This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Wallpaper

Anonymous

Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:32:16 pm

Still persevering with Zorin 6.4 core. Put my own picture as wallpaper and the whole desktop changes.
Awful Ubuntu start button instead of the lovely Zorin one and on right at bottom a horrid black bar with my name and turn off button and the time etc. Also 3 little blue squares spoiling the background picture. It has to be a joke if anyone thinks this is ever going to replace windows or mac. Ordinary people just want the thing to work. They do not want to spend time constantly searching the net for fixes. I really like the fresh appearance of Zorin but the whole thing is disfunctional. You have to discover where Zorin has hidden your downloads instead of chosing where you want to have them. What is all that about. I know I am being totally unreasonable in expecting as a normal reasonably educated educated person to be able to figure these things out. Basically the saying you get what you pay for should have warned me. However I paid nothing and have an almost replacement for windows , if only it worked properly. My question is can I have my own wallpaper without changing the whole appearance of the desk top which is one of the things I like about Zorin.

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:37:11 pm

Hi handy1912, sorry you are not enjoying Zorin as much as we would hope! To be honest I never got past 6.2 and was much happier going back to 6.0! ;) The easiest way to change wallpaper - and if it is one of your own pictures, the simplest way is to do it via Image viewer:

Screenshot Image Viewer.png

then adjust to fit:

Screenshot background preferences button.png

As for the Ubuntu logo appearing, did you check the settings here (Software Updater/Update Settings - Menu | System Tools | Adminiistration | Update Manager)? (Yes I know it is a 'bug' so-to-speak - I think the current version has it set to 'never' by default:

Screenshot Image Viewer.png

To get the Z back look for 'gnome-tweak tool' - if it is not there, install it from a terrminal (Menu | Accessories | Terminal) and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome-tweak tool

Screenshots here: http://linux.softpedia.com/progScreensh ... 85812.html

Look for the interface/themes bit and select 'ZorinOS' - NOT 'Zorin OS' themes and you should get your Z back.

As for those annoyances at the bottom of your screen:

http://vimeo.com/56632883 ;)

Hope this helps! :D

Footnote - something has gone wrong with the uploaded screenshots - and NOT my fault! Rather than screw the post up have left as is - but you should get the general gist of it all no? ;)

Anonymous

Thu May 01, 2014 2:43:03 am

Thank you very much for your help and so quick too.
I will try what you say and get back to you if I get into difficulty.

Anonymous

Thu May 01, 2014 2:48:43 am

I forgot to say that I am actually enjoying it a lot but being old and crochety find the continual need to bodge things to get it to do quite elementary everyday things a pain in the ****. I also forgot to mention that it is not displaying the text in my website correctly. It is written in Palatino Linotype which I thought was safe and would work in all OS's.
It is an OS problem it is fine in windows in five of the usual browsers used.

Anonymous

Thu May 01, 2014 4:25:52 am

I have just done the updates and on restarting there is no bar at the bottom at all. :o

Wolfman

Thu May 01, 2014 5:05:41 am

Hi,

go here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

and then scroll down (hyper links don't work sorry!.) almost to the bottom to this section: "More info about the AWN panel (Avant Window Manger)", all will be explained on how to fix the problems with the AWN panel!.

To open a terminal to use any of the terminal commands provided, simply press "Ctrl + Alt + t".

Anonymous

Thu May 01, 2014 6:25:31 am

I now have my zorin start button back which has also restored the Zorin colours to the menus.
Unfortunately I am unable to read any of the things you kindly pointed me to "more info about the awn panel" as none of the green highlighted items in this forum will open for me. Any ideas why my website does not display correctly in Zorin?

Wolfman

Thu May 01, 2014 6:28:37 am

Hi,

this is why I posted this "(hyper links don't work sorry!.)", you must scroll down manually!.

Anonymous

Thu May 01, 2014 7:45:36 am

Sorry Wolfman I realized I should scroll after my last post.
I have already visited the place for modifying Awn but am still unable to see a way to remove this black overlay
on top of the white opaque Zorin background. This appeared when I put my own photo onto desktop using right click on desktop method. Do you think I should attempt this http://vimeo.com/56632883 , from your colleagues first post?, as to my simple mind it does not seem to address my problem. Bare in mind I know nothing about what I am doing ie: not understanding that I should scroll down to read the "more about Awn" bit. I would like my original desktop back though before trying to put my own photo as wallpaper using his method.

Wolfman

Thu May 01, 2014 11:02:52 am

Hi,

open Tweak Tool (AKA: Advanced Settings) > Desktop > Picture Options and adjust your desktop pic settings there!:
Tweak Tool_001.jpg

Swarfendor437

Thu May 01, 2014 11:48:39 am

Hi Wolfman, when I have time I will try and import your guides into pdf format with hyperlinks! ;)

Anonymous

Thu May 01, 2014 2:00:06 pm

I have tried to upload screenshots but get invalid filename. I have screenshots of what I want back and what I have now as verbally I am obviously incapable of explaining the situation judging by you responses. What format should the screenshots be? Seems strange they were taken in Zorin but they are unaccepable in a Zorin forum.

Anonymous

Thu May 01, 2014 2:41:56 pm

I have tried to upload screenshots to demonstrate the problem I have with the awn bar bottom right. Incorrect file name. I took the screenshot in Zorin but it appears unacceptable in the Zorin forum?
I have an Ubuntu black overlay on top of the pale Zorin bar. When I click on any of the items I get a hideous black readout. Can I restore the original Zorin bar without reloading the OS. Surely the powers that be can understand that no ordinary user is able to cope with all this disruption caused by doing something as simple as putting ones own photo as wallpaper.

Wolfman

Fri May 02, 2014 4:09:34 am

Hi,

to re-install AWN:

if your AWN panel is completely screwed up, open a terminal with Ctrl + Alt + t and paste the following command:

Code:
sudo apt-get purge avant-window-navigator && sudo apt-get install avant-window-navigator

This should remove and reinstall AWN to a bog standard new one.

You should restart with Ctrl + Alt + Del; then log out and Restart and see if it fixes the problem!.

Are you trying to upload any pics that are not JPG format?, only use JPG!.

Anonymous

Fri May 02, 2014 5:17:48 am

I will try what you say and yes it was not a Jpg I will now know what not to do next time. Thank you for your help.

Anonymous

Fri May 02, 2014 5:54:30 am

Unable to locate package Avant Window Manager is the response from the terminal. I looked in Synaptics and it is not there. Avant Window Navigator is the nearest thing to it.

Wolfman

Fri May 02, 2014 6:02:16 am

Sorry,

try the command again, I put a typo in there!. :(

Anonymous

Fri May 02, 2014 9:51:59 am

See if I am still prevented from posting.

Wolfman

Fri May 02, 2014 10:38:44 am

Hi,

do you mean a pic?.

Upload attachment > Browse > Add the file > Place Inline (You must click in an empty space within the posting window before clicking on Place Inline!).

They should be JPG as I mentioned before!.

Anonymous

Fri May 02, 2014 1:41:28 pm

Screenshot from 2014-05-01 20_36_51.jpg
This is what I have still got after reloading avant window negotiator.
Screenshot from 2014-04-26 19_28_55.jpg
This is what I would like back.

I expect I have altered aq setting somewhere without realizing.
Thanks for sticking with me and yout help to date.

madvinegar

Fri May 02, 2014 2:37:36 pm

Try this. Using the desktop look changer, change desktop to either XP or Gnome.
Log out.
Then login and change the desktop back to win7 look.
Logout - login and see if that helped.

Anonymous

Fri May 02, 2014 3:58:58 pm

Hello again,
I tried what you suggested but it did not do any good.
However whilst I was clicking the look changer button I noticed Ubuntu Tweeks immediately above it.
Went in there and noticed gtk theme was set to Radiance. I clicked the options and Lo and Behold
there was Zorin OS. Changed it and Hey Presto all is as I want it. Thank you all for your help. Do you
mark this as solved or do I?