This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) rotating colours on booting the live disk?

crashman39

Sun May 04, 2014 1:29:03 pm

Hi All
I'm trying to run the zorin 8 ultimate live disk on a dell xps m1730 ( yes it an older machine) but I think the Problem might be the dual graphics cards , because i have booted up the utimate version of Zorin 8 on my acer aspire 8920 and its running like a charm :).
this is the Machine http://www.cnet.com/products/dell-xps-m1730/specs/ I have a ssd in it which I'm going to use as the main drive .

I want to use Zorin instead of windows , I have loaded win 7 on it and it runs ok , but I dont play major games

SO I wonder if anyone has some tips to that might make it work ?

also i have tried the zorin 8 32bit lite , no joy .

thanks
Crashman39

Wolfgang02

Sun May 04, 2014 10:35:41 pm

It is a graphics card issue.

The XPS is a good laptop and I like it as I bought one for my son but from memory you have to install the nvidia graphics card seperate. I have not moved that over to Zorin yet as I am waiting for the next LTS.

Wolfman wrote a topic on how to do it. You can PM him and he will tell you.

crashman39

Mon May 05, 2014 4:54:36 am

Wolfgang02 wrote:It is a graphics card issue.

The XPS is a good laptop and I like it as I bought one for my son but from memory you have to install the nvidia graphics card seperate. I have not moved that over to Zorin yet as I am waiting for the next LTS.

Wolfman wrote a topic on how to do it. You can PM him and he will tell you.

Hi Wolfgang02
and well I got it to work on both 32bit lite and the 64bit ultimate, YAY!! .. after doing some reading in the installation section of the forum , now to install , that means partitioning the ssd, :( but here goes nothing, :)

btw thanks for the answer to Wolfgang02 ,

have a good day , I'll let you know when i get it installed and the navida drivers working :)

Wolfgang02

Mon May 05, 2014 6:48:21 am

crashman39 wrote:Hi Wolfgang02
and well I got it to work on both 32bit lite and the 64bit ultimate, YAY!! .. after doing some reading in the installation section of the forum , now to install , that means partitioning the ssd, :( but here goes nothing, :)

btw thanks for the answer to Wolfgang02 ,

have a good day , I'll let you know when i get it installed and the navida drivers working :)

I am really happy you managed to get it to work on both the 32 and 64 bit. :D

If you need any further help, we would love to help you and please do keep in touch and let us know how you get on :D

crashman39

Mon May 05, 2014 7:22:22 am

well got to install ok but the problem is now that I still get the same error :( but i can get back in via the recovery mode ,as a guest , my biggest prob is getting grub to save the forcevesa command :( and then get the nvidia drivers installed :( so any help will be greatly accepted , I'm still learning more of linux having dabbled with it over the years ....

Thanks in advance

Crashman39

I will be out for a couple of hours doing Gonkown so I'll check back this evening :)

Swarfendor437

Mon May 05, 2014 9:28:59 am

Here you go for making the grub options permanent - you need to scroll down a bit to get to the part you want:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132

As for the nVidia drivers, don't go above 304-updated - go to 'Software Updater; (Menu | System Tools | Administration | Software Updater) wait for it to finish it's scan, then click on 'Settings' Button and then click on 'Additional Drivers' tab - make sure you are online - you will need to wait some time before the tab 'refreshes' with the additional drivers that will be available to you. :D

Wolfman

Tue May 06, 2014 5:17:43 am

Hi,

for Nvidia drivers see here (read the wholde thread!):

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490

crashman39

Fri May 09, 2014 11:31:44 am

HI wolfman and swarfendor437
thanks for the info , I managed to change the grub file to get the commands in , but I'm having trubs with issuing the update grub command.

her is the situation , I managed to get to the correct dir via the live disk , cding to the media/live/(long number for SDA partition) and then updating grub ....I didn't issue update grub :( so when i rebooted it was still colour cycling ... so now i have to issue the update grub command by sudoing to the sda update grub file ?

again thanks for the help ....
crashman39

Swarfendor437

Fri May 09, 2014 11:56:09 am

Can you boot into the Desktop at all? Open a terminal from the desktop and run the update command in a terminal there! :D

crashman39

Fri May 09, 2014 12:04:00 pm

Hi swarfendor437

no the only other way is into recovery mode.... any otherway will just end up in colour cycling , :( but i can boot into command line ...

Crashman39

Wolfman

Fri May 09, 2014 1:46:46 pm

Hi,

boot the live CD and open a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) and paste this command:

Code:
sudo update-grub

Restart and take out the live CD and see if it fixesthings for you!.

crashman39

Tue May 13, 2014 4:07:57 am

Hi Wolfman
no joy it gave me the following error :
/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: failed to get canonical path of /cow.
live@live:~$
I tried entering it manually and same thing .... would i have to cd down to the hard drive to get it work?

Thanks mate
:)

Wolfman

Tue May 13, 2014 4:41:34 am

Hi,

odd that that command doesn't work?, try downloading Boot Repair and using that:

http://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair-cd/home/Home/

Make sure you download the correct version for your system, either 32 or 64 bit!. :D

crashman39

Tue May 13, 2014 5:11:24 am

ok will try it , just another bit of info that might be helpful is I'm running a partition ssd

Regards
Crashman39

Wolfman

Tue May 13, 2014 5:14:12 am

Do us a favour and post a screenshot of your partition layout please!. :D

crashman39

Tue May 13, 2014 9:24:22 am

drive-layout.png
drive lay out

here is the lay out ...

crashman39

Tue May 13, 2014 12:00:14 pm

Now i managed to get the grub updated and booting but it will only let me in as guest ...... :( but i get to the zorin boot screen where you get the choice of whatt you want to boot , the other thing is that once in guest I cant sudo or Change to my login..

so atm I'm going reboot the machine with a mechanical hdd in it and see if its better and atm ubuntu 1304 booted up with a acpi=off and nomodeset to gui with out trubs , and atm d/l kbuntu and lubuntu lateest versions .. just to see how they go ....i dont think the hdd is the real prob, it could be just me ....
regards
Crashman

Swarfendor437

Tue May 13, 2014 12:00:33 pm

Could you please use 'GParted' instead of 'System Monitor' Please! :D

crashman39

Tue May 13, 2014 1:10:16 pm

yep standby

Wolfman

Tue May 13, 2014 1:14:32 pm

Hi,

for the login problem:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7401

crashman39

Tue May 13, 2014 1:16:27 pm

here is the 160gig mechanical hdd partition table I'm about to install to it just for stamps and see if it is a prob with the ssd

Wolfman

Tue May 13, 2014 1:22:46 pm

Hi,

swap (equal or double to your RAM but not more than 4GB!) should be the first partition on the left and you only need about 20GB for root, the rest you can use as home!.

crashman39

Sun May 18, 2014 11:39:28 pm

well I have got it working Like are Charm , Thanks for The Help Guys now just to if i can the fans to maybe work a bit better with maybe the acpi command but that will come with research .
here is the screen shot and I got the ssd to work and now to do stuff and miigrate off windows and use it as a gaming machine , until the games move over to linux

Screenshot.png
here it is in 1900X1200 glory

Wolfman

Mon May 19, 2014 6:04:51 am

Great news, can we mark this as solved?. :D

crashman39

Mon May 19, 2014 1:59:19 pm

yep its solved again thank you for the help :)

regards
Crashman39