This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

problems during shutdown

lmhjcr

Sat May 03, 2014 4:49:41 pm

Hello,
I have been using the Zorin Lite version 6 live cd on my old desktop pc (dell dimension) running windows xp for about a month now. I really do like it but have an issue when trying to shut down. I downloaded the .iso from http://zorin-os.com/free6.html and everything works great until I go to shut down.

After clicking to shut down the computer freezes / hangs. I click to shut down and then a few seconds later the cd tray opens and the white circles on the center of the screen / monitor just keep rotating. I have actually waited for a full 30 minutes and it never shuts down. To shut down the computer I have to use ctrl+alt+del and it that a few times before the computer shuts down.

I have even tried downloading the .iso and burning it again (thinking that even though the md5sum matched) there might be a problem. But it occurs no matter which cd I use.

I really would like to install this on that Dell Dimension 4400 (2GB Ram) and pentium processor in place of Windows XP but am concerned that it will not shut down for me.

Can anyone shed some light on what this issue might be.

Thanks so Very Much

Wolfman

Sat May 03, 2014 8:22:12 pm

Hi,

run this terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) command and see if you still have the problem after a restart!:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

Swarfendor437

Sun May 04, 2014 11:22:59 pm

Hi, Wolfman, he has been running it Live not installed! ;)

It is possible that your RAM has locked up - when operating in Live mode, Zorin is running entirely in RAM so it could be that - have you run Memtest that comes on the disk to check your memory is ok? :D

Anonymous

Mon May 05, 2014 5:23:52 am

Hi

I believe that it is normal behavior of that distro when using a CD live. I had the same feature with Zorin 8 Core running DVDlive. When shutting down, it opens the tray and on the screen appears just a text "Remove the media and hit Enter" then it shuts down entirely. So try to hit "Enter" if that works also in your case. I believe that there aren't anything wrong with your PC or CD.

It behaves totally differently if you use a USBlive or installed to HDD. So this shutdown feature from a CD or DVDlive does not tell anything how it works in other type of installations. If you still hesitate to install it to HDD, so make a persistent USBlive or USBfull installation to a high speed USBFlash Drive (USB 3.0) and run it there even more normal way, if you have at least a USB 2.0 spec. port available.

Swarfendor437

Mon May 05, 2014 9:37:23 am

I have noticed an issue with 8 come to think of it - not had any such issues with other distros that shut down correctly when pressing the enter key after removal (or non-removal) of disc.

Anonymous

Mon May 05, 2014 10:11:17 am

Yes, I tried again to use DVDlive with my Zorin 8 Core and it behaves just as I described. It requires the pressing of "Enter" to close. Othervice It doesn't do anything.

Swarfendor437

Mon May 05, 2014 10:12:51 am

No, what i mean is it has on occasions refused to shut down even after pressing enter - and this is a fairly modern rig! ;)

Anonymous

Mon May 05, 2014 10:34:03 am

May be that I understood slightly wrong, but I only made the test to convince that the behavior is what I remembered.

lmhjcr

Mon May 05, 2014 1:49:21 pm

Thanks for getting back to me. I really do appreciate it!

After multiple uses with the LiveCD and having the same issue every time I decided to run the MemTest and that all came back just fine. I hadn't even thought that the RAM could be locking up but for some reason decided to run the memtest - just in case and turns out that at least I now know that it isn't an issue with the RAM and the memory is working perfectly. Oddly enough I had actually even opened up the tower and checked to make sure that everything was seated properly inside.

I do not get a message saying to press enter after the cd is ejected but I started the pc with the cd again and then shut it down (just to make sure I wasn't missing the message) but this time after the cd was ejected I pressed enter (even though there is no message saying to do that) and it worked! Gee, and all this time I have been just sitting there waiting for it to shut down and then finally hitting ctrl+alt+del to shut it down.

Now that I know that this Dell Dimension (originally purchased back when XP came out) will shut down when running Zorin I will go ahead and install it onto the machine and get rid of the XP Professional.

I would have liked to have gone with a newer version but the Zorin Lite version 6 is the only one that will fit onto a CD and this pc does not have a DVD drive. I do have an external DVD drive connected to the pc via usb port but I can't start the pc with a disc in that drive and the CD drive will not start with a DVD in the CD drive so I am stuck using the Zorin Lite version 6. I did check and once I have installed it onto the machine and gotten rid of the Windows XP Professional it does appear that I can in fact download the other items that are included on the full version onto the machine and it does have a 160GB hard drive so that is not an issue either. Too bad I can't go with a newer version - but at least I can now get rid of the XP on that machine and use it without any issues.

Thanks Again :)

Anonymous

Mon May 05, 2014 2:27:53 pm

Can you boot from a USB Flash Drive bigger than CD so that you could use some more up to date distro ? Zorin 6 Lite is not supported any more and Zorin 8 Lite doesn't fit to a CD due to its size is 910 Mb. If it is possible to boot from a USB drive make a bootable drive from your downloaded .iso file using a installer software like Universal USB Installer which is a Windows software or UNetbootin which is also available as Windows version.
Here is the links to download the installer softwares:
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal- ... -as-1-2-3/
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Wolfman

Tue May 06, 2014 6:07:53 am

Hi,

when you burnt the disk, did you follow this advice?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

lmhjcr

Tue May 06, 2014 8:34:37 pm

Unfortunately, no I cannot boot from a USB/Flash Drive. I checked in the Bios and there is no option for booting from the usb port on that desktop. Id did try booting from a flash drive anyway (just figured I would try) but wouldn't work. Also tried booting from the DVD drive that is connected via a USB port with no luck either.

I really would rather go with a more up to date version but the only version that will fit onto a CD is the version 6 lite. Would there be an option or way to upgrade to a newer version once I install Zorin Lite version 6 onto that desktop?

Thanks for the suggestion - wish it would work. I did try using the Plop Boot Manager to boot from a USB but it freezes up when I try that. I forget exactly where it freezes when using the Plop Boot Manager but it is somewhere when it is searching for something - shortly after it starts up. I can try it again and let you know where it freezes if that would help.

Thanks Again! :)

Swarfendor437

Tue May 06, 2014 10:21:48 pm

I'm afraid it is not possible to upgrade from one to another - this might help you though! ;)

http://www.instantfundas.com/2007/08/in ... -from.html

Anonymous

Wed May 07, 2014 6:24:47 am

Hi

Here is also a link to non conventional installation methods:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6877

lmhjcr

Sat May 10, 2014 10:41:25 pm

Thanks for the suggestions for possible ways to do an install instead of just settling with the outdated version. I will most definitely check them out this weekend.

Thanks Again!

Lisa

Wolfman

Sun May 11, 2014 6:45:56 am

Hi Lisa,

even if you cannot get Zorin OS installed, try the Lubuntu "Alternate Installer":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi-VPj4jzrg

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubun ... malInstall

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubun ... ateInstall

I hope it helps!. :D

Swarfendor437

Sun May 11, 2014 1:30:59 pm

Hi Lisa, and before you go deleting any GNU/Linux install I can highly recommend MultiSystem - to me the best USB tool in the GNU/Linux world - I have about 6 or 8 distros and I used it to install one on a friends computer:

http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownload ... 55623.html

Extract the downloaded tarball, navigate to where the '.sh' file is installed and enter:

sh /home/username/Desktop/FILENAME.sh

the above has made the assumption the downloaded file is on your Desktop - if in 'Downloads' change that bit to 'Downloades'.

lmhjcr

Wed May 14, 2014 6:13:55 pm

Wow - didn't think that I was going to be able to have so many options to choose from! Will have to check out the other suggestions as well.

I did read through the link that swarfendor 437 gave me at http://www.instantfundas.com/2007/08/in ... -from.html and I have a question. The hard drive is 160 GB and is formatted as NTFS with no partitions. Would or should I partition the hard drive first before following those steps?

I did find the files that were mentioned for the Zorin version 8.1 (in step 2) but they are located in a folder titled Casper not the isolinux folder as described in step number 2. Haven't gone any further since I really wasn't sure if I needed to partition the hard drive first (or how to do that - started looking into that as well)

Step 3 states to take those files and copy them to c:\boot (if partitioning the hard drive since Windows XP is on the hard drive and the drive is formatted as NTFS --- which is where I figured I had better stop and ask before going any further.

I am guessing that perhaps I should explain that the Dell has an Intel Pentium 4 CPU 1.60 GHz 1.59GHz, 2.00 GB RAM installed in it.

Will also check out those other links in the meantime as well.

Again, Thanks So Very Much!
Lisa :)

Swarfendor437

Wed May 14, 2014 7:37:04 pm

Hi, I think I am getting a little lost too! :oops:

To start from scratch, can I ask:

1. Are you wanting to dual-boot so that you have the choice of booting into Windows or GNU/Linux?

2. Are you wanting to install GNU/Linux and nothing else? (I had made an assumption in my last post that you had already got some form of GNU/Linux on the system - MultiSystem for flash drives will only work if you already have a GNU/Linux OS on board.

Sorry to be an absolute pain but could you remind me of what you are aiming to do? Then we can provide the appropriate advice! ;)

Wolfman

Thu May 15, 2014 5:52:00 am

Hi Lisa,

partitioning guide here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

There are different scenarios, the first one is for dual booting, the last one completely for Linux!.