This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Paired Problems: Browser and Player

seraNet

Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:30:46 pm

Initially, I ran Windows XP, and may still have it booted alternatively - I haven't a basic clue for that right now. However, whilst it was on it's last legs, Zorin came up as a likely change of plans. I've ran into two issues - regarding the pre-installed browser, Google Chrome, and then Shockwave Player - otherwise Adobe Flash.

1) Computer tower is not at memory - AMD system, however.

2. 1002.2 MiB / 1gb RAM

3. Zorin OS 8.1 EDU (secondary drive) and Windows XP Home / Pro (primary drive)

5. AMD RV730 (running Gallium 0.4 drivers)

7. Prior to installing, it was livebooted.

8. Zorin 8.1 Core (previously); Zorin 8.1 EDU (now) installed from a 8gb Flash Drive

Regarding Google Chrome, primarily, it's worked on the Guest account whenever Zorin was ran Live, but apparently not the root or administrator accounts are given privilege to run Google Chrome. Other browsers, even the base of Chrome - Chromium - work. Theory-wise, it may be privilege issue, but it's not entirely confirmed.

Regarding Shockwave Flash Player, secondarily, I don't believe it worked on the Guest accounts when Zorin was run live, and it won't work on apparently any browser, tested on Chromium and Firefox, whilst Chrome is inaccessible.

Sorry for the dual troubles.

Wolfman

Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:03:36 pm

Hi,

run this terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) command and restart and see if the problems are still there:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

seraNet

Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:20:00 am

Wolfman,
As of now, I'm currently on my ~4th reinstallation, and still having this problem on the same version of Zorin. The third, a recent reinstall, was regarding installing Zorin 6, which allowed the usage of Google Chrome again, however, foolishly, Flash was not (apparently) checked.

I ran through the immediate software updater's appearance, and made sure Google Chrome was selected on the list. When that was done, I used the "dist-upgrade" terminal code. There appear to be no results - Flash and Chrome still do not work.

I have also gone through the linked thread, and there was no directly useful information.

Thank you for responding.

Wolfman

Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:20:21 am

Hi,

did you do a disk install and follow this advice?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

if you burned the disks at the burners preset default speed, it has most likely corrupted the ISO image and this is why you are having problems, no amount of repair work will get the PC's working correctly again!.

Reburn AT THE SLOWEST POSSIBLE SPEED!.

seraNet

Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:34:30 pm

Wolfman,
I didn't do a disk installation of the operating system, as it's become impossible for my CD-ROM drives to read disks, all but one which appears to not be willing to either. In my original post, I referred to my installation going through USB on #8, however additional information was that it was burned to the USB through UNetBootin, and the MD5 checksum was correct. However, whilst I had not been the one who initially set it up on the USB, is it still suggested to use UNetBootin - or should I try and move over towards Brasero?

Wolfman

Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:08:32 am

Hi,

Unetbootin is fine, you must make sure that you COMPLETELY FORMAT THE STICK TO FAT32 before using Unet!. :D

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7171

seraNet

Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:16:04 pm

Wolfman,
I've reformatted my flash drive to FAT32, ensured that it was formatted, and began the installation of Zorin once more. However, when it was finished, it still produced the failure on point of Google Chrome. I'm unsure about how I may've progressed in my situation, but instead of erroring, it just simply won't start.

On terms with other thoughts, I attempted running Chrome through the terminal.

Code:
[0429/191127:ERROR:nacl_helper_linux.cc(236)] NaCl helper process running without a sandbox!
Most likely you need to configure your SUID sandbox correctly

This had come up when I ran the google-chrome command through the terminal, which might or might not give a better chance to fix this.

Alternatively, I tried to make good use of 11Gadariel's post, but I've not come to any conclusions.

Wolfman

Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:20:04 am

Hi,

now you have it running again, open a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) and run this command and then restart:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

If this doesn't fix the Google Chriome problem, open Synaptic and type "google chrome" in search and then right click it and mark it for re-installation and see if that helps.

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Let us know how you get on. :D

seraNet

Thu May 01, 2014 4:36:04 am

Wolfman,
I've tried the dist-upgrades, reinstallations, different versions of Chrome (which I couldn't set up), or further. Going a little different into it, there are a few possibilities this has come down to - the chipset making a problem, privileges (something I feel a little stuck on) or alternatives.

Thank you for responding, however I'm not 100% sure where we can go with this.

Wolfman

Thu May 01, 2014 4:59:30 am

Hi,

completely remove GC using Synaptic and then download a new version from here:

https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/

Once downloaded, right click and open with "Gdebi" and see if that helps.

If you don't have Gdebi installed, open a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) and paste the following command:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gdebi

seraNet

Fri May 02, 2014 9:53:51 pm

Wolfman,
I attempted to run the installer for Gdebi through terminals, in which I had failed. Trying another OS package that had it pre-installed, I still had trouble with Google Chrome when it was installed, and by some - I feel like my problem is having an older Athlon XP setup.

Any other ideas?

Wolfman

Sat May 03, 2014 8:29:32 pm

Hi,

you can install Gdebi via Synaptic too!.