This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Installing software using terminal

greybeard2

Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:00:04 am

I am new to Zorin 8 but am gradually getting to grips with it. My problem is that I wish to install a DOSBOX front end I have downloaded. The author's instructions are to extract and run dbgl which is in home/john/downloads. I cannot install any other way I have tried and want to use Terminal to do the installation. As I understand it I need to change directory to home/john/downloads in Termnial first and then enter ./dgbl. I cannot get Terminal to change directory using cd or dir commands. Can someone point me in the right direction please.

madvinegar

Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:28:07 am

cd /home/john/Downloads
sudo ./dbgl

In short, you need to put a "/" in front of home, and Downloads to be with capital "D".
The above commands assume that dbgl is placed inside Downloads folder, and your username is "john" (with small "j"). Be very careful as regards the capital letters.
Also make sure that dbgl is executable. Right-click it > properties > permissions tab > tick the box that says "allow file to be run as executable".

greybeard2

Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:02:34 pm

Thank you for the advice, it worked perfectly. I now have to battle through what I had hoped would be a straightforward program. At a first look it will keep me busy for a while, but thanks again. By the way is there a list of commands and their grammar for Terminal?

Swarfendor437

Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:18:31 pm

greybeard2 wrote:Thank you for the advice, it worked perfectly. I now have to battle through what I had hoped would be a straightforward program. At a first look it will keep me busy for a while, but thanks again. By the way is there a list of commands and their grammar for Terminal?

Here you go! :D

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CommandLineResources

greybeard2

Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:32:19 pm

Oh boy, that will keep me quiet for a long time. Most grateful, thanks.

Wolfman

Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:17:45 am