This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Invalid entry in PCManFM applications menu

aarsenca

Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:28:12 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm just a noob, first question here... I'm running Zorin 8 Lite. Everything works fine except this nagging invalid entry in the applications menu that is displayed when you click on the Z button.

The entry is in one of the sub-menus: System Tools. It is for a program I tried (Midnight Commander) and quickly uninstalled, but the menu item was left behind.

To try removing the menu entry, I open PCManFM, set the left sidebar to Places, click on Applications to display the menu folder, click on System Tools, select Midnight Commander and press Delete. This results in an error message: "mc.desktop: Invalid menu directory".

How can I get rid of the invalid menu item?

Thanks.

Wolfman

Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:00:08 pm

Hi,

install the package "alacarte" and then run it by pasting the following in a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) and then edit the menu:

Code:
alacarte

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4835

aarsenca

Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:26:20 pm

Thank you for the suggestion.

I installed alacarte. Unfortunately, the "Midnight Commander" entry was not listed in the applications for the System Tools sub-menu, so I was not able to disable it and get rid of it in the menu.

I finally solved the problem :D In the menu itself, I right-clicked on the entry and selected Properties. In the Application Shortcut window, I simply deleted the name field and clicked OK. Now, it's gone.

I will keep alacarte for future use.

Take care.

aarsenca

Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:02:56 am

After my last post, I realized that the menu entry was not really gone, it was just blank.

So I opened the entry's properties and deleted all fields, not just the name field. Then, I ran alacarte and this time, I was able to completely delete the empty line from the System Tools sub-menu.

So now, it is absolutely 100% gone :!: