This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Brightness Keys fail Zorin OS 8 64bit

jcryan1988

Sun May 04, 2014 1:10:55 pm

Hello how is everyone? I have been using Zorin 7 for quite sometime and loved it. I came across Zorin 8 and liked it even more, my Windows partition decided to go ballistic and I had had enough, I made a backup of all my files and dedicated the entire hard drive to Zorin 8 running Windows on a virtual machine in case I ever need it... So far I love this OS, it is here to stay. I have one problem though, I am running 64 bit Zorin OS on my Dell Inspiron N4010 laptop and my F keys for screen brightness do not work. I don't know why but this is not the first time this has happened to me, Versions of Ubuntu, Mint, Pinguy, and a couple others I have tried do the same thing. They worked in Zorin 7, but not this one. A while back someone on an Ubuntu forum wrote a script for me to get it working but I lost that script, and i'm not sure it would work with Zorin 8 anyway. If there is someone that could point me in the right direction for my problem it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much, hope to hear from someone soon. :D

Wolfgang02

Sun May 04, 2014 9:44:26 pm

I am new here so possible not correct but could it be a driver fault?

Looked at this: http://askubuntu.com/questions/57236/unable-to-change-brightness-in-a-lenovo-laptop/57610#57610

There is a way of using the ls command to check if the correct driver is installed but not too sure how to use it so I would not like to give advice but I hope this is a good starting point for you.

Swarfendor437

Mon May 05, 2014 12:00:11 am

See this here which mentions a script - you need to scroll down to get to it:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2042459

Wolfman

Tue May 06, 2014 6:10:46 am

Hi,

try doing a full system update with this terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) command:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

Restart after running the above!.

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

jcryan1988

Tue May 13, 2014 8:47:29 am

Hello,

Wolfman I tried the code but it didn't make a difference. when I try the brightness keys the little box shows up with the slider and it moves but goes back to where it was and the screen dont change. Is it safe to copy and paste a script from a forum?

Wolfgang02

Tue May 13, 2014 9:30:53 am

I have done that and been Ok. Just do your homework before you start. Look how to resolve it if it goes it wrong,

If you get the script from this forum or from Ubuntu's forum then I would say you are OK.

Have you looked at this post?
http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4435

Wolfman

Tue May 13, 2014 1:20:20 pm

jcryan1988 wrote:Hello,

Wolfman I tried the code but it didn't make a difference. when I try the brightness keys the little box shows up with the slider and it moves but goes back to where it was and the screen dont change. Is it safe to copy and paste a script from a forum?

Hi,

did you check System Settings > Personal > Brightness & Lock and set the slider there?.

Just in case it is related to any screensaver activity, paste the following command in a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t):

Code:
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.screensaver idle-activation-enabled false