This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Update Error Message

Anonymous

Sat May 03, 2014 4:27:03 pm

Greetings. I get this error message and I am not sure what to do to fix it...

Wolfgang02

Sat May 03, 2014 8:08:56 pm

A little more info if possible :)

What was happening before you got this message, was it a system update or was you installing a piece of software?

Wolfman

Sat May 03, 2014 8:13:41 pm

hi,

see the update guide and in particular the software sources settings, make sure all the boxes have a tick in them!:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Anonymous

Sun May 04, 2014 8:12:57 am

Wolfgang02 wrote:A little more info if possible :)

What was happening before you got this message, was it a system update or was you installing a piece of software?

The only thing I remember doing before this started was trying to install Canon Printer Drivers for my MX340. However, the printer now works and it seems the drivers where never needed.

Wolfman wrote:hi,

see the update guide and in particular the software sources settings, make sure all the boxes have a tick in them!:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

I understand Zorin OS 6 (LTS) uses Ubuntu 12.04.04, but I am not sure I see the same screens on my end that your link shows. If you can provide me with an easier to understand guide, I would be more than willing to give it a try. I do wish Zorin OS had a little more cleaner guides when it comes to helping people solve problems. I get overwhelmed with so much clutter on this forum.

Wolfman

Sun May 04, 2014 9:54:43 am

Hi,

scroll down to this bit "Software Sources Settings:"

Sorry about the "Clutter"!. :D

This is a lot cleaner:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu

Anonymous

Sun May 04, 2014 12:54:14 pm

I looked at the link provided, but I am not sure I understand what I was following. I did click the few things, but I still have the same error.

Wolfgang02

Sun May 04, 2014 9:05:43 pm

You could try (not saying it will solve your problem but it might). It is how I update my system. I have in a script file which I run. I am happy to show you how to put it into a script as it is very easy.

In terminal (Start > Accessories > Terminal or <CTRL> + <ALT> + T)
Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f && sudo apt-get autoremove && sudo apt-get autoclean

The only problem is sometimes you have to type your password in a couple of times. I have read that this could be made shorter by:
Code:
sudo /bin/sh -c "apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade && apt-get autoremove && apt-get autoclean"

But i have not tried it.
Give it a go and see if it helps.

Just so you understand what is happening when you run this command (if you already know, then I appologise but I like to include it in case another person would like to know):

sudo - Gives root permission to run the command for extra security.

apt-get update - Generates a list of applications (and their dependencies) already installed on your computer and updates a list on your computer. It does not install any software nor remove anything. For more accurate and more information please refer to the man page (I believe) http://linux.die.net/man/8/apt-get

apt-get upgrade - Installs all the newest versions of software on your computer.

dist-upgrade - Installs any dependencies which may be needed. For instance if you install a program which runs on java but you do not have java installed, when you run this command it will install java on your behalf. I use the -f option (sometimes called a switch) to fix and install any dependencies. You can leave the -f option out and the system will update any dependencies as required.

autoremove - removes old versions of installed programs. I do stand to be corrected as I have also read it removes any program which is not needed. You can leave it out and the system will still upgrade and dist-upgrade

autoclean - deletes any files that have been downloaded during the upgrade and dist-upgrade which are no longer needed. Can also be left off.

I hope that works and let us know how you get on.

Swarfendor437

Sun May 04, 2014 11:57:02 pm

See my similar issue here:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7084&hilit=Kingsoft+Lottery&start=10#p33766

Just replace 'Kingsoft-Office' with the canon name from your screenshot! :D

Wolfman

Tue May 06, 2014 4:55:41 am

Hi,

again I must refer you to the update guide and this time to the "Software Sources Download Location", you need to change the location of your your sources downloads and choose a different download location:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Software & Updates_007.jpg

Choose a Download Server_006.jpg

You still need to check that all the PPA'S have a tick in the boxes:
Software & Updates_005.jpg