This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

A little advice for a new boy!

Kelvin

Mon May 12, 2014 11:03:00 am

Hi all,

As a Windows user until now, I am new to the world of Linux/Ubuntu and I would really appreciate some advice and hand holding please.

I am looking to reinvigorate my laptop now that Windows XP has come the end of its (supported) life without spending a fortune.

Of all the online searching I have done I have been directed towards Zorin 8. I tried more times than I can bear to remember to download and burn to disc but this consistently failed so I have purchased the disc direct.

Using the OS live from the DVD I like the system and would like to use it but reading forums it appears to me that this version will not be supportd beyond the summer, therefore I can see little advanatage to me in installing it.

Can any one give me advice on a similar OS that will have long term support?

Additionally with regard to installation which would be considered the best route, full install or dual boot? Being new to this I am uncertain of the pitfalls or advantages of each option.

Any help gratefully received, thanks.

Wolfman

Mon May 12, 2014 11:31:03 am

Hi,

if you purchased Zorin 8, you will need to contact the devs for an upgrade to version 9 when it becomes available!.

http://www.zorin-os.com/contacts.html

An install is better than Live CD and you can keep your data if you follow this guide when doing a new install of version 9:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848

To dual boot, see the full partitioning guide:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

Post any further questions you have!. :D

Linx

Fri May 16, 2014 9:31:47 pm

with linux an OS being "supported" has always been kinda fuzzy to me. as you still get updates LONG after the support has "ended" and that really is what most ppl want, the security updates.

version 9 is to be LTS version (long term support) and one of my favorite parts, you can update and upgrade anytime you want..
if you create a "data" partition like many users do, then the upgrade is as simple as a clean install... which is completely awesome..

However if you don't want the rolling updates that come with any Ubuntu based OS (like Zorin) then debian is also a good choice, but I would advise you to look around, most linux distros have a live disk, I have about 60-100 different Distros I have tried, and I have found I have several I really enjoy using on a regular basis for different reasons. CentOS for my server, SliTaz for my recovery media, and Zorin OS for my regular use computer.

And it is alot of fun to really dig into the linux world.