This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] wireless and ethernet not working

Diamondave

Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:15:51 pm

Hello. New to Zorin, leaving xp. Installed Zorin on my Dell desktop, no problems. Installed Zorin on my Dell inspiron e1705 laptop, no internet. After reading through the forums it sounds like the most common problem is the Broadcom drivers. I did a search but none matched my Broadcom 4401 or 4321. This may or may not be the problem so I am attaching a screenshot of some terminal commands I found in the forum. I am using my desktop to contact you and whatever downloads I need will have to come through it to a usb drive then onto my laptop for the wireless and wired internet does not work on the laptop. I hope the attachment works for I couldn't figure out how to copy and paste the results to a file for you to look at. Thank you for your help

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:48:35 pm

Hi and welcome to Zorin! :D madvinegar is the real expert but in the meantime you could follow this guide here:

http://www.howopensource.com/2012/05/in ... -10-11-04/

'Additional Driver' in Zorin is based under:

Menu | System Tools | Administration | Software Updater - you will be asked for your login password - then select 'Additional Drivers' Tab - be sure you are connected to the internet using a cable connection to your router. :D

(If it doesn't work, wait for madvinegar - he will get you sorted! :D )

Wolfman

Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:56:05 pm

Hi,

when you installed, did you first check that the WiFi/Lan were working?.

Your Broadcom should be supported out of the box?.

Insert the Live CD once more and double check to see If you didn't have it (WiFI) switched on, and if you didn't enable Networking in the bottom panel!.

Please wait for Madvinegar to show up too!.

madvinegar

Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:19:59 pm

It seems like you need the wl driver for your card.
The problem is that your ethernet is not working either (so as to download the firmware) so you will have to do it manually.

Please advise what version of zorin you have installed, as well as if it is 32 or 64bit.

Diamondave

Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:18:56 pm

Sorry, madvinegar, forgot to post that info. Zorin os 8 , 32 bit.

Diamondave

Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:20:29 pm

Also, wireless is turned on and works when I run xp in the laptop.

madvinegar

Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:14:09 pm

From a computer that has internet connection download this file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xqoibe1kow6zi ... bit.tar.gz
(It's from my dropbox. I gathered all the packages youn need).

Using a USB stick, copy and paste the file you downloaded (BCMWL13.10-32bit.tar.gz) inside your ZORIN Downloads folder.
Right click it and select "extract here". A folder will be created named BCMWL13.10-32bit
Open terminal (ctrl+alt+T) and run the following commands:

cd /home/$USER/Downloads/BCMWL13.10-32bit
sudo dpkg -i *.deb
sudo modprobe -r wl
sudo modprobe wl

Wait 10 seconds and then check to see if you can pick up wireless networks.

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:20:46 pm

WOWWWWW! How do you do it madvinegar! You are superb! :D :D :D

madvinegar

Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:21:57 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:WOWWWWW! How do you do it madvinegar! You are superb! :D :D :D

Lets wait and see first if it will actually work... :mrgreen:

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:23:46 pm

I have absolute faith in you bro'! ;) :D :D :D

Wolfman

Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:39:16 am

Diamondave wrote:Also, wireless is turned on and works when I run xp in the laptop.

Did you try the Live CD as I asked earlier?.

Following MV's advice should solve your problem if not!. :D

Good luck!. :D

Diamondave

Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:59:09 pm

Problem solved! After downloading, tranfering file, and typing the commands (correctly, lol), wireless internet was available to me. Add this to your Dell, Broadcom fix file. Thanks madvinegar!

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:40:39 pm

See madvinegar, my faith is absolute - I'm in generous mood - have 1200 blue jewels before my blue jewel creditor finds out! :D

madvinegar

Thu May 01, 2014 6:31:30 am

Glad I helped.

Thanks Swarf! :)