This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Zorin License

SimonVM

Tue May 06, 2014 12:54:59 am

Greetings, Folks.

According to Softpedia, Zorin 8.1 Core and Educational, and Zorin 8 Lite and Gaming are released under a GNU General Public License, version 2.

Can anyone here confirm that this is indeed the case?

Take care,
Simon

Wolfgang02

Tue May 06, 2014 1:20:48 am

Yes we can confirm this. If you go to the zorin-os website it confirms that core, lite, educational and gaming are all free.

To download, www.zorin-os.com > Get It > Free > Zorin OS 8 then select which you prefer, core is default but if you look on the grey bar where it says "Download" on the right it has Core, Lite, Educational and Gaming. Just select which you prefer.

SimonVM

Tue May 06, 2014 1:49:09 am

Greetings, Wolfgang.

(I did write a response to your other answer, in "From Windows to Zorin", but, for some reason, it has to be approved by a mod before it gets posted.)

I know it's free (I've downloaded them all -smile-) but I can't seem to find a GPL LICENSE.TXT within the iso's, and, as far as I know, that is mandatory for software released under the GPL license. I can't seem to find a copyright message either, so I'm getting a little confused. Is Zorin copyleft or copyright? I really admire Stallman's ideas and philosophy, and I don't want become a criminal if I change Zorin's boot screen and give a copy to my daughter... LOL

Take care,
Simon

Wolfman

Tue May 06, 2014 5:08:26 am

Hi Simon,

I don't know where the license is hidden but you can use Zorin OS Free no problem without fear of being arrested by the NSA or someone!. :D

SimonVM

Tue May 06, 2014 2:07:03 pm

Thx, all.