This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Evolution & Thunderbird......Seamonkey?

Zorinator

Wed May 07, 2014 6:20:15 am

Evolution did it again yesterday - first, my Google calendar became ReadOnly and then my Addressbook became so as well. At the same time, Syncevolution stopped working.

Thunderbird is not being further developed, so what about Seamonkey? I noticed that many Linux distro's do not have this in a repository - any good reason for that?

Wolfman

Wed May 07, 2014 6:56:51 am

Hi Z,

are you using Google Chrome which should be able to handle Google accounts afaik?: :D

Zorinator

Wed May 07, 2014 7:00:31 am

Yes, I do, but it means having to be online always. This is Africa.....

Wolfman

Wed May 07, 2014 7:10:45 am

Zorinator

Wed May 07, 2014 6:21:57 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi Z,

this might help:

https://sites.google.com/a/stern.nyu.ed ... figuration

(Your link with screenshots is excellent)

Thanks a million................that's how I always have set up my Thunderbird but I am one of the unlucky users who have IMAP issues. It could be on the side of my ISP, as it keeps polling for new messages. The Gmail IMAP works perfectly.

I started out trying to steer clear of Google, established my own domain, created user accounts and then, with the sync issues in Apple since iOS7 and recent iTunes, as well as Mavericks, I found that my Apple accounts were getting messed up by iCloud - many users complained - and I then saw that Apple synced best via Google! I can only :D :D about this as my being clever and smart brought me full circle back to Google. :roll: So what do we do? We adapt or die, we graduallu become geeks, we even get Zorinated :lol: along the way we finally get the job done! Thanks the a little help from our friends, of course 8-)

Swarfendor437

Wed May 07, 2014 6:35:39 pm

I don't use it (because I don't have an IMAP account) give Geary Mail a go - and no I don't know about it's syncing capabilities/offline usage! ;)

Zorinator

Wed May 07, 2014 7:06:06 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:I don't use it (because I don't have an IMAP account) give Geary Mail a go - and no I don't know about it's syncing capabilities/offline usage! ;)

Geary is lightweight and runs sweetly, I just installed and tested it.

A question: I backup my entire /home daily onto a different partition and weekly to an external drive. When I get Zorin 8.1 downloaded, I can just install it and copy the /home backup into the new installation. When I set up Thunderbird again, obviously my mail accounts and offline emails should be there? That means that I should be able to use Thunderbird with a POP mail setup and have no further hassles? And let me guess that it will be the same with Geary, then?

Swarfendor437

Wed May 07, 2014 7:26:38 pm

There was a post not long ago - you have to backup your profiles that are stored in '.thunderbird' the hidden folder in /home - Ctrl+ H to see hidden folders. For me thunderbird is a bit of a pain as it can race ahead too quickly at install time - you have to be very quick to stop the automatic install and do a manual setup which means you can then setup pop3 mail accounts which is what I have. Geary only caters for IMAP (I complained about this in the early releases of Pear - I notice that Geary is present in Zorin 8 LIte!)

Zorinator

Wed May 07, 2014 7:31:20 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:There was a post not long ago - you have to backup your profiles that are stored in '.thunderbird' the hidden folder in /home - Ctrl+ H to see hidden folders. For me thunderbird is a bit of a pain as it can race ahead too quickly at install time - you have to be very quick to stop the automatic install and do a manual setup which means you can then setup pop3 mail accounts which is what I have. Geary only caters for IMAP (I complained about this in the early releases of Pear - I notice that Geary is present in Zorin 8 LIte!)

.thunderbird gets backed up automatically. There is a very nice add-in for Thunderbird that allows for manual account setup. :)

Swarfendor437

Wed May 07, 2014 7:36:29 pm

Hi, I suppose there is but it would be nice to have the 'manual' option by default, which is what it used to be in earlier versions. Oh and with regards to SeaMonkey, AFAICR in the early days it was a very poor Mozilla Firefox clone Web Browser only - I now see it is a suite - I was never fond of the Browser as it appeared to be very cumbersome - basically just didn't feel right.
Another mail client to consider is Sylpheed (Claws Mail).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylpheed