This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] [rant] can't search for password and user issues

yonnie

Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:51:20 am

The forum search engine won't search for password or user password nor login. I was having a problem with the autologin. Using OS8-64bit.

Something went goofy and the system would boot up into a login screen where you could choose between Guest or actual user. The result of the login would always be Guest.

I stumbled upon a similar issue in this forum (which I can't find again thanks to the stupid search engine) where it suggested I use the recovery mode option in the grub menu. Following the instructions in that listing allowed me to replace the password with one that works and I was able to login normally and correct the problem.

Anyway, the issue with the system booting into a Guest login screen still exists and I'm not too sure as to how my system started doing that. Fortunately someone posted a way to fix it in this forum. Around march 27, 2014. You'll just have to read till you find.

Wolfman

Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:39:17 am

See here for the login problem:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6338

yonnie

Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:59:01 am

Yes, thanks wolfman! This is it: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword

Wolfman

Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:12:42 am

Hi yonnie,

I understand what you are saying but resetting the password won't help you at the login screen if your username isn't showing!. :D

yonnie

Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:53:25 pm

The problem I was having matched the description in the link you found. Some kinda of login loop. User name was showing. You could toggle between user name and guest at a login screen but never able to login as user, only as guest. Screen didn't care which name I chose. It would not accept the user password and would only boot into guest mode. By booting into the recovery-mode (zorin advanced) from the grub menu, I was able to fix the problem.

What would happen was the user would choose the user name, type in user password, system would load into guest user mode. If I then would choose guest at the login, system would load into guest mode. It didn't care, login result was always guest.