This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How to install iTunes?

dat_sylveon

Sun May 11, 2014 3:14:38 pm

Hi forum people. I need some help with getting iTunes to work.
I recently decided that Windows 7 was too slow with all those things included with it, and that a more light-weight OS such as Linux would be faster. So I found Zorin.

So far it looks beautiful. It is fast, lightweight and has a cool appearance. I also noticed Wine, which is pretty cool in that it allows me to run the programs that Im used to on Windows in Zorin. However I got a problem with it. I need to get iTunes to work, but it didnt, for some reason. The download page recognized my OS as Windows 64-bit. So I thought "thats fine", downloaded, but when I run the installer it crashed, telling me that "The installer requires Windows Vista 64-bit or later." Tried multiple times with the same result.
When I downloaded the installer I thought it would run fine, because AFAIK Wine emulates windows 7. AFAIK Windows 7 IS later than windows vista, and I have 64-bit Zorin. But apparently, it doesnt emulate Windows 7 or something else went wrong.

I googled "how to get itunes working on zorin" and came at a forum post by someone who had zorin 5.1, and another user linked him to an article on Ubuntuka(here). So I tried all approaches listed there.

Approach 1 seemed to be the best option, but it didnt work, as described above. The article mentioned that you couldnt sync iOS with it. So even if it would have worked it wouldnt be a solution.

Approach 2 didnt really make sense. It literally suggested that I made a virtual machine running exactly the same OS as Im running now, presumably to only experience the same problem. And even if it suggested making a virtual windows 7, that could have worked, but that would require me to start up a virtual computer, start iTunes, just to play a few songs stuck in my head or sync my iPod.

Approach 3 suggested I install windows 7 as a multiboot OS. That breaks the whole idea of switching to Zorin, as I would just get Windows 7 again. And I would have to reboot my PC and follow the same steps that I mentioned above.

Approach 4 would have worked to some kind of solve the problem, but most people reading the article want to get iTunes because they are more used to it, or because they want to use the same library as they did. Or like me, when you could use the native player but need to use iTunes for the purpose of syncing iOS.

Approach 5 really didnt make sense. They actually suggest buying legal copies of music tracks. Who said iTunes' purpose was to get pirated music? There is an iTunes store where you can buy music.

So basically I need to use iTunes for the purpose of syncing iOS. AFAIK the native player doesnt support this, so I need to use iTunes. But its not working.

Anonymous

Sun May 11, 2014 3:41:19 pm

You can very easily add/install [ ITUNES ] via [ Play on Linux ] !!!!

The link below tells you everything you need to know about [ Play on Linux ]

Link : http://www.playonlinux.com/en/

Take a look at the screenshot below to look see.

Anonymous

Sun May 11, 2014 3:53:18 pm

Also did you know that VLC Media Player does.
Look at screenshot below !!!!

dat_sylveon

Sun May 11, 2014 3:56:05 pm

Gizmuntu wrote:You can very easily add/install [ ITUNES ] via [ Play on Linux ] !!!!

I tried installing itunes via PoL, but it was a testing package(possibly implying it has many bugs, even though that wouldnt really matter), and its desc mentioned that 64-bit version didnt work yet, and iDevice syncing didnt either. The last point is exactly what I need itunes for =(

Gizmuntu wrote:Also did you know that VLC Media Player does.

You might already have figured it out but I am a total noob to Linux, should I download the Ubuntu version of VLC or do I download the windows version and use wine?

Anonymous

Sun May 11, 2014 4:05:05 pm

dat_sylveon wrote:
Gizmuntu wrote:You can very easily add/install [ ITUNES ] via [ Play on Linux ] !!!!

I tried installing itunes via PoL, but it was a testing package(possibly implying it has many bugs, even though that wouldnt really matter), and its desc mentioned that 64-bit version didnt work yet, and iDevice syncing didnt either. The last point is exactly what I need itunes for =(

Gizmuntu wrote:Also did you know that VLC Media Player does.

You might already have figured it out but I am a total noob to Linux, should I download the Ubuntu version of VLC or do I download the windows version and use wine?

Install via [ Software Center ]

Anonymous

Sun May 11, 2014 4:18:18 pm

And I forgot to mention to you about [ GTK-POD IPOD MANAGER ]
Works pretty good...I 've used it myself in the past.
Look at the screenshot...the app can be installed via [ Software Center ]