder in my Gmail account at all.
GNote sees it and I can create/edit/delete from my phone.

The desktop apps in Chrome, however, allows me to create new on the computer which then reflects on my phone, which is good.

The desktop apps do not see the existing Notes in Gmail and does not import/sync it. (It was created while I used an iPhone and a MacbookPro.)

Is there a way to import this into Keep or Gnotes?

Zorinator

Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:26:33 pm

OK, the trick was to install an add-in to Thunderbird. It is called [url="https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/importexporttools/"]ImportExportTools[/url]. So I exported the notes in .txt format. I then uploaded the entire folder into Drive. It works like a charm on laptop and phone.

I also repeated the export in HTML format but Drive opened the notes then as garbage.

Evidently, one needs to have Thunderbird and the correct add-in to do this. I am not sure how Evolution would be able to do this as I do not have it installed presently.

Wolfman

Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:22:15 am

Hi Z,

sorry but I cannot help you as I don't have mobile devices or Google accounts etc!.

Try Evolution out!. :D

Zorinator

Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:07:15 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi Z,

sorry but I cannot help you as I don't have mobile devices or Google accounts etc!.

Try Evolution out!. :D

No sweat, Wolfman, I managed to find a fix! I have found yet another Thunderbird add-in (Tbird won't start now so I can't get the name) but I think it is Thunderkeep. So What I did, was to manually copy from Tbirds Notes account in my Gmail account and paste it into individual new notes in Thunderkeep, obviously all within Thunderbird.

I cannot download today as I forgot it is a public holiday and the diner where the hotspot is, is swamped by tribe upon tribe of little kids having fun at 120dB. The room with the mains supply and wifi is totally crowded, of course! So we will use "Africa time" and proceed after the new moon :lol:

Once I have my new Zorin, I would love to give Evolution another try. Even though I have managed to find a solution in Thunderbird, it could help someone else if I also find a way in Evolution.

A little secret: I became partially disabled after spinal injury, followed by subsequent strokes and heart attacks, eventually also diabetes. There is enough fight left in me as I am doing volunteer humanitarian work seven days a week, unpaid and with the same calling consciousness as a paid career professional. Individuals like yourself who have the acumen to dish out smiles and not zap Linux sinners, are what is needed to make Linux human-friendly. Maybe because I am just battle weary and extremely tired, I find that some of the less compliant attitudes of some geeky guru's do offend, which is why I always keep the MacWindows backdoor open. Some of these people ask stupid questions (for professionals) and take evry report of software failure/flaws/bugs as a personal insult. Eventually, the scare away Linux candidate users, which is sad.

One guy says that, because I get it for free, I should live with the flaws. OK, so when I don't report when I see a general problem, how will they know to fix it?

Anyhow, thank you for being friendly and accommodating! I find it hugely encouraging to have FRIENDLY contact on a Linux forum! :mrgreen:

Wolfman

Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:43:35 pm

Hi Z,

glad you are sorted, I will mark this as solved!. :D