This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Missing Brother printer driver

jsgsix

Fri May 02, 2014 7:53:28 pm

I have been trying to install the printer drivers for a Brother HL-2240 laser printner but it is not on your list of printners for Brother. Zorin 8 finds the printer on usb but cannot find the appropriate drivers. What can I do?

Wolfgang02

Fri May 02, 2014 9:52:46 pm

Have you tried the Brother website?
http://support.brother.com/g/b/download ... _eu&os=128

I did that to get my brother printer to work over the network.

Go to the Brother website (http://support.brother.com/g/b/index.aspx)
then select the your country.
Then select Downloads
Then select your printer
Then select Linux
Then select Linux.deb
and there you go ! :D

It worked for me, so lets hope it works for you too. Let us know how you get on.

jsgsix

Fri May 02, 2014 11:24:14 pm

Yes, I tried that but I did not fully understand their Linux info.

Wolfgang02

Sat May 03, 2014 7:29:25 am

When trying to install Linux drivers, it can be hard to understand. This is why we need this forum. I am new here too so I will do my best to help. Maybe someone else may have a better idea but this is what I would do:

1. Find my driver from the brother website.
2. I would download "Driver Install Tool" (because it is the latest driver).
3. Agree to the terms.
4. Open the file in "Archive Manger"
5. Click "extract" and select a directory (folder). Click "extract" again.
I would extract it to Documents (I normally make a subdirectory called Drivers and I personally would place all drivers in that directory - but your call). If you would like to make a new directory, I would use Zorin File Manager (Nautilus) to make a subdirectory.
6. Open a terminal (start > accessories > terminal or <CTRL> + <ALT> + <T>).
7. Now change your directory to where you have extracted your driver.
Code:
cd Documents
(if you have placed the driver into a subdirectory then cd Documents/subdirectory) NOTE: if you have used spaces in your directory name (eg sub directory) then your code would be: cd Documents/sub\ directory and remember Documents is a different directory to documents.
Code:
sudo bash linux-brprinter-installer-2.0.0-1 HL-2240

9. Enter your password.
10. Follow the onscreen prompts but:
When you see the message "Will you specify the DeviceURI ?",

For USB: Choose N(No)
For Network: Choose Y(Yes) - You will need to enter the network address for your printer.

That should do it. Let us know how you get on. :D

Wolfman

Sat May 03, 2014 8:26:18 pm

Hi,

open Synaptic and type "brother" in search and install all the packages you can find and then run the printer tool in System Settings > Hardware > Printers.

jsgsix

Sun May 04, 2014 2:50:57 pm

Thanks Wolfgang2. Everything with Brother's "Driver Install Tool" worked great. The biggest problem I had was the fact that I had created a sub folder in Documents called "Printer Drivers." Then I created another subfolder within that folder for "Brother Printer Drivers." When I got into the command line I could not navigate to the "Brother Printer Driver" folder. I am not very familiar with Linux commands at this point. I ended up moving the Brother file, linux-brprinter-installer-2.0.0-1, to the Documents folder and then ran the Linux command line you supplied from there. After that everything went great. Is there anyway that the Brother Printer Driver for their HL-2240 laser printer could be added to your Brother Printer drivers data base so others will not have to go through what i DID? Thanks again.

Wolfgang02

Sun May 04, 2014 8:23:59 pm

jsgsix wrote:Thanks Wolfgang2. Everything with Brother's "Driver Install Tool" worked great. The biggest problem I had was the fact that I had created a sub folder in Documents called "Printer Drivers." Then I created another subfolder within that folder for "Brother Printer Drivers." When I got into the command line I could not navigate to the "Brother Printer Driver" folder. I am not very familiar with Linux commands at this point.

I can understand why you may struggle to navigate to sub directories with spaces in them. In Linux, you change a sub directory by the forward slash (ie / ) but if you have spaces you use the back slash before your space (ie \ ).

For example, in your case:
Code:
cd Documents/Printer\ Drivers/Brother\ Printer\ Driver

The forward slash is letting the kernel understand to look for a directory (sometimes called folders - but I am used to DOS and they were called directories back then :lol: ) and the back slash is telling the kernel that the following space is part of the directory and NOT an option. Does that make sense?

jsgsix wrote:I ended up moving the Brother file, linux-brprinter-installer-2.0.0-1, to the Documents folder and then ran the Linux command line you supplied from there. After that everything went great.

Fantastic - glad to be of help :D , Wolfman and others have helped me loads and it is nice to be able to contribute as well.

jsgsix wrote:Is there anyway that the Brother Printer Driver for their HL-2240 laser printer could be added to your Brother Printer drivers data base so others will not have to go through what i DID? Thanks again.

Umm, good question. One for the developers may be. Not sure how to add it to Synaptic.

Wolfman, did suggest to go to Synaptic to download it but I was not able to find it. May be they are there but we need to know how to find them. Wolfman, may be able to tell us?

Swarfendor437

Sun May 04, 2014 11:53:56 pm

Another 60 blue jewels to Wolfgang02! :D