This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Printer/Scanner Combo that Works With Zorin?

Wireaddict

Tue May 06, 2014 2:54:47 am

I've submitted at least one post here about problems getting my Canon D420 commercial grade printer/scanner to work with Zorin. I have free customer support from Zorin OS & they told me how to get it to work previously. Unfortunately this computer had a HDD with an intermittent problem that made it crash about every two months so I had to reinstall Zorin then all the instructions for the printer & scanner. I got this & several other problems fixed now but, this time, I have problems getting the printer & scanner to work even with the instructions from Zorin support. I may contact them, of course that's an option, but frankly I'm tired of fighting with the Canon unit, reinstalling Zorin & setting everything up each time was enough trouble so getting another combination printer/scanner unit is looking more like the best way to go. So, have any Zorin users purchased a printer/scanner combo that detected automatically & worked with no trouble like a keyboard, mouse & most monitors do? I visited Ubuntu's certified hardware site but it didn't show any printers or scanners. Also, does anyone know if Zorin v7 or 8 DVDs come with drivers for a Canon D420? I currently use Zorin OS v6, Multimedia Edition, incidentally. Thanks for the help!

Wolfman

Tue May 06, 2014 6:38:58 am

Hi,

any HP printer/scanner, they are well supported!.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HpAllInOne

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/su ... index.html

I looked for the drivers but cannot find them on the Canon Asia site which is normally where I am lucky!:

http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/?personal

Write to Canon and tell them off!.

Wolfgang02

Tue May 06, 2014 8:10:52 am

I use Brother printers/ scanners as these have Linux drivers but installing them requires the use of command prompt. I think the HP ones work with out the need for command prompt (need to check that).

I have looked and Epson also have Linux drivers on their website but I have never installed one but it could be another solution for you.

Swarfendor437

Tue May 06, 2014 9:13:09 pm

A good place to start would be here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5440

Wireaddict

Thu May 08, 2014 3:40:40 am

Thanks for the help! I just ordered a HP M1536dnf MFP laser duplex printer/scanner. I'm looking forward to having a dependable printer & scanner!

Wolfman

Thu May 08, 2014 6:33:13 am

Hi,

make sure you plug the printer in before booting your PC and then use (install) HPLip Toolbox (hplip-gui), see the post install guide and the printer section for HP printer info:

http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewtop ... f=5&t=2054

Code:
sudo apt-get install hplip-gui

Good luck!. :D

Wireaddict

Fri May 09, 2014 7:09:01 am

Thanks Wolfman. I've got the HP printer/scanner already but it'll probably be a few weeks before I can install it; seems like every time I fix one issue I get another one just as bad. I added a graphics card that was certified by Ubuntu [instead of just a connector on the motherboard that I originally used] so it would display the grub menu & desktop more consistently but now, after installing the updates, it displays the grub menu & then an empty desktop background with nothing there but a black vertical line on the right side of the screen unless I boot into recovery mode>network>dpkg>alt,ctrl,del, etc., which only works for that occasion. I'm planning to send this computer to Zorin in Ireland to see what they can do if they're willing. Computer shops here in the US have no Linux experience. Hopefully their v8 or the next version will be more tolerant. [I should probably add here that my other computer, a 64-bit Toshiba laptop that I'm typing this on, also runs Zorin 6 & I've never had any trouble with it.] Regards.

Wolfman

Fri May 09, 2014 8:01:34 am

Hi WA,

what graphics drivers did you install?.

You can remove them from the recovery menu if you know the exact package name.

Recovery mode > Activate "Network" (Network cable required) go to "root" > type in (as an example):

Code:
sudo apt-get remove nvidia-current

Restart with Ctrl +Alt + Del (Important!)

Do another update once you restart for that just-in-case scenario!.

Wireaddict

Sat May 10, 2014 5:01:53 am

I didn't knowingly install any drivers with the new graphics card unless one or more were included in the package of 500+ updates. The new graphics card is an Asus Radeon HD6450 & appeared to work immediately. And I did a complete Zorin reinstall after I installed the new graphics card. I would hope there's nothing in the update package that's causing a conflict, if so, you'd think it would bite others to the extent that Ubuntu would hear about it & remedy it.

Wolfman

Sat May 10, 2014 5:10:29 am

Hi,

okay try this:

Recovery mode > Activate "Network" (Network cable required) go to "root" > type in the following command:

Code:
sudo apt-get install fglrx

Let it do its thing and restart your PC with Ctrl + Alt + Del, NO NOT CLICK ON RESUME!.

And see if that fixes the problem, check for updates too!.

Wireaddict

Sun May 11, 2014 6:05:48 am

Thanks again, Wolfman! So far, so good but time will tell. A week ago I had this computer booting up normally & running OK for 2 days before problems appeared so I'll give it a little time. I'll let you [& Zorin in Eire, too] know in a few days if this keeps the gremlins away, sooner if it stops working; I really didn't want to pay to ship the computer there & probably back! Regards.

Wolfman

Sun May 11, 2014 6:15:52 am

Hi WA,

as long as you keep the system up-to-date, there shouldn't be any major problems, please see the update guide for more info on fixing things!:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

The best terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) command you can use is the following as it drags in any missing dependencies which I recommend you using!:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

Rother49

Sun May 11, 2014 8:09:22 am

Hi a bit late, but i have a brother MFC 465 CN.
the setup was easier than with windows it took a couple of minutes, the drivers are all listed in package manager, if you just put brother in search box then go through them you can see which one to buy.
Rother

Wireaddict

Tue May 13, 2014 6:06:04 am

Hi again. It appears that the fglrx driver & any updates I may have installed for my new graphics card work; went all weekend with no issues & just finished installing the HPLIp package[s] for my new printer/scanner & that works too. Because of the number of hardware & software issues I've had with this computer I'd prefer to wait another week to mark this issue as 'solved' but I can see that happening.

Wireaddict

Tue May 20, 2014 2:30:48 am

Hi again, I'm pleased to report that I haven't had any further problems with my latest installation of Zorin OS 6! Computer & OS boot up normally every time & the HP combo printer/scanner also works normally. I think now I can safely recommend Zorin to my friends. Thanks again, Wolfman, for your help!

Swarfendor437

Tue May 20, 2014 11:40:00 am

Hi, Glad you are sorted! :D

Have marked as [SOLVED]!

240 overdue blue jewels to Wolfman! :D