This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Deleting files/app

c980t

Tue May 06, 2014 12:39:29 am

I'm sure this has been answered before, but being a newbie I'm confused. When removing programs, they don't go to the trash can. Then I am warned I'm down to only 135MB, but I don't know how to change this. Youtube shows confusing terminal entries to delete files. There has to be an easier way & I would sure appreciate any help. Thank you

Swarfendor437

Tue May 06, 2014 9:04:22 pm

Hi, and welcome! :D Could you be a bit more specific? You don't need to use the command line to remove stuff you don't want - you can use 'Software Center/re' or 'Synaptic Package Manager' - provided that is where you installed from in the first place!

If you installed 'unsupported 3rd party software' then it is likely to need the 'purge' or 'autoremove' command which should remove all files associated with that application.

Hope this helps! :D

c980t

Mon May 12, 2014 2:21:29 pm

Hello,
I installed Zorin 8 as dual boot and accepted the suggested partitions. I have an HP laptop with two hard drives. For some strange reason Zorin installed onto the "D" drive. After installation I removed some of the installed apps using the Software Center. When I ran the updates I received a message that I only had 135mb available. The trash can was empty, so the files must still be on the drive. Now I am wondering if I should have somehow forced the install to the "C" drive where there is more available space. Being new to Linux I am a little confused. I do appreciate any help and really like the Zorin OS, especially since Microsoft does not support the Windows XT that came installed on the laptop. Thanks again.

Swarfendor437

Mon May 12, 2014 7:39:33 pm

Hi, you should always have Windows on the first partition, GNU/Linux on subsequent ones. Could you upload a screenshot of your partitions using Gparted (just search for it in the menu search bar - it should be the only thing that comes up, then take a screenshot using 'Screenshot' (Menu | Accessories | Screenshot) and upload a picture of C and D (if they are two separate drives) so we can advise further.

How to upload screenshot here:

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v385833212XzmANbj

c980t

Tue May 13, 2014 5:39:00 pm

I will upload 2 screen shots. The first is the C drive of my laptop where Windows resides

c980t

Tue May 13, 2014 5:43:20 pm

This is the screen shot of the D drive. This is where Zorin was installed automatically. I don't recall the installer giving me an option as to which drive to select. I see now, that I am very limited in terms of disk space. Thank you for your prompt reply.

c980t

Tue May 13, 2014 5:48:35 pm

I apologize for uploading 2 jpgs of the D drive. This is the correct one for the C drive, sorry.

Wolfman

Wed May 14, 2014 5:20:09 am

Hi,

you simply don't have enough space on the drive, for Linux to work with ease, root should be about 15 to 20 GB and home about the same, swap should be equal to or double your RAM.

All I can suggest is you redo all your partitions and backup your Windows data to an external drive or another internal drive.

See the partitioning guide which might help you:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Howto ... ningBasics

Swarfendor437

Wed May 14, 2014 11:55:17 am

Hi, as you have an HP Notebook, did it come with the utility to create Recovery Discs? (My HP Mini 110 Netbook required me to create 3 DVDs if ever I needed to do a factory restore - if it is physically possible, I would shrink your Windows partition to just over half, then split your Data between a new partition there, and a second Data partition at the start of 'sdb' if you don't have access to an external drive (or can't afford to buy one at present).
It also looks like you have a lot of 'Primary' Partitions - even the 'Data' partition on the second drive looks like a Primary partition - remember you can ONLY have 4 Primary Partitions - and you can bet your bottom dollar that the HP Recovery partition is a Primary partition (I know from experience! ;) ) So be careful - when making Data partitions, always make them 'Logical' and NOT Primary. ;) :D

c980t

Wed May 14, 2014 2:41:22 pm

Thanks to both for your replies. Since I don't have much space on the D drive, would it be an alternative to uninstall Zorin & re-install to the C drive? If so, how can force the installation to the C drive?

Swarfendor437

Wed May 14, 2014 7:22:19 pm

OK, First could you tell us what version of Windows you are running? ;)

Wolfman

Thu May 15, 2014 5:53:29 am

c980t wrote:Thanks to both for your replies. Since I don't have much space on the D drive, would it be an alternative to uninstall Zorin & re-install to the C drive? If so, how can force the installation to the C drive?

See the partitioning guide for a better idea!:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601&p=11550#p11550

c980t

Thu May 15, 2014 7:18:53 pm

I am running Windows XT

c980t

Thu May 15, 2014 7:26:17 pm

I found this video on YouTube, it is about removing Linux Mint & using a utility named EasyBCD. Any thoughts?

c980t

Thu May 15, 2014 7:35:33 pm

I do have 4 recovery CDs I made when I first got the laptop. I'm not sure if I stressed the point that this laptop has 2 physical hard drives. I use the 2nd one (D drive) primarily for data. This is why I don't know why Zorin installed to this drive instead of the C drive, which has a lot of available space.

Swarfendor437

Thu May 15, 2014 10:19:34 pm

Hi, I think it will be down to that 'Recovery' partition - is it possible to back that up and remove it? What you DO need to be aware of (speaking form experience of having to restore an NEC computer (aka Packard-Bell)) in the past, if the hard drive layout alters on C you would not be able to do a recovery to that layout! In my case (a work scenario) there was one drive, and one partition - C:\ - I wanted to create a Data Drive D:\ - which I did - but when there was a need to restore to factory conditions it wouldn't do it because it did not accept the 'D:\' partition!

I noticed you stated you have XT (shouldn't that be XP?). All I can say is make a note of all the numbers and physical addresses of your partitions (sectors, heads etc) should things go wrong - at the end of the day, the decision to remove that recovery partition rests with you and you alone - no-one on here can be held responsible if things go wrong! :D

Wolfman

Fri May 16, 2014 12:45:44 pm

c980t wrote:I do have 4 recovery CDs I made when I first got the laptop. I'm not sure if I stressed the point that this laptop has 2 physical hard drives. I use the 2nd one (D drive) primarily for data. This is why I don't know why Zorin installed to this drive instead of the C drive, which has a lot of available space.

Hi,

you must tell the installer where you want the partitions if you use the "Something else method". (Create your partitions first and then when asked where you want your partitions during the install process, select "Something Else":

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848&p=22956#p22956

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601&p=11550#p11550

c980t

Fri May 16, 2014 7:48:27 pm

Thank you both for your patience and expertise. You have given me a few options and I'm now have more knowledge of partitions the drive.

Linx

Fri May 16, 2014 8:15:17 pm

I have had similar issues back in the day, I found that the easiest thing for me to do was using sym links and just use the space on another drive. you can do so but it may take a little bit of research.

1. Set up the linux to mount the partitions during boot ... this can be done by editing the /etc/fstab file.
2. Set up the links ... or even move your home directory.
a. Moving the home dir is as easy as "sudo usermod -u $UID -d /location/to/new/homedir -m"
b. and creating the symlinks is also easy as pi, but it takes 2 steps. first copy the current file to the new location eg 'mv ./Downloads /mnt/sda1/' then you can create the link using 'ln -s /mnt/sda1/' of course you will need to edit the file locations to fit your needs.

you may want to copy your libs/bins and what not over as well, however, I'm not sure how involved that is going to be. It may be as simple as copying the files over and editing the $PATH variable. then if you really need to you should be able to remove the normal locations and set up a symlink to resolve other issues.

Sorry about being a little all over the place, not my day for thinking

c980t

Fri May 16, 2014 8:32:12 pm

Thanks for yet another option.

Wolfman

Sat May 17, 2014 6:49:01 am

Hi,

can we mark this as solved now?. :D

c980t

Mon May 19, 2014 1:55:19 pm

Please mark this as solved, and once again, thank you for your help and patience.