This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

sat receiver and tomtom, why windows?

dendeze

Thu May 01, 2014 8:23:58 pm

I wonder, to manipulate my tomtom or sat receiver i have to start up windows, this while tomtom and my sat receivers both work by linux.
Are there no programs that run under linux to do so?
For the sat receiver is a program for windows DCC (dreambox control center) to handle the receiver and dreamset to set the channels.
Then for tomtom, fast activate or fast tools premium i also have to start up windows.
I mean, is that not a little crazy? :mrgreen:

Wolfman

Fri May 02, 2014 4:57:48 am

Hi,

for satellite reception under Linux, the best app is "Kaffeine".

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1661

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1661

http://www.kde.org/applications/multimedia/kaffeine

For TomTom, you might have to regress to an older version of wine before it will work:

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... n&iId=3628

Join the petition and tell them you want Linux support!.

See also:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2175627

dendeze

Sat May 03, 2014 9:44:48 am

Hi, i think you misunderstood me, i don't want to see sat tv on my pc, i need a program as dcc for windows to handle my sat receiver.
I don't understand that there are no linux programs to do so becourse the sat receiver runs on linux, so why only win programs? Is there no linux software instead?

Wolfman

Sat May 03, 2014 8:31:21 pm

Hi,

sorry; I don't have another answer for you!. :(

Swarfendor437

Sun May 04, 2014 11:31:27 pm

Having just done a quick search, the answer is no go - you have to remember that whilst TomTom uses GNU/Linux, its apps are proprietary - = closed software! :(

Anonymous

Mon May 05, 2014 6:39:07 am

An additional point of view here is that it is a business decision from the company like TomTom that it has (only) Windows supported. There is 90% of its customers that have Windows os. and additional 10% can have some possibility to use Windows (like dualbooters). If there were more than 2% (as a small marginal group) customers using Linux, situation would be totally different. If there were some 10 times more, up to 20% of market using Linux, all support software would be available also to Linux os. That what os. or software is used in the devices, does not define at all the os. and software used in the customer support.

Swarfendor437

Mon May 05, 2014 9:21:51 am

Henriolavi wrote:An additional point of view here is that it is a business decision from the company like TomTom that it has (only) Windows supported. There is 90% of its customers that have Windows os. and additional 10% can have some possibility to use Windows (like dualbooters). If there were more than 2% (as a small marginal group) customers using Linux, situation would be totally different. If there were some 10 times more, up to 20% of market using Linux, all support software would be available also to Linux os. That what os. or software is used in the devices, does not define at all the os. and software used in the customer support.

I think that's irrelevant - it's just the same stance as Netgear - they use parts of GNU/Linux for their dongles - they just don't want to be bothered with open-source - in Netgear's case probably for reverse engineering - don't forget, if source code is made available then the competition might get it and make a better one! ;)

Anonymous

Mon May 05, 2014 11:41:09 am

What Swarfendor highlighted here, is an other thing. Both Windows and Linux softwares can be open source code or not. That is not however any main driver here to get only Windows software applications ie. to TomTom update services. I agree that open source software can be a risk to a company to have more competition to develop its software competitiveness, that is not a driver for a company like TomTom. The market shares, 90% for Windows and 2% for Linux, is however the most relevant driver here, where the companies put their effort and limited resources to develop needed software to customer services.

Swarfendor437

Mon May 05, 2014 11:44:22 am

It also depends what model of SatNav you have - apparently they released some updates that had malware int! :lol: