This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Newbie problem with LCD monitor

ofg

Thu May 08, 2014 1:48:08 pm

I have been digging thru the forums, but I thought I would post while I continue to look.

Background - Worked with pc's on-and-off from the beginning, started out by buying a Sinclair, then progressed (?) by paying WAY too much for my C64 and 1541. Day job is industrial controls.

Moving away from XP on my spare system.

Installed Zorin 8 free on a Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop with a dead screen, dead optical drive and using an Acer 19" LCD monitor. Using half the 320 GB hard drive.
Install from USB went totally painless, however after the last reboot I get full distortion on the LCD.
Cycled power on the screen and got screen error message 'UNRECOGNIZED INPUT'.

Pulled a tube out of the basement and it looks fine.

Checked the forums and found the utility to check vid specs on the laptop.
Results using
lspci -nn | grep VGA

are
Mobility Radeon Express 200

I have not found this exact vid spec mentioned - am I out of luck by going with a laptop? Am I missing something simple?

I will continue to dig, thanks in advance for any suggestions.

OFG - OldFatGuy

Wolfman

Fri May 09, 2014 6:04:11 am

Hi OFG,

on the monitor, look for the reset button whilst the PC is off, once reset, switch on the PC and see if it fixes the problem!. The reset function is either on the monitor itself or in the onscreen menu. :D

ofg

Fri May 09, 2014 12:26:12 pm

Wolfman - thanks for the reply, will try it this weekend.
Sorry for posting in the wrong area, will watch it next time.
OFG

ofg

Fri May 09, 2014 10:10:50 pm

Quite obviously, Wolfman is the wizard of all foolish newbie questions.

Worked first time.

Next is to research drivers for my Brother J430W.

Thanks Wolfman from the OldFatGuy

Wolfman

Sat May 10, 2014 4:34:35 am

Glad it helped OFG. :D

Is that radio used for contact to your "Mothership"?. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ofg

Sat May 10, 2014 9:15:02 pm

Actually, Wolfman, it is a ham / amateur radio - Yaesu FT-530 dual band transceiver. I got my operators license around 1990 and this radio shortly thereafter. It still works, but like most electronics, the new knock-offs are lower cost by a decimal point ($70USD now VS the $700USD list price back then). I would like to believe that the knock-off will not be as functional 20 years later.
The Zippo in the picture has my father's name engraved on it - he purchase it from a co-worker at Avco Ordinance Division during WWII. I don't smoke, but when I found it I had to get it working and keep it around.
Thanks again for the help - OFG