This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(CLOSED) Toolbars, themes, and icons...oh my!

Zak

Sun May 11, 2014 4:27:09 am

Hey everyone - I have been messing around trying to get a dual monitor set-up working and in the process totally screwed up some stuff on my desktop.

First of all, I have a black bar about an half inch high along the task bar at the bottom of the screen. I would attach images but I can't figure out how to do that by cropping in GIMP (total clueless wonder here).

Second, I suddenly have a Ubuntu picture as my menu icon instead of the blue Zorin Z. Then, although I have Zorin OS Box chosen as my menu type, I suddenly have a different set-up with my menu.

Third, in the themes in Desktop Appearance, I used to have nothing chosen. Now it is Ambiance and I can't change it to nothing.

Fourth, my icons on my desktop have changed to pictures I don't like as much.

Lastly, and most annoying, the minimize, maximize, and close buttons are gone and I have difficulty dragging windows now (they don't flow like curtains like they used to...now it is more of a stuttering).

Ahhhhhh! Please help. I really hope I don't have to reinstall.....

Zak

Sun May 11, 2014 4:42:09 am

Okay....after messing around in Ubuntu Tweaks, I was able to fix everything except the black bar at the bottom of the screen and the missing minimize, maximize and close. The icons look okay except my Firefox shortcut icons have a page with a world on it.

Any thoughts to these lingering issues?

Thanks!

Wolfman

Sun May 11, 2014 6:23:49 am

Hi Zak,

right click the desktop icon > properties > permissions > execute:
Tweak Tool Properties_014.jpg

See the post install guide too:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

Swarfendor437

Sun May 11, 2014 1:17:11 pm

You state you have ubuntu tweak installed - launch that and go to the 'Tweak' tab, then click on themes and change from one to the other - this should change your max, min and close buttons/problem out.

Zak

Sun May 11, 2014 2:55:43 pm

Hi Wolfman -

the permissions tab says permissions could not be determined.

Hi Swarf - I realize now that I am missing the title bar along with the buttons. Which theme is it...Windows or GTK? And does it change immediately or do I need to click some button to save? Without a titie bar, closing happens only from the task bar.

Swarfendor437

Sun May 11, 2014 7:20:40 pm

OK, start with the basic 'Tweak Tool' in Menu | System Tools | Preferences:

35.png

Check CompizConfig Settings Manager 'Effects' has 'window decorations' checked - you could uncheck and check to see if this resolves the issue (Menu | System Tools | Preferences):

31.png

Lastly, Ubuntu Tweak, Tweaks, Themes (Menu | System Tools | System Settings):

59.png

The last option virtually the same layout as 'Tweak Tool' - just click on the bottom right corner of each 'box' (blue line with triangle at right-end) to get the drop-down options.

After each selection it should change automatically. :D

Zak

Mon May 12, 2014 3:29:24 am

Thanks Swarf. I had tried all those (except the basic Tweak Tool...I don't seem to have that...running Zorin LTS 6) before coming here. No change.

Two pieces of information that might be relevant....I recently uninstalled and removed Evolution related items. Wondering if that is relevant due to dependancies.

Lots of the different suggestions I read about for getting the monitor to work had to do with installing and uninstalling NVIDIA settings, linux-source, linux-headers...could any of that be relevant?

Thanks for your patience with this...if this was XP, I think I would have figured it out by now....

Zak

Mon May 12, 2014 5:08:51 am

I read somewhere to try metacity --replace. It fixed the title bar issue. I might have to do that after every restart. Does this help explain what the problem is and where I could perform a more permanent fix? Also, if I change from XP to Gnome 2, the dock bar is the right size.

2 other pieces of info....I found the Tweak Tools you were referring to. They are called Advanced Settings in my edition of Zorin. Also, the Wobbly Windows isn't working anymore which, along with Windows Decorations, is making me think something went amiss with Compiz. Is there a way to reset it or reload it?

Wolfman

Mon May 12, 2014 10:52:42 am

Hi Wolfman -

the permissions tab says permissions could not be determined.

Hi,

are you logging in as "Guest", if you are, you cannot change ANYTHING!. :D

Swarfendor437

Mon May 12, 2014 11:57:55 am

Hi Wolfman, he is using 6 - I don't think 6 had the issue that 8 had at the login screen! ;)

Zak

Mon May 12, 2014 5:34:13 pm

Hey guys...logging in with my user name. Never as Guest.

Wolfman

Tue May 13, 2014 5:12:01 am

Hi,

try different themes from here to see if it fixes your theming problem:

http://www.noobslab.com/2011/11/themes- ... unity.html

Zak

Tue May 13, 2014 6:09:09 am

Hey Wolf -

the XP dock bar continues to be very tall and hard the icons are hard to see and take up a lot of width. I switched to Gnome Look and it seems to resolve this issue and the monitor issue. I am not seeing this as the solution to the problem as the XP look was fine until I started messing with installing and removing various things to try and get my dual monitors situated. I think ultimately it had something to do with the Gnome Panel removal and/or installation or the uninstallation of Evolution.

I appreciate the help everyone has given and only have 1 remaining question at this point and then the thread can be closed.....My understanding is that installing some things (settings, programs, I don't know exactly) can override your current set-up and cause some of the problems I am seeing. What kinds of things are they so I make sure to stay away from them? And if I do happen to install the wrong thing (and don't know what I did that was wrong), how do I deterimine what it was and remove it?

Wolfman

Tue May 13, 2014 1:30:15 pm

H Zak,

sort the problem with the graphic card drivers first then concentrate on theming!. Check your other thread!. :D

Zak

Tue May 13, 2014 7:10:49 pm

Hi Wolf -

I did the steps with the graphic card. The Windows XP task bar now has the black bar back.

Although I love problem solving and figuring things out, this has taken enough of both yours and my time. I have adjusted to the current set-up by using the Gnome Look and metacity --replace in startup to replace the title bars.

Thanks again for your time. Please close the thread.

Wolfman

Wed May 14, 2014 5:09:06 am

Hi,

will close thread per your request, did you try the "Noobslab" link?.