This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] unlock keyring

cliffw

Tue May 06, 2014 11:07:20 pm

I get this warning from time to time, I think when I start Google "Enter password for keyring 'Default' to unlock
What is this
Where is the password
I can minimize, close or cancel

Wolfgang02

Wed May 07, 2014 12:16:13 am

This looks like it is part of a password manager of some nature (see:http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1561).

I have also read on other forums that it can be deleted if you like (Wolfman gives the method of removal in the last post in the above thread).

Let us know how you get on.

Wolfman

Wed May 07, 2014 6:23:55 am

Hi,

to rid your system of an unwanted package, use the terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) command below:

Code:
sudo apt-get --purge remove gnome-keyring

I assume it is indeed "Gnome Keyring" you want to remove??.

If you want to remove any package, just after the word "remove"; write any package name and use the same full command!.

cliffw

Wed May 07, 2014 8:44:25 am

Not sure if I want to remove or disable, very new to linux, unsure what these warnings asking for passwords are. I read the links provided & I thought I read "login was the default password, that didn't work, so I just hit cancel & it goes away.
Now I get a message,Failure to download extra data file
flash plugin-installer
Same type of warning wanting a password - Authentication is needed to run '/usr/lib/update-notifier/package-data-downloader' as the super user, when I cancel the warning the message goes away, an the download doesn't happen
I'm using Zorin 8 32 bit
Wolfman I don't know if it's an unwanted package or not, are these warning coming from bugs not fixed yet, I didn't think gnome 3 was part of Zorin, but gnome 2 was
I don't mind adding the password, if I know it, tried login, default, config, my login password, nothing seems to work with these warnings
I noticed the link for Free Ubuntu manual, is there a manual for Zorin 8
Sorry guys I'm sure my questions are showing my new-nest to Linux

Wolfman

Wed May 07, 2014 4:49:50 pm

Hi,

it isn't a bug afaik, you can safely remove it!.

To run an update, run this terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) command and let us know if it helps:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

Restart afterwards!.

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

cliffw

Sun May 11, 2014 12:31:32 pm

Thanks Wolfman
It appears both of those commands worked, for removal of gnome-keyring & checking for updates
The first time using the terminal, it worked like a charm
I see you reference the Ubunta Manual Project as a users manual, what's available for Zorin 8 32 bit

Swarfendor437

Sun May 11, 2014 2:00:58 pm

Hi will mark your post as [SOLVED]. There is no manual as such and I don't want to start writing one for 8 as 9 will be due out in a few months (Long Term Support) - when that hits the deck I may be gone for some time, writing a manual in .pdf! ;)

60 blue jewels to Wolfman! ;)

cliffw

Sun May 11, 2014 2:42:33 pm

Am I supposed to mark solved when successful, just started with Zorin 8
Should one plan to upgrade to Zorin 9 when released or 8 is just fine for newbie

Swarfendor437

Sun May 11, 2014 7:12:10 pm

Zorin 9 will be the Long Term Support release (5 years) in line with Ubuntu 14.04 - for upgrade guidance, see Wolfman's post on the matter - will have to wait for Wolfman - I am having some issues locating it!

If you post again and the issue is [SOLVED] inform us in a post and then go back to your original posting, click on 'Edit' and add [SOLVED] before the 'Subject:' title, then click on the 'Submit' button! :D