This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Dual boot Zorin/XP

schmod

Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:27:51 pm

Hi this is my first time trying to use linux and I hope you guys can help me out.

So im trying to get Zorin and XP to dual boot cause I want to use Zorin but some things apparently wont work with wine so I want to keep my XP installation just in case.

I have created a partition for zorin and for a swap drive (xp is already installed and on its own partition).

I have ran the installation of zorin from my USB live drive, I used mount / for the zorin drive and /mnt/windows for the xp drive. Zorin seems to install when on the USB drive I can see it on the correct partition and the appropriate files seem to be there. However whenever I boot without the USB it just goes straight to XP, and as I understand it, the USB drive is only booting off itself not the partitioned zorin. So I didnt know what what went wrong so I tired the install again, same thing.

I am kind of lost, some of the resources ive checked out said that zorin should install "GRUB" but ive never been prompted for that so I dont know. Im pretty lost and I would appreciate help on this.

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:11:15 pm

Hi, take a look of the video I made (this one is just Zorin by itself on its own drive but the principals are the same - I would advise you don't have XP mounted while you install Zorin! Be sure to have backed up everything before you attempt an install - Preparation prevails over potential losses! (to paraphrase Wolfman! :D )

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v67233697bJ2bS9jm

Also check out an earlier version of Zorin installed alongside XP and 7 - but disregard the 'swap area' in this video:

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v283328437Pyp3Byy

Wolfgang02

Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:16:21 pm

Have you tried this? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4635

Let us know how you get on.

schmod

Thu May 01, 2014 9:16:52 pm

I tried the boot repair Wolfgang suggested. It worked like a charm. All up and running now. Thanks for the help guys!

Wolfgang02

Fri May 02, 2014 11:25:12 am

You are welcome anytime.

Swarfendor437, how many jewels for that answer? :D

Swarfendor437

Sun May 04, 2014 11:08:24 pm

120 sir - well done! :D