This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Softwae Update Causes Chrome Shortcut to Break

nobloat

Mon May 05, 2014 3:58:32 am

In Zorin 8, in the admin account (the one created during Zorin install with a password), I did a security and software apps update for, Chrome, and all the apps shown by default.
After the update the database for one of my apps (KeePass2) disappeared.
Before the update the Keepass database was in a sub-directory in my Home directory.
Also, the Chrome shortcut in my Guest account stopped working (still works in the Admin account).
I'm guessing that Chrome is still available in the Guest account, and the original path to Chrome somehow changed when I updated?
Why the KeePass database disappeared is a mystery.
The database for Keepass might still be there but I'm not experienced enough to do a Linux search of the entire install.
Your thoughts?

John

P.S. I like Zorin so much that I decided to install it on a second PC that runs Windows-XP.
I did the dual boot install so that I can still run my legacy XP apps, but no longer go on the Internet with XP

Wolfman

Tue May 06, 2014 5:39:21 am

Hi,

open a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) and run this command:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

It might be a case of missing dependencies?, see also:

Restart after running command!.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

nobloat

Wed May 07, 2014 4:13:47 am

Wolfman,
I ran the command line as you instructed. However, while it was running I accidentally interrupted it. So I ran it again to completion and restarted. No error messages during restart, so the update/upgrade command line appears to have run OK. The Chrome shortcut in the GUEST account still does not run Chrome. I had created another non-admin account before I received your response to my questions. The new non-admin account's shortcut to Chrome indeed runs Chrome. Also, the KeePass app finds the database file after I ran the your command line.
I marked this "Solved" so as to free you up to work more pressing issues than my minor stuff.
Many thanks.
John

Wolfman

Wed May 07, 2014 6:53:25 am

Hi John,

did you do a disk install per chance?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

nobloat

Wed May 07, 2014 9:02:15 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi John,

did you do a disk install per chance?:

http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewtop ... f=5&t=4771

Hi Wolfman,
Yes, I installed Zorin8.1 (using bootable Live flash drive) to a 40 Gb partition on my hard disk - now I can dual boot to WIN-XP & Zorin
I'm open to any recommendations you may have

Wolfman

Thu May 08, 2014 9:38:13 am

Hi John,

try these 2 terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) commands and then restart:

Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a

Then:

Code:

I would also try changing your software sources download location before you run the above commands, see the update guide for more info:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

nobloat

Sat May 10, 2014 5:23:29 am

try these 2 terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) commands and then restart:

Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a

Then:

Code:

I would also try changing your software sources download location before you run the above commands, see the update guide for more info:

http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewtop ... f=5&t=2247

Hi Wolfman:
When I opened Software Updates, it surprised me and automatically performed an update using the sources that mimic'd your recommendations in your tutorial.
i.e. my software sources where set earlierr to your recommendatoins. I did notice some mismatches between the source listings in your tutorial screen snapshots and the current software source listings. I just took my best guesses, earllier, when there were mismatches.
Then I rebooted.
Then I ran the two command lines you recommended and at the end of the long list of actions it took, I saw the following message:
"0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove, and 0 not upgraded"

I rebooted again and noted that the behavior of the Admin, Guest and previously created new Non-Admin (aka: Standard) accounts remains same as before.
At this point the in the new Non-Admin account: the Chrome browser shortcut works, and my Keepass database is there and Keepass works.

If you have a simple way that I can use to remove the Guest account (it has the broken chrome shortcut & lost the path to the Keepass database put there earlier), that would be great. When in the Admin account, going to user account management, I cannot see the Guest account to remove it.
Otherwise, it's OK if the Guest account remains, I just won't use it, and I'll mush on.
Thanks,
John

Wolfman

Sat May 10, 2014 5:38:33 am

Hi John,

install the package "gnome-system-tools" which will add an icon in the main menu under "Users and Groups", armed with this tool you can setup accounts and how the guest accounts react with the OS, you can select how much access the guest has with regards to network or printing and other areas of the PC!!. You can also delete accounts!.

Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome-system-tools

See also:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/66718/ho ... and-groups

After deleting the guest account and a restart, open a terminal and paste this command:

Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a

and then do this baby again:

Code:

nobloat

Sun May 11, 2014 2:12:09 am

install the package "gnome-system-tools" which will add an icon in the main menu under "Users and Groups", armed with this tool you can setup accounts and how the guest accounts react with the OS, you can select how much access the guest has with regards to network or printing and other areas of the PC!!. You can also delete accounts!.

Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome-system-tools

See also:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/66718/ho ... and-groups

After deleting the guest account and a restart, open a terminal and paste this command:

Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a

and then do this baby again:

Code:

Hi Wolfman,
Many thanks for the info on this tool!!
I will definitely add and use it.
John