This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] USB Mounting Problem

Acer DeVille

Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:35:57 pm

It's me again, here is my problem today, I have plugged in two different USB drives and I was unable to mount either of them. I unplugged, and replugged, and I even restarted the pc to see if that would help. No such luck, if I run "lsusb", they both show up, but I haven't quite figured out how to mount by cli.

The thing is, yesterday both items were mounted automatically when plugged in. Like one of them is an external HDD, yesterday I plugged it in, and nautilus automaically opened the folders that are on it. The other is a cell phone that I'm using to tether off of, I didn't realize it until yesterday but when it's plugged in, it shows on the desktop, since I have the setting set so all mounted drives are shown on desktop. There was a actual cellphone icon, with
"LG G2, D800 Mobile Phone" under it. But today there is nothing at all.

Where do I start?

aarsenca

Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:34:52 am

I only moved over from Windows a week or so ago, so I'm no expert. But like you, I have an external HDD plugged into a USB port and it works fine. This is how I set it up.

Be aware that I am running Zorin 8 Lite, so some of my apps might be different from yours, but I would imagine the ideas are similar.

I ran the Disks application (Menu > Preferences). The HDD was listed in the Devices sidebar. I selected it. It only has one single partition. Under the blue partition rectangle, I clicked the "gear" icon (More actions) and selected "Edit Mount Options". I set "Automatic Mount Options" to Off, checked "Mount at startup" and "Show in user interface", entered a significant "Display Name" and left the other fields alone. Finally, I rebooted and ran the File Manager (PcManFM, in the Accessories sub-menu), set the left sidebar to "Places", and confirmed that the drive was mounted under the Display Name I had entered in the mount options.

Once the drive is mounted, you can actually see it in the /mnt folder.

Wolfman

Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:01:05 am

Hi,

you can also check the settings within Dconf Editor (dconf-tools):

Stop/Start Media Auto Mounting:
Code:
Dconf Editor > Org > Gnome > Desktop > Media-Handling > Automount/Automount-open/Autorun Never

Acer DeVille

Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:17:56 am

Thanks I'll try both of those ideas.

Can Mark as Solved.