This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

b43 lp-phy firmware

USER987

Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:26:21 pm

i have created a live cd usb of zorin 6.2 lite, but cannot access wireless internet for my dell mini 9 netbook.
The netbook use broadcom b4312 driver which the b43-lp-phy is the necessary driver for me.

i have check the software center and my search for the b43 driver turn up nothing.

How can i get the driver and get wireless access?

madvinegar

Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:42:15 pm

Just to make sure, please post back the result of the command:

lspci -nn | grep 0280

Some questions:
- Do you have internet via ethernet cable?
- Is it a live USB or live CD?
- If it is a live USB, have you created persistent space?

USER987

Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:00:34 pm

i will post back the command you gave me when i boot up the mini 9 computer later, i am using another computer right now.

To answer your questions:

1) i can get internet access via ethernet cable if necessary.
2) It is a usb flash drive with zorin 6.2 OS and i boot it up in live cd mode.
3) I have created persistence on it.

By the way i also created another live usb with Zorin 8 and had no problem getting the driver since software center had the driver and was up and running on my mini 9 netbook when boot up and surfing the web wirelessly

USER987

Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:32:18 pm

i finally got a chance to run your command and the result is as follow:

03:00.0 network controller[0280]: broadcom corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY

Which is what i need.

I was also able to with another laptop use the 6.2 OS wirelessly and found in the synatic package the b43 fwcutter and b43 lp-phy drive and installed them.

Later when i use the usb to boot up my mini 9 , it still show the firmware as missing and thus no wireless access. But when i check synatic package it show that it is installed.

Any ideas on what is going on?

madvinegar

Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:40:46 pm

Open terminal (ctrl+alt+T), plug an ethernet cable to get internet and run the following commands.

sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source
sudo modprobe -r wl
sudo modprobe wl

Wait 10 seconds and then check if your wireless is working. You may need to restart.

USER987

Sat May 03, 2014 3:33:36 pm

madvinergar,
Thanks alot use your commands and got wireless working.
I have 2 more questions :

1) i just created a live usb cd for linux lite and do not have wireless access, again lack firmware.
In their case i need to install software center but was not sucessfuln then try their synatic package and found the fwcutter and click to install it.
Now how do i get the b43 lp-phy firmware into the synatic package and get the wireless working?

2) In the zorin 6.2 OS i went to the internet option and try intall Firefox but got a error, i then try Opera and was sucessful.
I restarted the computer but cannot find Opera. What happen? The internet option show that it is installed but i can not access it like i do with my Zorin 8.2 OS on another live usb CD.

madvinegar

Sun May 04, 2014 8:55:24 am

1) I think you need first to run

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-uprgade

Your system will be updated and you will find all the packages you need.

2) It must be under start > internet
Run in terminal

opera

and see if it will run the program