This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Installed Zorin Gaming but cannot get to the bootloader

Pepperfreez

Sat May 10, 2014 8:04:57 pm

Hello,

Just to say it, i am new to this whole OS thing so please give me a tutorial or something or in a way that a tech savvy 15 yr old can understand. :geek: I installed Zorin Gaming with a dvd and as a dual-boot with Windows 8.1 and I gave it 150 gb. The problem is that after it told me to restart my computer, I cannot get back in without using the disk and getting a fresh new copy. I have already looked in the BIOS and there is no option for me to get to the boot-loader for Zorin. It looks like Zorin is not installed except for the fact that 150 gb is gone and nowhere to be found and also partition 8 has 150 gb in it. I tried using EasyBCD Loader and it did not work because Zorin has its own bootloader that is not listed. I did learn from EasyBCD that the Partition is not a primary. Is that important for it to be a primary? I would like to know how I could make zorin bootloader my default bootloader or how i could run it from windows bootloader or a software that could help or maybe even a keytroke that gives me the options. Thanks!

-Pepperfreez

Computer Specs:
OS - Windows 8.1, 64 bit
Computer - Asus Q500a
Processor - i5, x64

Wolfman

Sat May 10, 2014 8:08:10 pm

Hi,

boot the live CD and open a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) and paste the following command and then restart and see if it fixed the problem:

Code:
sudo update-grub

Did you do this with your disk?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

Pepperfreez

Sat May 10, 2014 8:27:15 pm

I did the burn at 2.0x which is slower. I also put in the code and got this

Code:
/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: failed to get canonical path of /cow.

I am very new to linux so I have no idea what this means

Pepperfreez

Sat May 10, 2014 8:30:19 pm

Wait, doesn't Zorin OS 8 have a "custom bootloader" that is supposed to work only for Zorin? Do they use GRUB? I might be talking out of my a** right now but thats what I interpreted from their website

Wolfman

Sat May 10, 2014 8:36:55 pm

Hi,

did you set up your partitions like the guide?:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

Yes it uses GRUB!. It (grub) should be installed on /dev/sda, if you chose another option, it won't boot!

Swarfendor437

Sun May 11, 2014 1:11:27 pm

If your machine came with Windows 8/8.1 then this will be a key part of the issue - Windows 8/8.1 needs 'EFI' to boot, Zorin needs 'Legacy' to boot - these settings are in the BIOS - did you see the link to the EasyBCD tutorial on how to get GNU/Linux running alongside 8 and what you need to do before each re-boot?

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6500