This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Internet stopped working for no obvious reason.

kfowler57

Sat May 10, 2014 2:22:42 am

I'm a Linux newby. When XP stopped support I dual-loaded Zorin 6 Lite onto my two XP computers. They both worked beautifully and I switched back and forth, using Zorin for internet and back to Windows when I needed to retrieve an old file. This computer still works but sometime today computer #2's internet connection stopped working. Neither Zorin nor Windows will connect. The computer is hard wired and when I reboot it says I have a connection but when I open a browser, I lose the connection and get a message saying I have no internet. Before I waste anyone's time, I wondered if it could be a hardware problem since neither Windows or Linux will connect. It is an old computer that been recently refurbished and was still very fast but I don't know about the modem. I installed a wireless stick and the same story. It said I had a strong connection until I tried to open a browser, Chrome or Firefox. Please guide me on commands to enter and possibly something I can download onto a flash drive. It just seemed odd that I suddenly lost connections to both Windows and Linux. I'd downloaded an update a few days ago but had been on the internet several times since then including this morning. When I got home this evening - nothing. I did check the cable and the modem is working because I'm connecting just fine on computer #1.

Wolfman

Sat May 10, 2014 5:13:39 am

Hi,

sounds like a router problem if both the network cable and WIFi stick don't work, have you tried simply unplugging your router for 30 secs and plugging it back in?.

Can you connect to neighbouring networks with the WiFi stick?.

kfowler57

Sat May 10, 2014 11:54:56 am

Well I feel like an idiot. I didn't consider rebooting the router because all the other devices in the house could connect but that did it. It's connecting again. Thanks so much.

kfowler57

Sat May 10, 2014 11:56:06 am

Is there a way for me to mark this thread as answered?

Wolfman

Sat May 10, 2014 12:48:19 pm

Edit the subject line in the first post.

I have marked as solved!. :D