This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Messed up my Video

MJTuc

Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:15:48 pm

Greetings,

I'm not sure what I did; however i attempted to put a 3rd Linux OS and now im unable to boot into Zorin 8 (Gamer) w/ 3.14.2 Kernel...

It' prompts me that video isn't woking and loads the graffic repair sequence. Zorin is alien to me so if anyone knows how I can reload my grafic interface i would be greatful.. I have a rescue disc and can boot to a live hive to access files... I tried the safeMode repair but to no avail.... (please forgive the misspelled words)

Regards,

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:13:14 pm

Hi and Welcome to Zorin! :D

Is there any way you could provide us with:

Make and Model of Desktop, CPU, Graphics Card?

What was the third OS you were trying to install?

Wolfman

Thu May 01, 2014 5:38:46 am

Hi,

further to Swarfs comments, try "Boot Repair" to firstly fix your Grub bootloader and/or the Zorin OS live CD:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

What were you doing to cause such a problem?, did you install the wrong graphic card dirvers?.

If you are forced to re-install for whatever reason, see this guide about using the "Something Else Method" to keep your data intact:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848

MJTuc

Fri May 02, 2014 2:37:33 am

> Instead of using the same Hard Drive I installed a second and selected add Mint keeping Zorin and then chose the second HD...
> Everything seemed ok but I'm able to boot into Mint but not Zorin.. I didn't add any drivers: This PC contains.......

> on board video.. Motherboard is a gigabyte (78LMT-USB3) (nothing spactacular about this setup)
> 8 gig Ram
> AM3+ 4 Core BlackEdition Processor
> All 64 bit
> I do have a repair disk that I will try but it's pretty complexed wth a ton of features...and I wanted some input before I tried.. (( SystemRescueCD 4.2.0 ))
> Thanks for the replies: I'm all ears......

Wolfman

Fri May 02, 2014 4:13:48 am

Hi,

if you chose to put the bootloader (GRUB) on the 2nd HDD, it will most likley not see the Zorin partitions on the 1st HDD, try using Boot Repair per my suggestion earlier!. :D The bootloader should be on the first HDD (dev/sda)

MJTuc

Sat May 03, 2014 3:26:54 am

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

if you chose to put the bootloader (GRUB) on the 2nd HDD, it will most likley not see the Zorin partitions on the 1st HDD, try using Boot Repair per my suggestion earlier!. :D The bootloader should be on the first HDD (dev/sda)

Your are correct!! I made the mistake of placing GRUB on the 2nd... the rescue disk worked once I knew what the problem was...

Thanks!!!