This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(CLOSED) Dual Monitor problems

Zak

Sat May 10, 2014 6:08:22 pm

Hello - the support on this forum is incredible. I just searched through topics regarding dual monitors and read so many posts that helped other users that I gave me hope that I might prevail on this problem.

I am very new to Linux, migrated from XP. Finding my way around, but slowly. I have installed a second video card (8400gs) and am having difficulties with getting it to work. The monitor acts as if it isn't plugged in to the computer.

When I do lcspi, it tells me "05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation G98 [GeForce 8400 GS Rev. 2] (rev a1)".

I have purged Nvidia and installed Nvidia-current.

I have NVIDIA X Server Settings in my menu, but it doesn't show much (just Application Profiles and nvidia-settings Configuration).

When I look at System Tools - Settings - display, it shows only 1 monitor. The switch is in the ON position and I can't change it to OFF. When I click Detect Displays, the button depresses, but nothing happens.

I tried many different purges, installs, and removes. My most current set of steps was from here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2081649. The driver I am trying to install is NVIDIA-Linux-x86-331.67.run. Every time I try to install, it says it can't due to Nouveau.

I saw lots of references to this site https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/x-updates, but got confused as to what to do with the info and which file to get.

The monitor that is working is connected to the card that came with the computer and is listed as 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV370 [Radeon X300].

I have tried to give all the info I can think of, but am sure I have missed something. Please let me know if you need any other information and thank you for your time.

EDIT: I have just noticed that my title bar with minimize maximize and close buttons is gone from all windows. Don't know if this is related, but wanted to add it.

Wolfman

Sat May 10, 2014 8:01:57 pm

Hi,

unplug the 2nd monitor, boot into Recovery menu > network (network cable required > root and type the following command:

Code:
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

restart with Ctrl + Alt + Del. DO NOT CLICK ON RESUME!.

Do an update once rebooted!.

Don't try and install the drivers you downloaded, they aren't necessary!.

You might need to reset the monitor with either the reset-button on the face or inside on the onscreen settings before it sees the new drivers!.

Zak

Sat May 10, 2014 8:09:05 pm

Thanks Wolfman. I will try that.When you say "do an update once rebooted", what does that mean?

I just tried a few more solutions I saw posted on this site (as I was still trying to solve this while I wait for assistance) and just noticed my FIrefox webpage shortcuts on my desktop have changed to a piece of paper with a picture of the earth on it. The last thing I did was put sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade in the Terminal.

After this is all fixed (he says hopefully), I hope I can clean off all the unnecessary clutter. I knew how to do all this in XP. Vertical learning curves are painful....

Wolfman

Sat May 10, 2014 8:32:10 pm

Hi Zak,

which graphics card are you using, the AMD/ATI or the Nvidia, you cannot use both!.

If you have a seperate Nvidia card install, make sure you disable the onboard AMD card in BIOS before continuing with the above!.

By update I mean complete system update again with the command:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Zak

Sat May 10, 2014 8:54:19 pm

Hi Wolfman. I can't use 2 video cards? One for each monitor? That is how I had it set-up with windows.

Wolfman

Sat May 10, 2014 9:03:50 pm

Hi,

if you want to use both, be prepared for a lot of legwork and reading:

https://cornerstone.multitouch.fi/corne ... hics-cards

I have never done it so won't be any help at all!.

Are they Hybrid graphic cards?:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HybridGraphics

Zak

Sat May 10, 2014 9:14:30 pm

oh man....this is frustrating....so I installed all this cr*p on my computer and can't even use 2 cards. How do people connect multiple VGA monitors with only one card?

I don't know if they are hybrid cards. I am not sure what that is. I will read the link and see if I can figure it out.

Zak

Sat May 10, 2014 11:29:38 pm

Hi Wolfman -

I don't think they are hybrids. Both are in PCI slots. I got the computer from a friend and the AMD card was already in it. I pulled the GeForce card from another PC that had Windows XP on it and I used it so I could have 2 VGA monitors with extended desktop.

Anonymous

Sat May 10, 2014 11:44:46 pm

One graphics card will do...long as it has both [ DVI ] and [ VGA ] outputs.

To display two VGA Monitors...all you need is a DVI to VGA adapter.
The screenshot shows in reference !!~!!

Zak

Sun May 11, 2014 1:18:01 am

Hi Wolfman. I am learning so much...I have a DVI port on one of my monitors. I plan to pick-up a cord tomoroow. Should I be able to just plug it in and go to Displays and click Detect Diplays if it doesn't automatically show? Or should I do the steps you stated first? Do I need to take out the other card or can it stay there until I go into the machine to do something else?

Regarding the disappearing dock bar and additional unnecessary stuff that may have been installed on my PC while trying all these other steps, should I start new threads?

Wolfman

Sun May 11, 2014 6:10:43 am

Hi,

firstly, yes!, start a seperate thread if you haven't already done so for the other problem(s) you may have.

Second, follow Swarfs advice about using one graphics card with dual connectors as it is an easy out.

I have never done a double graphic card setup ever in my life and that is why I said/thought earlier that it cannot be done, sorry about that, I am a little thick sometimes!.

Keep the more powerful of the two cards, the Nvidia ones I can help you with!.

Do all the other things I said about Nvidia drivers/reset monitor etc, if you have AMD drivers installed and remove or disable it, remove the drivers but make sure you know the name of the driver package you installed.

Any further questions you have, please post them, there might be someone else on this forum that can help you!. :D

Zak

Sun May 11, 2014 2:59:38 pm

Thanks Wolfman. I didn't see a post by Swarf. I will look again.

The non-Geforce card is the one that is currently working. I don't know which is more powerful. How do I determine that? Should I just go with the one that is working?

Is it possible that my missing title bar and black bar at the bottome of the screen and non-fluidity when dragging are related to graphic card issues?

Zak

Sun May 11, 2014 6:08:18 pm

Okay...I got the DVI cord...got the 2nd monitor up (yea!) and now need to reverse so that the right one is the main screen. I tried editing the monitors.xml so that only this screen is primary, but that didn't work (by the way, it shows 3 monitors...the one I have on DVI, the one I have on VGA, then the one that is connected as DVI shows also as VGA (that is what is was connected as before adding the cord). Should I edit the file to delete that entry?). Then followed the post Swarf refers to http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1468925.

Still no luck.

My only way to get it to work is to reverse the order in Displays, but then that has the mouse going off the page in the wrong direction.

Swarfendor437

Sun May 11, 2014 7:49:49 pm

See Wolfman's post here about x-org RandR:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5477&p=26294&hilit=x+org+RandR#p26294

Zak

Mon May 12, 2014 4:23:13 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:See Wolfman's post here about x-org RandR:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5477&p=26294&hilit=x+org+RandR#p26294

Thanks Swarf. I just checked that out. I can't see how to change what is primary within that app. You can move the screens, but can you tell it which to make primary?

Zak

Mon May 12, 2014 8:01:49 am

Another tidbit....when I do the Look Changer in XP, the task bar is on the left computer. Switching to Gnome, they move to the right.

Wolfman

Mon May 12, 2014 10:39:57 am

Hi Zak,

I must say sorry to Gizmuntu who posted the info about the DVI/VGA adaptors, sorry Gizzy!. :D

Have you done the following:

removed the extra drivers for the graphics card you aren't using

done a full system update after removing said drivers:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

did you check in System Settings > Display > Dectect display/Mirror displays to see if that would help

To check what graphics card(s) you have, paste this command in a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) and look for "VGA compatible".

Code:
lspci

Let us know if this helps!.

Zak

Tue May 13, 2014 6:40:07 am

Wolfman wrote:Hi Zak,

I must say sorry to Gizmuntu who posted the info about the DVI/VGA adaptors, sorry Gizzy!. :D

Have you done the following:

removed the extra drivers for the graphics card you aren't using

done a full system update after removing said drivers:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

did you check in System Settings > Display > Dectect display/Mirror displays to see if that would help

To check what graphics card(s) you have, paste this command in a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) and look for "VGA compatible".

Code:
lspci

Let us know if this helps!.

I have the following installed:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV370 [Radeon X300]
05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation G98 [GeForce 8400 GS Rev. 2] (rev a1)

I am using the Radeon as that was the first one installed and working and I was able to add the other to the DVI port.

How do I determine what drivers I have installed and how do I delete them?

Wolfman

Tue May 13, 2014 1:37:54 pm

Hi,

in a terminal:

Code:
sudo apt-get purge nvidia-current

then restart and do an update, the above command is working on the basis that nvidia-current is installed!.

Zak

Tue May 13, 2014 7:08:44 pm

Hi Wolfman -

I did the steps you suggested. The Nvidia-current removed something and the update didn't install or remove anything.

I have adjusted to the current situation and don't want to take any more of your time. Thanks for you assistance in trying to fix this. Let's go ahead and close this thread.

Wolfman

Wed May 14, 2014 5:11:25 am

Hi,

will close thread per your request.

Start a new thred if you still have problems with the theming!. :D