This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Making changes to Date & Time Settings

tommykry

Thu May 08, 2014 6:43:26 am

Hi, first thank you for the AWESOME OS 8 core, i will be buying the ultimate addition very soon to support you guys and this excellent Windows os replacement.
I have Os 8 core installed on a Dell inspiron 1525 laptop and everything is working great so far,
My question is, when i first installed it i remember being able to click on the clock down on the dock to bring up the date & time settings, then click on that and open up settings to change things like am pm to 24hr or add day and month to show on the dock, now when i click on the date & time settings it just opens the system settings window and no where to make these changes? i could have sworn there was a clock or date & time icon when i first installed?

Thanks and great work guys, i will be supporting. :D
Thomas

Wolfman

Thu May 08, 2014 7:01:49 am

Hi Thomas,

normally a right click on the clock in the bottom right panel will show "Date & time settings" and you can change it!, but sadly it seems to have a bug?.
Menu_001.jpg
Menu_001.jpg (63.68 KiB)

It should also be in System Settings but is not available?.

tommykry

Thu May 08, 2014 7:06:54 am

Wow thanks for the quick reply!
Yes when i right click on it nothing happens if i do it a few times it just opens the system settings window, and correct it is not available in the system settings anywhere.
Thanks

Wolfman

Thu May 08, 2014 7:07:52 am

tommykry

Thu May 08, 2014 7:10:13 am

I have no icon in the system settings window for date & time or clock.
Thanks
Thomas

Wolfman

Thu May 08, 2014 7:14:22 am

You are supposed to use the terminal per this link!.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/342854/w ... stem-clock

which wil take you here:

http://codeghar.wordpress.com/2007/12/0 ... mand-line/

tommykry

Thu May 08, 2014 7:15:51 am

Thanks wolfman
Is there anyway to do this with an icon with out all the terminal stuff? I'm trying to set this laptop up for my sister who is used to using win 7 and she keeps getting viruses, so im trying to show her that Zorin os its as easy as using windows, i dont want to try and show her the teminal typing stuff or she'll give up before she starts.
Thanks again.
Thomas

tommykry

Thu May 08, 2014 7:16:35 am

Oh ok i'll try that thanks!
Thomas

Wolfman

Thu May 08, 2014 7:18:38 am

Zorin 9 will be out soon and hopefully the bug will have gone, I will have to look in Ubuntu 14.04 which Zorin 9 will be based on and see if the bug is there too!.

Not being able to change the clock format is not really a show stopper though is it?. :D

tommykry

Thu May 08, 2014 7:26:53 am

Thanks
Thomas

Wolfman

Thu May 08, 2014 7:37:49 am

Clock settings are there in Ubuntu 14.04!. (future Zorin OS 9):
Workspace 1_001.jpg

Swarfendor437

Thu May 08, 2014 6:20:26 pm

Have you tried installing this in Synaptic? It is what I use:

41.jpg

Swarfendor437

Thu May 08, 2014 6:31:05 pm

OK, sorry, got wrong end of stick but I have got the solution NOW! :D

You can do this two ways: Open a terminal or use synaptic package manager.

1. Terminal:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome-time-admin

47.jpg

2. from Synaptic - enter 'gnome-time-admin' in the search bar:

43.png

And I hadn't noticed this issue before! :D

tommykry

Thu May 08, 2014 8:45:06 pm

Thanks guys awesome! Great to see the "clock" icon back in Ubuntu 14.0.4 For Zorin 9, great stuff, i'll try some of these suggestions.
Just so you know i'm not opposed to using the terminal, these questions are for setting up a laptop for my sister and possibly other people that use Win 7 and Xp to get them onto Zorin.
The more i can make it easy with icons for changing settings etc... with out have to type terminal commands the easier it will be to get them to try Zorin and ditch Windows.
Your responses and help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Thomas

Swarfendor437

Thu May 08, 2014 9:23:16 pm

Hi, please let us know if your date issue is resolved now - try to think of Synaptic as a 'basic' software centre - you might be better off using that than the terminal for your sister! Have fun! :D

tommykry

Fri May 09, 2014 12:09:45 am

Thanks Swarfendor437 i installed gnome-time-admin like you suggested from Synaptic and it installed, now where do i go to make the setting changes?
When i click on the clock on the dock and choose date & time settings it still just opens the system settings window?
There is still no clock icon in system settings.
Thanks
Thomas

tommykry

Fri May 09, 2014 12:36:50 am

Also what i mean about settings is the way it appears on the dock, e.g. having the day and month then the time, So basically settings of how it appears on the dock, i could swear when i first installed OS 8 you could click on date & time settings and you could select how you wanted it to look on the doc, this is what i am referring to. I think wolf mentioned this is fixed in Ubuntu 14.0.4 so OS9 should work as expected.
thanks
Thomas

Wolfman

Fri May 09, 2014 4:44:53 am

Hi Thomas,

it is a bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1228360

I cannot help you with the things Swarf helped you with as I don't have any of that installed, if you want a nice desktop clock like the one bottom right in this pic:
Workspace 1_004.jpg

Go here:

http://www.webupd8.org/2013/07/conky-ma ... 4-new.html

The one I am using is the "Gotham Theme".

tommykry

Fri May 09, 2014 10:00:50 am

That is slick wolfman really nice i may have to try that, your setup looks awesome and clean.
Swarfendor437 what clock and time are you using on your dock?
Also how much work would it be to get a setup looking exactly like yours here?
http://gnome-look.org/content/preview.p ... Zorin+Dark
Both of you guys desktops look really nice and modern, is it a lot of work to set it up like that?

Thanks for the help guys this OS is really nice, damn, i might have to switch to it as well.
Thomas

Swarfendor437

Fri May 09, 2014 11:44:43 am

First off, open synaptic package manager - just enter synaptic in the search bar of the menu and that will be the only return you get - you will be asked for your login password to launch it, and look for the applet I posted here:

download/file.php?id=2773&t=1

Now you have 'gnome-time-admin' installed, either:

1. open a terminal and enter:

Code:
gksudo nautilus

(you will be asked for your password - you cannot have more than one root privelege running so you would need to exit 'synaptic' for this bit.)

2. open another terminal window and enter 'gnome-time-admin' and you should get the 'Date and Time settings' as shown here:

download/file.php?id=2774&mode=view

Alternatively:
3. If you managed to get that clock installed I pointed to earlier, just right click the clock and select 'adjust date and time' - you will be asked for your login password before it launches! :D

All I did with my AWN panel was to change the panel from 'Lucido' to 'None' to get the transparent look. (Right-click the AWN panel where there are no icons and select 'Dock Preferences' - most tweaks on that first page for the look - applets from the available applets but look in synaptic for the others referenced to in part here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7324#p34943