This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Impossibly Slow ZorinOS Download

Zorinator

Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:33:00 pm

I am in need of ZorinOS 8 32-bit. Here in one of the biggest developed cities in Africa, using mobile broadband simply is too expensive and I am forced to make use of my 10GB monthly free wireless bundle. The problem is that this service happens in public places. At a download speed averaging 35kbps, it will take me "two lifetimes and an eternity" to download. I simply cannot sit there for all the time to guard my machine, as I will obviously need to use a bathroom while it is downloading. Leaving the laptop unattended will see it disappear in no time!

Having tried various servers first, I eventually downloaded Mint in just over 2 hours, instead of approaching 2 days.

Is there a faster download link somewhere?

Wolfman

Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:44:49 pm

Zorinator

Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:47:28 pm

Thanks, will give it a try! :)

Zorinator

Thu May 01, 2014 12:26:09 am

Wolfman wrote:Hi Z,

go here, this is pretty fast:

http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownload ... 47533.html

I went there again yesterday, with high hopes, yet it was not to be. Even the Softpedia link could not exceed 23kbps and I finally had to download Mint, for now. We will be relocating in a few months from now and we can install adsl/fibre :mrgreen: at the new address. Something to look forward to - after years of terribly slow GPRS/EDGE and sometimes 3G connections. At least we had HSDPA for the past 4 years at this address, but data bundles are priced beyond reach. Imagine using cloud-based services when the infrastructure is still missing. :shock:

Then I will once again be the Zealous Zorinator!

Wolfman

Thu May 01, 2014 5:14:49 am

Hi Z,

do you not have any high-speed Internet cafes where you live?. The Softpedia link is normally very fast for me; but then I live in Europe!.

Zorinator

Thu May 01, 2014 7:25:35 am

Read my post about using the cloud...............few people understand the challenges we are facing outside US, UK & Europe. Internet cafe's do not have the speeds required and are mostly run by Asian or Nigerian criminals using these as front organisations for **** trade, human trafficking and other nasties. Even if these had the speeds required, it would cost a fortune. Even Windows 7 Ultimate with its hefty price would be cheaper to buy than such a large download.

World internet stats may show Africa has 15,6% penetration but it fails to show how flimsy and expensive it is. We see footage of people abroad who flip open a laptop and are just online. From here, it looks like a miracle.

Wolfman

Thu May 01, 2014 7:43:58 am

Hi Z,

I hope things improve for you in the future with relation to internet speed!.

Don't do the Cloud!, you never know who is looking at your data, store all your personal data on a USB stick/drive!.

Happy Mayday!. :D

Zorinator

Thu May 01, 2014 7:57:53 am

I hope things improve for you in the future with relation to internet speed!.

Don't do the Cloud!, you never know who is looking at your data, store all your personal data on a USB stick/drive!.

Happy Mayday!. :D

More the reason why Linux should have a local sync solution for every user. Presently, I am forced to use a Google set-up which I distrust. We need REAL PIM organizers. After all the updates and upgrades, Evolution was quick to halt itself in the Calendar department and Thunderbird typically is miming mail retrieval without actually doing any of it. I have to use a web browser for email and it guzzles up data!

We are the most developed nation in Africa, even though we are sliding down a slippery path at an alarming rate. If we do not have proper internet, I feel sorry for the remaining one billion folks who have less than I have.

May 1 marks the end of summer here; with me being a winterish person, good by to the heat and welcome to cooler weather! Have a nice day at your end as well. :)

Wolfman

Thu May 01, 2014 11:08:44 am

Hi Z,

there are several back-up utilities for Linux:

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10-thi ... tilities/#.

I just do Copy & Paste myself onto an external USB drive!. :D

Zorinator

Thu May 01, 2014 11:17:05 am

there are several back-up utilities for Linux:

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10-thi ... tilities/#.

I just do Copy & Paste myself onto an external USB drive!. :D

I also do that and even have a second partition as well as an external hard drive, all rigged for copy/paste and/or chron backups via Luckybackup.

My remaining need is for a local sync between phone & laptop for contacts, calendars, tasks & notes.

Swarfendor437

Thu May 01, 2014 11:58:00 am

Zorinator

Thu May 01, 2014 12:04:54 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Possible PIM alternatives here:

http://alternativeto.net/software/treep ... form=linux

Thanks!! :D