This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Unable to Access Admin Account after Install

nobloat

Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:32:37 am

I installed the latest Zorin 8.1 on my netbook (has an Atom CPU) using a bootable USB flash drive, such that it now dual boots to either Windows-XP or Zorin.
The Zorin partition is 40Gb.
When I created the USB boot drive, I reformatted it and had plenty of left over room (it's a 4Gb flash drive)
During Zorin install I chose to use a password.
When I boot to Zorin and use the password to login, I'm always logged in as Guest.
I cannot access the administrator account, even when I click on it, and re-login with the password, or do a "log out" then log in again with the password I am still logged in as Guest.
Then I go to system settings and click on User Accounts and I can see the Admin account, but when I click on the "unlock" icon in upper right corner of screen, it will not unlock (so I'm unable to get at the Admin Account).
I am minimally Linux literate.
I opened a terminal window and typed in "root" followed by enter.
I received the message:
"Program Root not installed. Ask your Administrator to install, "root-system-bin""
So, what do I need to do to install "root-system-bin" to get at the Administrator account so that I can set up my WiFi, install apps, etc?
If you recommend that I do a re-install of Zorin, how do I do that AND ensure I can access the Administrator account?
Please keep your answer in very basic steps without esoteric Linux terms.
Thank you in advance for your help and dedication to this very nice distro.
John

Wolfman

Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:42:40 am

Hi John,

just press the arrow keys at the login window and your normal user name should appear and you can log in into it!.

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6338

nobloat

Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:59:25 am

Wolfman wrote:Hi John,

just press the arrow keys at the login window and your normal user name should appear and you can log in into it!.

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6338

Thanks Wolfman, that worked!
John

EDIT:
Now I feel so dumb. I cannot find the switch that flags my issue as resolved. I remember seeing a post asking that we set the "Resolved" flag when an issue is solved.

Wolfman

Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:45:18 am

Hi,

not a problem, see here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1901

I have marked it as solved!. :D