This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Sharing with VB: W7x64 host/Zorin Guest

TheJoshMan2000

Thu May 08, 2014 11:34:07 am

I was trying to cram as much information on the subject as possible to be clear.

my host is Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. I've installed Virtualbox 4.3.10 and have installed Zorin Lite 8 as a VirtualBox (or guest).

I want to share folders between the host/guest. Is this possible with Zorin Linux Lite? I've been Googling the heck out of this question with not much luck on this. I seem to get either one bad command or another. If you know how to do this, please explain. Thank you.

madvinegar

Thu May 08, 2014 11:51:40 am

Have you set a shared folder from the settings of your guest OS?

Open Virtual Box, on the left side you will see the Zorin Lite 8 os. Right click it and select "settings" from the list.
Go to "shared folders" from the list on the left. The press the little icon which shows a file with a "plus" sign on it.
Browse and select the file you want to share with the guest OS.

Then boot the guest OS, i.e. Zorin Lite, open the file manager (nautilus or pcmanfm), and then from the list on the left go to "network".
Your shared folder should be there (or inside another folder etc. Look for it).

SplatOz

Thu May 08, 2014 2:54:16 pm

Don't you have also have to mount the shared folder? For example:

sudo mount -t vboxsf my_shared /mnt/shared

Swarfendor437

Thu May 08, 2014 6:43:04 pm

Does this help?:

10.jpg

TheJoshMan2000

Fri May 09, 2014 1:41:43 am

madvinegar wrote:Have you set a shared folder from the settings of your guest OS?

Open Virtual Box, on the left side you will see the Zorin Lite 8 os. Right click it and select "settings" from the list.
Go to "shared folders" from the list on the left. The press the little icon which shows a file with a "plus" sign on it.
Browse and select the file you want to share with the guest OS.

Then boot the guest OS, i.e. Zorin Lite, open the file manager (nautilus or pcmanfm), and then from the list on the left go to "network".
Your shared folder should be there (or inside another folder etc. Look for it).

Yes I've shared the folder. I installed VBoxLinuxAdditions as well. In the File Manager, the only section I see is Places. No Network. The File Manager I'm using is simply called File Manager, which I can access from the task bar or the Applications folder from the start menu.

And I'm still stuck.

Swarfendor437 wrote:Does this help?:

10.jpg

As for the screen shot in the next reply, that doesn't help. It looks like they're using a Zorin OS host and a Zorin guest, if I'm not mistaken.

TheJoshMan2000

Fri May 09, 2014 3:41:42 am

SplatOz wrote:Don't you have also have to mount the shared folder? For example:

sudo mount -t vboxsf my_shared /mnt/shared

Tried that, I get this:
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on shared, missing code page or helper program

Swarfendor437

Fri May 09, 2014 11:47:22 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Does this help?:

10.jpg

As for the screen shot in the next reply, that doesn't help. It looks like they're using a Zorin OS host and a Zorin guest, if I'm not mistaken.[/quote]

Sorry, my bad, from my desktop and correctly spotted by yourself - will need to look again in 7 but I only have 32-bit not 64-bit - wonder if that is the issue?

SplatOz

Fri May 09, 2014 2:04:43 pm

TheJoshMan2000 wrote:Tried that, I get this:
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on shared, missing code page or helper program

Take a look at this link. Might be the solution:
https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=60921

Wolfman

Fri May 09, 2014 2:13:09 pm

TheJoshMan2000

Sat May 10, 2014 1:37:38 am

I should ask this. First of all, I'm a newbie to Linux. I took a class in it about 10 years ago but haven't done much with it since.

I'm logged into root. Essentially what I'm trying to do is, copy over some files from my host to install them using wine. The problem is, copying over the files, which is why I'm trying to create the share folder.

Should I be logged in as root or is that part of the problem?

TheJoshMan2000

Sat May 10, 2014 3:41:45 am

ok finally I got it. Thanks for the link.

I'm not sure which instructions did it, but this is what I ended up doing:

Code:
sudo ln -s /opt/VBoxGuestAdditions-4.3.10/lib/VBoxGuestAdditions \
/usr/lib/VBoxGuestAdditions
sudo ln -f -s /opt/VBoxGuestAdditions-4.3.10/lib/VBoxGuestAdditions/mount.vboxsf /sbin/mount.vboxsf
sudo mount -t vboxsf -o uid=1000,gid=1000 <shared_folder_name> <shared_folder_mount_path_in_guest>