This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(CLOSED) firefox not closing

Rother49

Thu May 08, 2014 8:32:19 am

Hi
since last up date i am having trouble with firefox not closing down properley, so when i come to open it, it is still running in background.
Has anyone same problem.
I have to go to system monitor to kill it of or reboot
Rother

Wolfman

Thu May 08, 2014 9:23:21 am

Hi,

open Synaptic and mark Firefox for reinstallation and see if that helps!.

Rother49

Thu May 08, 2014 2:35:26 pm

Hi Wolfman
no change after trying re-install.
i also get this happening when i press on a link not everytime though
the webpage code i presume.

(function(n){function v(){n("#InsertMenu").off("click",v),f=t.setTimeout($CC(t.AttachmentUpload$onUploadControlError,[null,{errorMessage:"load timeout"}]),s.UploadControl.LoadTimeout)}function w(n){return n.indexOf("#")===0?n.substring(1,n.length):(n=n.match(/^rgb\((\d+),\s*(\d+),\s*(\d+)\)$/),("0"+parseInt(n[1],10).toString(16)).slice(-2)+("0"+parseInt(n[2],10).toString(16)).slice(-2)+("0"+parseInt(n[3],10).toString(16)).slice(-2))}function nt(){var t=n("#"+e),i=t.addClass("t_seli").css("background-color");return t.removeClass("t_seli"),w(i)}function tt(){return w(n(".t_body .t_sbgc").css("background-color"))}function b(){var t=_ge(o),n;t&&(t.style.display="none"),n=_ge(e),n&&(n.style.display="block",n.style.position="relative"),$BSI.reportEvent("Compose.Messaging.Mail.Attachment",{SLcontrol:"0"})}var t=window,k=t.wLive,d=k.Controls.Notifications,o="uploadControlContainer",e="AttachFiles",y=ol.config.compose.strings,s=ol.config.compose,p=ol.config.pageManager.manifests.Compose.initContext,g=s.UploadControl.isRtl?"right":"left",it=s.UploadControl.isRtl?"left":"right",h,i=null,f=null,c,r,l,a=!1,u;t.AttachmentUpload=function(n,t,i,u){h=i,r=u,r.onItemRemovedExternal=null,this._resizeCallback=n,c=t,h.enabled?this.createUploadControl():b()},u=t.AttachmentUpload.prototype={elt:null,_enabled:!1},u.dispose=function(){var u,r;i=null,f&&(t.clearTimeout(f),f=null),u=n(_ge(o)),u.remove(),r=n(_ge(e)),r.css("display",""),r.css("position",""),n("#InsertMenu").off("click",v)},u.enable=function(){this._enabled||(this._enabled=!0,n(this).trigger("onuienabled",{}))},u.disable=function(){this._enabled&&(this._enabled=!1)},t.AttachmentUpload$refreshPageSizing=function(){ComposePage&&ComposePage.attachmentList&&ComposePage.attachmentList._resizeCallback&&setTimeout(ComposePage.attachmentList._resizeCallback,250)},u.createUploadControl=function(){var t=_ge(o),u=_ge(e),f,r;t||(f=u.parentElement,t=_ce("div"),t.id=o,t.tabIndex="1",f.appendChild(t)),r=s.UploadControl,a=!0,$CSIPerf!==null&&($CSIPerf.setPerformanceId("SilverlightUploader"),$BSI!==null&&$BSI.informNav(),$CSIPerf.addCsd("size",r.xapSize)),l||(l=t.offsetWidth),u.style.position="absolute",t.style.position="relative",t.style.width="100%",i=null,t.innerHTML='<object id="uploadControl" data="data:application/x-silverlight," type="application/x-silverlight-2" width="10" height="10"><param name="source" value="'+r.xapFileUrl+'"/><param name="onLoad" value="AttachmentUpload$onUploadControlLoaded"/><param name="onError" value="AttachmentUpload$onUploadControlError" /><param name="background" value="Transparent"/><param name="windowless" value="true"/><param name="enableHtmlAccess" value="true"/><param name="allowHtmlPopupWindow" value="true"/><param name="splashscreensource" value="/mail/SplashScreen.xaml"/><param name="initParams" value="LabelText='+u.innerText+",SelectionBackgroundColor="+nt()+",HoverBackgroundColor="+tt()+",SatchmoPostUrl="+r.satchmoPostUrl+",IsRtl="+r.isRtl+",Market="+r.market+",MaxUploadBytes="+p.maxUploadBytes+",MaxUploadFileCount="+p.maxUploadFileCount+",FileByteThreshhold="+r.fileByteThreshhold+",TotalByteThreshhold="+r.totalByteThreshhold+'"/><\/object>';n("#InsertMenu").on("click",v)},t.AttachmentUpload$onUploadControlLoaded=function(){var n,o,u;if(f&&(t.clearTimeout(f),f=null),n=_ge("uploadControl"),n){r.onItemRemovedExternal=t.AttachmentUpload$onItemRemoved,i=n.Content.HotmailUploaderController;try{o=i.IsUploading}catch(s){i=null,t.AttachmentUpload$onUploadControlError(null,{errorMessage:"silverlight control test error"});return}n.style[g]="0",n.style.width=l+"px",u=_ge(e),u.style.display="none",$BSI&&$BSI.informPVHead&&$BSI.informLoaded&&a&&($BSI.informPVHead(),$BSI.informLoaded()),a=!1,$BSI.reportEvent("Compose.Messaging.Mail.Attachment",{SLcontrol:"1"})}},t.AttachmentUpload$onUploadControlError=function(n,r){i||(h.enabled=!1,b(),c&&c());try{t.$WebWatson.submit("Silverlight upload control error: "+r.errorMessage,r.xamlFile||null,r.lineNumber||null,String.format("type: {0} method: {1}",r.errorType+"",r.methodName+""),r.errorCode||null,null,null,!0)}catch(u){t.$WebWatson.submit("Silverlight upload control error: unknown error",null,null,null,null,null,null,!0)}},t.AttachmentUpload$getFile=function(n){var t={externalUploaderId:n.UniqueId,status:n.Status,size:n.FileLength,name:n.Name,errorCode:n.LastErrorCode,progress:n.Progress},i,r;return n.FileUploadInformation!==null&&(i=n.FileUploadInformation,r={uploadSize:null,fileName:t.name,fileId:i.Id,fileSize:t.size,showMessage:!!i.Caption,errorDescription:i.Caption},t.uploadResults=r),t},t.AttachmentUpload$onAddFileDialogClosed=function(n){$BSI.reportEvent("Cmp.AttachP",{NumFiles:n,IsInline:0}),window.focus(),$menu.closeCurrent()},t.AttachmentUpload$onItemAdded=function(n){r.onItemAddedExternal(t.AttachmentUpload$getFile(n))},t.AttachmentUpload$onItemStatusChanged=function(n){r.onItemStatusChangedExternal(t.AttachmentUpload$getFile(n))},t.AttachmentUpload$onItemProgressChanged=function(n){r.onItemProgressChangedExternal(t.AttachmentUpload$getFile(n))},t.AttachmentUpload$onItemRemoved=function(n){var t=n.externalUploaderId();t&&i.RemoveFile(t)},u.confirmOkToSend=function(){var t=n.Deferred();return this._isUploading()?d.createFlyout({title:"",content:y.attach.attachCurrentlyUploading,anchor:n("#SendMessage")[0],buttons:{action:y.attach.attachCurrentlyUploadingAction}}).show().then(function(n){n.buttonClicked?t.resolve():t.reject()},t.reject):t.resolve(),t.promise()},u.setEnabled=function(n){i&&(i.IsEnabled=n)},u._isUploading=function(){var n=!1;return i?n=i.IsUploading:r&&(n=r.isUploading()),n},AttachmentUpload.createClass("AttachmentUpload")})(window._ol_jQuery||jQuery),ComposeServices.beginDeleteAttachment=function(n,t,i){HM.LFPP=function(){HM.DeleteUploadedAttachment_ec(n,t,i)},HM.LFPP()},$Do.register("ComposePage.Bucket2.Loaded")

Wolfman

Thu May 08, 2014 6:12:08 pm

Hi,

did you do a USB install and did you format the drive to FAT32 completely wiping everything off of it?.

Swarfendor437

Thu May 08, 2014 7:17:05 pm

Firefox 28 final is no longer available but the Beta one for LInux is from here:

http://download-installer.cdn.mozilla.n ... b8.tar.bz2

Rother49

Thu May 08, 2014 7:35:44 pm

Wolfman
i installed Zorin from a dvd as per your instuctions using a drive that had only data on it, format is NTFS, those data files are on one half Zorin and LXLE the other.

Rother

Swarfendor437

Thu May 08, 2014 8:39:42 pm

Could you take a snapshot of your partitions for us using GParted Partition Editor, and Screenshot or Shutter to take a snapshot for us to view? :D

Wolfman

Fri May 09, 2014 4:53:17 am

Rother49 wrote:Wolfman
i installed Zorin from a dvd as per your instuctions using a drive that had only data on it, format is NTFS, those data files are on one half Zorin and LXLE the other.

Rother

Hi Rother,

the recommended file format is Ext4, I don't know what happens when you use NTFS but Linux has been using Ext4 for a while now:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Linux ... sExplained

This might be the reason why things are a little screwed on your system at the mo?.

You did burn the disk at the slowest possible speed didn't you?. (I had to ask sorry!):

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

See also:

http://superuser.com/questions/274172/w ... nux-ubuntu

Rother49

Fri May 09, 2014 5:29:07 am

Wolfman i should have said the windows data is ntfs but zorin is ext4 as your guide, i am sure it is to do with the firefox or the kernal upgrade i did last week.
I think my best bet is to start again when Zorin 9 comes out.
Rother

Wolfman

Fri May 09, 2014 5:34:00 am

Hi,

remove it completely including the hidden .mozilla file in your home folder (Ctrl + h) and go to the link below and download a deb version (29), either 32 or 64 bit!.

Install with Gdebi.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ubuntuz ... lla-build/

Rother49

Fri May 09, 2014 5:39:02 am

Swarfendor437
for some reason gparted doesnot work it opens but doesnotshow the drive structure, i will have to boot to a livedvd to get it to work.
Rother

Rother49

Fri May 09, 2014 5:44:31 am

Hi
could it be any of these addons that are causing it
Rother

Wolfman

Fri May 09, 2014 5:46:13 am

Rother49 wrote:Hi
could it be any of these addons that are causing it
Rother

That is quite likely, disable them all, you seem to have a full system blackout!. Or do as I said before and completely remove it!. :D

Rother49

Fri May 09, 2014 6:14:06 am

Swarfendor437
managed with Disk
Rother

Wolfman

Fri May 09, 2014 8:04:43 am

Hi Rother,

you only need one swap partition!. :D

Place it at the beginning of the extended drive as you have it now, you can delete the 2nd one!. :D

Rother49

Fri May 09, 2014 9:04:48 am

Hi thanks for that thought they both had to have one, presumably the lxle using the one i delete will find the otherone.
Also this might be coincidence i have not had the problem today yet, when i shut firefox then cannot opening it, the only thing i have done is install another browser Slimboat, as i doniot like the other offerings, but i cannot see how that would make a difference.
Rother

Wolfman

Fri May 09, 2014 9:24:55 am

Hi,

try opening Firefox from the main menu!. :D

Rother49

Fri May 09, 2014 10:29:29 am

Wolfman
i deleted that swap file, now i have lost the startup menu.
screen says
error: file not found
grub rescue

Rother

Wolfman

Fri May 09, 2014 11:33:47 am

Hi,

boot the live CD and open a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) and run this command:

Code:
sudo update-grub

Then restart and you should have your boot menu back!. :D

Rother49

Fri May 09, 2014 11:35:58 am

Hi Wolfman
i have managed to get the boot menu back, using a boot repair dvd, can boot into zorin ok.
When i try an boot lxle it gets to the spinning cursor and no further, i tried booting into recovery mode ok, selected boot repair but did not get any further it was taking ages so i switched it off.
any ideas
please rothr

Wolfman

Fri May 09, 2014 11:42:30 am

Run DPKG in the LXLE recovery menu, activate network (network cable required) then dpkg, if DPKG doesn't work, drop to root and run the following command:

Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a

Restart with Ctrl + Alt + Del. :D

Rother49

Fri May 09, 2014 11:51:23 am

Wolfman
hi just trying that in reovery ran DPKG then message comes up with continuing will mount your system etc.
the cursur is stuck at fsck from util-linux 2.20.1 and nothing else.
I can boot into lxle with the live disk
rother

Rother49

Fri May 09, 2014 11:56:26 am

hi just tried in root i get dpkg: error: unable to acces dpkg status area: read-only file system

Wolfman

Fri May 09, 2014 11:58:30 am

If FSCK is running, let it run!. It may take a while, if your drive is damaged in any way, FSCK will try and repair it if it is running in full mode!.

You can try running the following in root recovery mode:

Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a

without the network and then reboot!.

Rother49

Fri May 09, 2014 12:26:44 pm

fsck still running says sda8 clean, going to take forever.
do you still want me ro run
sudo dpkg --configure -a
when it has finished
Rother

Wolfman

Fri May 09, 2014 1:42:12 pm

That shouldn't be necessary but do it anyway!.

Rother49

Fri May 09, 2014 2:13:49 pm

Wolfman
fsck still running not any change than sda8 clean.
how long do you think it will take it is a 500 gb drive half ntfs and half ext4
Rother

Wolfman

Fri May 09, 2014 2:17:49 pm

I don't know, it depends if it finds errors and has to fix them, you shouldn't wander to far from the moniitor as it may need a yes or no from you now and again!. It is better to leave it running though!. Have a coffee and watch some TV in the meantime :D

Rother49

Fri May 09, 2014 2:29:23 pm

Ok just watching live cycling, 4 days of dunkirke on german eurosport, cannot speak much german but it is free
Rother

Rother49

Fri May 09, 2014 4:06:23 pm

Wolfman
this is still running, after it has cleared the next partition, can I shut it down and do the other partitions separate.
if so is there a safe way to stop it, I just held the on/off button in last time.
Rother

Wolfman

Fri May 09, 2014 7:59:29 pm

Hi,

I assume it is finished now?. We need a sitrep please!. :D

Swarfendor437

Fri May 09, 2014 8:52:34 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

Hi Wolfman, what is a 'sitrep'? :?

Rother49

Fri May 09, 2014 9:23:27 pm

Hi no it was still running, but I am not sure if it was stuck as it gives no indication what it is doing.
so I gave it the boot off, will have a check tomorrow will be awaiting your instructions.
Rother

Wolfman

Sat May 10, 2014 4:32:52 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:
Wolfman wrote:Hi,

Hi Wolfman, what is a 'sitrep'? :?

@Swarf: sitrep = "Situation Report" !!!. :D

@Rother,

I was kinda hoping you could tell me if the FSCK thingy found anything that might help us!, is the PC now booting okay etc?.

Wolfman

Sat May 10, 2014 5:04:40 am

Rother,

more info on running FSCK:

if you can boot into the recovery mode (2nd option in menu then 2nd option again) and select "root", then enter the following command:

Code:
fsck -y /dev/sda

The "y" denotes "yes to all changes/fixes" which saves you having to sit there and watch things!.

(sda is assumming you want to check the whole HDD, change the ending to sda1 and so on to check all partitions one after the other)

If the drive is mounted, unmount with:

Code:
umount /dev/sda

If you run FSCK from a live CD in a terminal:

Code:
sudo su

Code:
fsck /dev/sda

Let us know if this helps.

Rother49

Sat May 10, 2014 5:19:58 am

Hi Wolfman where are you based, are you up early or ?
thanks for the instructions, i will have a go later, or i could be heading for the divorce courts.
cheers
Rother

Rother49

Sat May 10, 2014 5:30:57 am

Wolfman
as it can boot into Zorin which is using SDA 6 and 7 do i not have to run FSCK on them
Rother

Wolfman

Sat May 10, 2014 5:32:01 am

I am in the "Fatherland"!. :D (Germany) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I don't sleep a great deal as I am part vampire!. :D

Wolfman

Sat May 10, 2014 5:33:09 am

Rother49 wrote:Wolfman
as it can boot into Zorin which is using SDA 5 and6 and the swap do i not have to run FSCK on them
Rother

No,

just select the partitions you want to scan, that is why I added the extra info about runnning seperate checks of the partitions!. :D

Rother49

Sat May 10, 2014 5:35:08 am

I am in the "Fatherland"!

where abouts, we spend our holiday time there, it a great country, we even thought about buying a property there, but my wife got the dreaded cancer.
Rother

Wolfman

Sat May 10, 2014 5:45:17 am

In Garmisch-Partenkirchen:
800px-Garmisch-Partenkirchen.JPG

Sorry to hear about your wife, I hope she gets better :D :D :D :D , we have it in my family too but not widespread thanks be!. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Rother49

Sat May 10, 2014 6:07:57 am

Wolfman
that looks nice, wish i was there it is raining hard hear.
Back to the plot
Just ran FSCK on sda5 the swap file.
fsck: fsck.swap: not found
fsck: error 2 while executing fsck.swap for /dev/sda5

Rother

Wolfman

Sat May 10, 2014 7:10:23 am

If swap is an NTFS partition, FSCK cannot read it, move on to the next one for now and when you get the chance, reformat swap using Gparted and let it use the default format!.

These are the packages required for FSCK to be able to read an NTFS partition format:

ntfs-3g
ntfs-config
ntfsprogs
testdisk

Rother49

Sat May 10, 2014 7:30:53 am

Hi Wolfman
wife is on the mend.
The swap file is the one used by zorin i set it up as a linux swap file.
Do i not just need to link this swap file to lxle.
If i format it will it not mess zorin up

Rother

Wolfman

Sat May 10, 2014 8:30:54 am

Hi,

swap should be automatically picked up by LXLE, you have 2 choices, extend your Zorin home using the free space or format it to FAT32 for backup!.

I assume that the 3rd partition within the extended partition is your Zorin home?. The 4th partition is currently unallocated!.

Rother49

Sat May 10, 2014 11:34:00 am

Hi Wolfman back from the shopping.
sda6 is zorin
sda7 is zorin
the unaalocated was the lxle swap file that was deleted
sda8 is lxle
sda9 is lxle
Rother

Rother49

Sat May 10, 2014 12:36:24 pm

Wolfman
i extended the zorin home to take in the small unallocated.
I installed these
ntfs-3g
ntfs-config
ntfsprogs
testdisk

and run terminal from live dvd, but still get the error 2 unable to find swap.

also if i want to make the other unallocted as backup what tyope of partition do i use.
sorry if this abit basic but i am still on the learning curve

Rother

Wolfman

Sat May 10, 2014 12:53:27 pm

Hi,

if swap is mounted, it most likely cannot find it because of that reason, I wouldn't worry about swap as it rarely gets used anyway.

If you do want to run FSCK on it, you must unmount it first before running the run fsck command!.

Code:
sudo swapoff -a

Or use Gparted and right click the swap partition and switch it off there!.

Rother49

Sat May 10, 2014 1:02:56 pm

Wolfman
OK what else can i do to get lxle to start i have just tried again and still get the start screen with the spinning icon.
Rother

Wolfman

Sat May 10, 2014 1:18:36 pm

Re-install it and keep your home data intact by following this guide. DON'T SELECT TO FORMAT YOUR LXLE HOME, JUST YOUR LXLE ROOT!:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848&p=35215#p35215

Rother49

Sat May 10, 2014 2:28:39 pm

Thanks Wolfman
i will wait for Zorin 9 and see how that performs.
is it out soon
Rother

Wolfman

Sat May 10, 2014 5:10:07 pm

Hi Rother,

I don't know when it is coming out but it shouldn't be too long I would think!. :D

Can we close this thread now?.

Rother49

Sat May 10, 2014 6:56:10 pm

Hi yes thats fine to close
Rother

Wolfman

Sat May 10, 2014 8:03:58 pm

Okay, will mark as closed.

Start a new thread if you have any further questions!. :D