This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Anybody successfully installed and run TroopMaster?

Mainframer

Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:10:36 pm

I installed TroopMaster 2014, a Windows based Scout record keeping system, using PlayOnLinux and a setup file on a USB Flash Drive. During the install I got a warning message but the install seemed to finish ok. When I ran TroopMaster it crashed. Looks like it couldn't find some DLLs. Some detail below from the debug log.

Has anybody successfully installed and run TroopMaster? Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong?
Jerry

Install warning:
[04/29/14 22:49:55] - Running wine- cmd /c echo %ProgramFiles% (Working directory : /usr/share/playonlinux/python)
C:\Program Files
[04/29/14 22:57:05] - The following file is located on a FAT32 filesystem.\nIt might prevent wine from working\n\n/media/live/SANDISK 8GB/Setup_TM2014.exe
[04/29/14 22:57:05] - Running wine- /media/live/SANDISK 8GB/Setup_TM2014.exe (Working directory : /)

Run time error:
[04/29/14 23:14:00] - Running wine- TroopMaster.exe (Working directory : /home/live/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/WindowsApps/drive_c/Linux Troopmaster Software/TM4)

err:module:import_dll Library MFC42.DLL (which is needed by L"C:\\Linux Troopmaster Software\\TM4\\TSI.dll") not found

err:module:import_dll Library TSI.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Linux Troopmaster Software\\TM4\\TroopMaster.exe") not found

err:module:import_dll Library MFC42.DLL (which is needed by L"C:\\Linux Troopmaster Software\\TM4\\TroopMaster.exe") not found

err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\Linux Troopmaster Software\\TM4\\TroopMaster.exe" failed, status c0000135

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:05:35 pm

Hi, This is what I would do:

1. Go to your /home folder and press 'Ctrl+ H' to show the hidden folders.

2. open '.wine' then 'drive_c' and create a new folder with the same name as the CD with the program on it.

09.png

3. Copy ALL the files of TroopMaster into the new folder - look for any .exe files, right-click them and ensure 'Allow to run as a program/executable' is checked on the respective 'Permissions' Tab.

4. Open a terminal (Menu | Accessories | Terminal) and enter: 'winecfg':

08.png

5. Choose which version of Windows the program was designed to run on

6. Use this program in Windows: http://dependencywalker.com/

and check this out too: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... 96653.aspx

7. Then hopefully you will know which .dll's to manually add from the drop down provided here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... 96653.aspx

Once you have done all of this, go back to the main executable in the folder you created and right-click on the 'setup.exe':

03.png

and cross everything! :D

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:06:49 pm

Bottom screen shot should be the .dll one - something is going wrong with my uploads tonight! :cry:

Wolfman

Thu May 01, 2014 5:45:51 am

Hi,

I would install the package "mono-complete!" too, for Windows apps to run under Wine, they need .Net Framework!:

Open a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) and paste the following command and then restart and try again:

Code:
sudo apt-get install mono-complete

Mainframer

Thu May 01, 2014 9:35:42 pm

In regard to post by Swarfendor437
On PC with Windows 7
1. Downloaded file setup_TM2014.exe from TroopMaster Web site.
2. Copied file setup_TM2014.exe to USB Flash Drive

On Zorin on ACER Netbook
1. Go to your /home folder and press 'Ctrl+ H' to show the hidden folders.
2. open '.wine' then 'drive_c' and create a new folder with the same name as the CD with the program on it.
    a. No CD involved. Downloaded setup exe from TroopMaster web site.
    b. Created folder called “TroopMaster”
3. Copy ALL the files of TroopMaster into the new folder - look for any .exe files, right-click them and ensure 'Allow to run as a program/executable' is checked on the respective 'Permissions' Tab.
    a. Copied setup_TM2014.exe from USB flash drive to Zorin /Home/.wine/drive_c/TroopMaster. This is the only file.
    b. “Allow to run ..” already checked
4. Open a terminal (Menu | Accessories | Terminal) and enter: 'winecfg':
5. Choose which version of Windows the program was designed to run on
    Chose Windows 7

On PC with Windows 7
6. Use this program in Windows: http://dependencywalker.com/
and check this out too: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... 96653.aspx
    a. Dependency Walker produced the following list based on the TroopMaster setup program on the Windows 7 PC.
    Each line below had this behind the DLL name: “Error opening file. The system cannot find the file specified (2).”
      API-MS-WIN-APPMODEL-RUNTIME-L1-1-0.DLL
      API-MS-WIN-CORE-WINRT-ERROR-L1-1-0.DLL
      API-MS-WIN-CORE-WINRT-L1-1-0.DLL
      API-MS-WIN-CORE-WINRT-ROBUFFER-L1-1-0.DLL
      API-MS-WIN-CORE-WINRT-STRING-L1-1-0.DLL
      API-MS-WIN-SHCORE-SCALING-L1-1-1.DLL
      DCOMP.DLL
      GPSVC.DLL
      IESHIMS.DLL
    b. Don’t know what to do with http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... 96653.aspx
7. Then hopefully you will know which .dll's to manually add from the drop down provided here:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... 96653.aspx
[This is where I get lost. Yes I think I know the dll’s to manually add but
    a. Both links above point to the same URL - Windows Sysinternals > Downloads > Process Utilities > Process Explorer v16.02
    b. I don’t see where in this page I am supposed to download dll’s from.
    c. On Zorin on ACER Netbook I don’t know where I am supposed to put the dll’s on Zorin. In “/Home/.wine/drive_c/TroopMaster”?]

Once you have done all of this, go back to the main executable in the folder you created and right-click on the 'setup.exe':
Stuck on #7 above.
The image below this instruction is too fuzzy to read.

and cross everything!
[What is everything? ]

Bottom screen shot should be the .dll one - something is going wrong with my uploads tonight!
[I don’t understand this.]

Tried Wolfman's suggestion to install the package "mono-complete!". No obvious error messages. Good thing I didn't print it out. Another forest saved :) .

Wolfman

Fri May 02, 2014 4:27:41 am

Hi,

I am not an expert on this but you can start here, it may hold vital clues for you:

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... ngId=41640

Hope it helps. :D

Swarfendor437

Fri May 02, 2014 12:01:39 pm

Hi, there appears to be a Zorin forum issue that happened before regarding indexing the images - when you open 'winecfg' there is a tab called 'Libraries' - there is a drop-down menu for you to add '.dll' s manually.

The sysinternals is supposed to be a program to run to find out what is running when the program runs - will look at this later. :D

Swarfendor437

Sat May 03, 2014 11:08:12 pm

OK, I've tried to get the program to run (installed as Demo) - has installed but will NOT run! So sorry to report, this does not appear to work with WINE.

For information to aid others, Wine contains the api-ms-xxx.dll's but even though I entered all of the dlls I could find reported by the 'walker' program it would not run:

11.png

This is a screenshot of the exported walker.txt file of the TroopMaster setup.exe:

43.jpg

So sorry to report friend, that it does not look like it is compatible with WINE.

Just to add, if there was no .dll listed in the drop-down box you can just 'add' the .dll name manually - you just leave out the .dll bit.

Mainframer

Sun May 04, 2014 12:59:30 am

Thanks for the effort. I'm going to contact the TroopMaster support group. A while back they said they knew of customers running TroopMaster on Linux. Could it make a difference if a different distribution was used (Red Hat, SuSE, Ubuntu, Mint, etc)? I'll post results of my query later.
Thanks,
Jerry/Mainframer

Wolfman

Sun May 04, 2014 5:43:56 am

Hi Jerry,

it might well work on a different distro, you would need to check other forums and see if you can get it to run with a different version of Linux!. :D