This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

newbie here - netflix not working well in zorin 8

tmak

Mon May 12, 2014 8:49:07 pm

Hi,

very very beginner here and just recently dual booted my old xp machine and now running zorin os 8 and it has been good except i can't seem to get netflix working right - i tried the desktop method shown here on this forum and on youtube - but the desktop netflix icon doesn't do anything - then i tried another way using a download of "pipelight" and that allowed me to open netflix in chrome but the playback is choppy and video and audio get out of sync. any ideas? anyone able to get netflix to work well in zorin 8?

I want to make zorin my only operating system but i use netflix alot and would hate to give it up on my laptop.

Thanks.

j

Wolfman

Tue May 13, 2014 5:18:55 am

Hi,

have you done a full system update?, do that first with this terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) command and reastart:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Have you installed your graphics card drivers?, paste this command in a terminal if you aren't sure and post the feedback here so we can see:

Code:
lspci

Swarfendor437

Tue May 13, 2014 11:47:22 am

Also checkout the official project page on launchpad:

https://launchpad.net/netflix-desktop

Ineteresting article here:

http://www.ubuntuask.com/q/answers-just ... 19255.html

tmak

Tue May 13, 2014 4:43:51 pm

Hello,

again, thanks for the replies - and i tried all the suggestions but still no dice - the netflix desktop icon still doesn't open and when i play from chrome video slows and audio becomes unsynced with video - any ideas?

thanks

j

Wolfman

Tue May 13, 2014 5:01:04 pm

Hi,

have you installed the package "netfiix-desktop"?, in a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t):

Code:
sudo apt-get install netflix-desktop

Have you installed "mono-complete"?

Code:
sudo apt-get install mono-complete

Have you installed "Pipelight" correctly?:

http://www.webupd8.org/2013/08/pipeligh ... linux.html

tmak

Tue May 13, 2014 6:32:44 pm

Hi and thanks,

yep installed netflix.desktop and mono-complete and pipelight - i have been pasting commands in to terminal all day - but still no joy - bad play back in chrome and the netflix icon which appears in my sound and video menu stills does nothing when i click on it.

Thanks for all the help - has anyone gotten netflix to work in 8? maybe there is something in 8 that wasn't in zorin 6/7 that is preventing the netflix desktop from working?

j

blfriis

Tue May 13, 2014 7:57:34 pm

Hi tmak I'm running Zorin 8 and I have no problem with Netflix. All I have done was run this command.
Code:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ehoover/compholio && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install netflix-desktop

Then start the netflix desktop and let it update everything, then you should be able to watch netflix ;)

tmak

Tue May 13, 2014 10:56:17 pm

Thanks, i tried those commands and again the netflix desktop does not open, any ideas of what i am missing here?

Wolfman

Wed May 14, 2014 5:04:14 am

Hi,

do you mean the desktop icon?.

Right click the Netflix icon > Preferences > > Execute (put a tick in the box and close preferences), it should show a pic now!. Double click to open it.

Have you tried clicking on the Netflix icon in the main menu?.

tmak

Wed May 14, 2014 7:04:38 am

Thanks for all the help,

yes i have tried clicking netflix icon from the main menu and i have right clicked and make a shortcut on to my desktop and checked to see that it was executable "the box was checked" and i have doubled clicked on the icon on the desktop - i get that little spinny wheel thing but it never opens - seems like it wants to. could it be a hardware problem?

Wolfman

Wed May 14, 2014 9:25:41 am

Hi,

a hardware problem is possible, is everything else running okay though?.

Open a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) and paste the following command:

Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a

then run the update command again:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

then restart and see if it helps.

What graphics card do you have?.

In a terminal:

Code:
lspci

and paste the result please!.

tmak

Thu May 15, 2014 1:04:42 am

Hi,

and really thanks for all the help, still no dice,

here is what i got after "lspci"

00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RS480/RS482/RS485 Host Bridge (rev 10)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RC4xx/RS4xx PCI Bridge [int gfx]
00:05.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RC4xx/RS4xx PCI Express Port 2
00:06.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RC4xx/RS4xx PCI Express Port 3
00:12.0 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB600 Non-Raid-5 SATA
00:13.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB600 USB (OHCI0)
00:13.1 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB600 USB (OHCI1)
00:13.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB600 USB (OHCI2)
00:13.3 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB600 USB (OHCI3)
00:13.4 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB600 USB (OHCI4)
00:13.5 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB600 USB Controller (EHCI)
00:14.0 SMBus: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00 SMBus Controller (rev 13)
00:14.1 IDE interface: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB600 IDE
00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
00:14.3 ISA bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB600 PCI to LPC Bridge
00:14.4 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RS482M [Mobility Radeon Xpress 200]
05:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN (rev 01)
08:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX (rev 02)
08:01.0 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 19)
08:01.1 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C843 MMC Host Controller (rev 01)

Wolfman

Thu May 15, 2014 5:31:43 am

HI,

this is your graphics card:

01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RS482M [Mobility Radeon Xpress 200]

Have you installed any drivers for it?. Take a look here but make sure you read it carefully!:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6951

Not all cards are supported by the newer drivers and I cannot see your Radeon card here among the supported cards!:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver

so you may have to stick to what you have (onboard drivers) if you cannot find it on the other pages in the other links!.

tmak

Thu May 15, 2014 7:14:57 am

Thanks Wolfman,

well now a new thing - so now i click on the netflix icon on my desktop and it opens firefox window and goes to the netflix website - i put in my log info and but when i want to play a video it tells me i need to install "silverlight" i click ok and it downloads a file a silverlight.exe which using WINE i opened and installed - i closed everything and even rebooted but when i clicked on the netflix icon it brings up the firefox page and i try and play a video the webpage saids again you have to install silverlight - thing strange thing is i can get a netflix video to play in chrome using the 'chrome ua spoofer - setting to firefox 15" but the video is unsynced with the audio

j

Wolfman

Thu May 15, 2014 7:24:45 am

Hi,

did you activate/enable "Pipelight"?:

Code:
sudo pipelight-plugin --enable silverlight

tmak

Thu May 15, 2014 4:01:00 pm

Hi Wolfman,

enabled pipelight with your command - netflix desktop still asking me to download silverlight

j

Wolfman

Thu May 15, 2014 5:17:25 pm

Hi,

try removing Pipelight and let Netflix install its version!:

Code:
sudo apt-get remove pipelight

tmak

Thu May 15, 2014 9:02:26 pm

Hi Wolfman,

thanks for suggestion about removing pipelight and letting netflix install silverlight - but one thought - netflix doesn't install the silverlight - i click the install button when netflix tells me to but all that happens is it downloads (but does not install) silverlight - i think i figured out that i open the silverlight .exe file with wine and it seems to install and saids it installed but when i open netflix it then again ask to install silverlight.

tmak

Thu May 15, 2014 9:36:09 pm

Hi again,

another thing i noticed if make my browser window (chrome) much smaller (little smaller then a 3x5 card) the video and audio seem to stay synced -

Wolfman

Fri May 16, 2014 12:42:27 pm

Hi,

have you tried using Pipelight in Firefox?.

tmak

Fri May 16, 2014 1:16:46 pm

Hi Wolfman,

how would i use pipelight in Firefox?

Anonymous

Fri May 16, 2014 1:29:28 pm

When installing PipeLight...do not....I repeat...do not have any web browser open when doing the installation.

tmak

Fri May 16, 2014 1:33:38 pm

ok, what if i did have a web browser open with doing the installation?

tmak

Fri May 16, 2014 1:34:33 pm

i am pretty sure i had chrome open during my installation of pipelight

Anonymous

Fri May 16, 2014 4:30:13 pm

Start from scratch !!!!

Link : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6437

tmak

Fri May 16, 2014 4:54:23 pm

Hi,

more and more i am thinking this might be related to my graphics card and the driver zorin is using - cause i am noticing that even youtube videos if played a full screen have some issues

Wolfman

Sat May 17, 2014 6:44:55 am

tmak wrote:Hi Wolfman,

how would i use pipelight in Firefox?

Hi,

as far as I know, Firefox is the default for Pipelight but I could be wrong!.

It may well be a hardware problem but I cannot say for certain!.

Have you tried Opera browser?.

Wolfman

Sun May 18, 2014 5:10:40 am

Hi,

another thing I have thought of, do you have "gnash" installed?, if you do; remove it completely with the following terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) command:

Code:
sudo apt-get remove gnash

MAKE SURE YOUR BROWSERS AND NETFILX PLAYER ARE SHUT WHEN DOING THE ABOVE!. :D

tmak

Sun May 18, 2014 6:03:25 pm

Hi Wolfman,

Thanks again, i ran your command and it said i didn't have gnash installed but when i looked in synaptic package manager it said i had "gnash-cygnal" installed?

should i try should i remove it from synapitc package manager?

j

Wolfman

Sun May 18, 2014 7:33:52 pm

Hi,

delete anything to do with "gnash"!. :D

tmak

Mon May 19, 2014 5:43:34 pm

Hi Wolfman,

thanks for all the help - i used synapitc package manager and removed anything with gnash - but sadly netflix still doesn't play well. But i really do appreciate all your help - this forum page is really great.

jt

Wolfman

Mon May 19, 2014 6:12:06 pm

Hi J,

try downloading this package (Latest version is 0.8.7 ) and see if you can get it to work with this package:

https://launchpad.net/netflix-desktop

http://www.compholio.com/netflix-desktop/

Extract the downloaded file and read the instructions as I haven't done anything with Netflix before!, there seem to be several bug reports on that Launchpad page!. :D

tmak

Mon May 19, 2014 8:21:43 pm

Hi Wolfman,

ya i tried that download and still the same playback issues. i am thinking it has to do with the graphics card and driver - my machine is old - over 7 years and i didn't see the driver for my graphics card on that link you provided of listed drivers - so maybe this graphics card and the generic graphics driver Zorin is using just aren't up to the task to playing video cause i noticed on even playing youtube videos - if viewed at full screen the video lags a bit too.

Still I really appreciate all the help - maybe when Zorin 9 comes out it might help

j

Anonymous

Mon May 19, 2014 10:08:40 pm

tmak :
When you get a chance leave detailed specs on your Notebook.
Make >
Model >> Notebook
Model > Graphics
RAM

And I'll go over to the shop and pull a Notebook from storage close to yours to see what's the malfunction.

Gizzy

tmak

Tue May 20, 2014 12:31:33 am

Hi Gizzy,

thanks for your help,

its a Dell model inspiron 1501
graphics card: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RS482M [Mobility Radeon Xpress 200]
2gb of ram.

I have dual booted it - keeping my old xp side just to finish backing up some files and i am using Zorin 8.

Once again thanks for the help - this website and the people on it are GREAT.

jt

Anonymous

Tue May 20, 2014 12:40:58 am

I will get back with you by tomorrow evening eastern time.
I'm the one to say [ Never Say Never ]
Wish me luck !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

tmak

Tue May 20, 2014 12:44:04 am

Good Luck and thanks

jt

Wolfman

Tue May 20, 2014 2:33:39 pm

Hi JT,

there is a new version of Pipelight available, try updating and running everything again!.

tmak

Tue May 20, 2014 3:57:42 pm

Hi Wolfman,

do you know what version it is?

thanks

jt

Wolfman

Tue May 20, 2014 5:23:34 pm

Hi JT,

just found this and it should install the latest version for you:

http://itsfoss.com/netflix-ubuntu-1404-desktop-app/

Don't worry that it states Ubuntu 14.04, it should still work!. :D

tmak

Tue May 20, 2014 9:03:55 pm

Thanks Wolfman,

installed everything like it said but still playback is bad, choppy video and video/audio unsynced.

jt

Wolfman

Wed May 21, 2014 5:19:56 am

Hi,

do you have another graphics card lying around that you can try out?.

I honestly don't know what else you can do as it seems you just don't have enough power to run the graphics?. (Maybe more RAM??????)

Wolfman

Wed May 21, 2014 5:21:56 am

Hi JT,

another question, did you do a disk install and did you follow this advice?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

Not burning at the correct speed can also cause system problems!. :D

tmak

Wed May 21, 2014 10:13:38 am

Hi Wolfman,

its a laptop so i don't have another graphics card to install in it, i installed Zorin from a usb drive. It only has 2gb of ram and have thought about installing another 2gb. I think its a driver problem - its ok - its an old machine. :)

Thanks

jt

tmak

Wed May 21, 2014 10:15:45 am

Gizzy,

did you ever have a chance to if you had a similar model of computer and if you could get it to work?

jt

Anonymous

Wed May 21, 2014 2:24:21 pm

tmak wrote:Gizzy,

did you ever have a chance to if you had a similar model of computer and if you could get it to work?

jt

One your Notebook was the very first AMD [ ALL ] for Dell !!!!
That alt to give you a clue what can happen.
Datek always scrapped models like that.
I found one a couple of years newer and got it to work.
But it had one of the old Nvidia Graphics built in the Notebook.
If I remember right XBMC has an Netflix add-on for it.
I'll check on that today for you.
That can be a bit tricky depending on the dev. behind the add-on.

Anonymous

Wed May 21, 2014 3:34:26 pm

Try Add-On's via XBMC and look at their WiKi.
Have things to do for the shop...have to help out when I can.
I'll look in on ya later !!!!
XBMC has always surprised me with their Add-Ons !!!!
Hint Hint !!!! :D :D
You can tweak video big time via XBMC.
I suggest you master it on that Notebook and make it your main purpose... when doing anything video wise.
Hint Hint !!!! :D :D
XBMC can modify and makeup for a world of misery.

Link : http://lifehacker.com/netflixbmc-brings ... 1484237283

Link : http://mymediaexperience.com/integrate- ... into-xbmc/

Jesse

Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:44:05 pm

blfriis wrote:...I'm running Zorin 8 and I have no problem with Netflix...Then start the netflix desktop and let it update everything, then you should be able to watch netflix

Greetings tribe - This is my first week with Zorin 8 and I'm unable to locate the Netflix app icon. I don't think I have Utility dash on here yet (Where would that be if I had it?)

I followed all the instructions I can find on installing Pipelight and Mono Moonlight and the closest I can get to watching Netflix is the screen that prompts me to download Silverlight (which I've done). So I'm thinking I need to find that Netflix app icon.

Thanks
Jesse

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:05:43 pm

Jesse wrote:
blfriis wrote:...I'm running Zorin 8 and I have no problem with Netflix...Then start the netflix desktop and let it update everything, then you should be able to watch netflix

Greetings tribe - This is my first week with Zorin 8 and I'm unable to locate the Netflix app icon. I don't think I have Utility dash on here yet (Where would that be if I had it?)

I followed all the instructions I can find on installing Pipelight and Mono Moonlight and the closest I can get to watching Netflix is the screen that prompts me to download Silverlight (which I've done). So I'm thinking I need to find that Netflix app icon.

Thanks
Jesse

Netflix is not an icon/app that is readily available in Zorin - install Opera 12.16 for Ubuntu from www.opera.com and install the add-on 'Film info and reviews':

https://addons.opera.com/en/search/?query=netflix

Jesse

Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:04:21 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Netflix is not an icon/app that is readily available in Zorin...

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. I was referring to this paragraph from the instructions at the following link:

Once installed, go up to the top left of your screen and open your Unity dash and search for Netflix and run the app. It will load up everything needed on the first run. After logging into your Netflix account and selecting a video to play, Silverlight should ask you to enable DRM content. Please enable. Netflix movies should work fine now...

http://www.iheartubuntu.com/2012/11/ppa ... p-app.html

The verbiage in Terminal gives me the impression that it's on my machine now but I can't find it anywhere using the Search for Files utility. If the app is on there, where would it found if it's not in "Downloads"?

Swarfendor437

Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:45:08 am

Easiest way would be to open a terminal (Menu | Accessories | Terminal) and enter:

Code:
netflix

If it asks - did you mean ...

Then type that in - once launched, 'pin' it to the panel by right-clicking it. :D

Jesse

Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:42:29 pm

tmak wrote:...very beginner here and just recently dual booted my old xp machine and now running zorin os 8 and it has been good except i can't seem to get netflix working right...

Hello - I seem to be in the same boat. Are you getting any closer?

I found the Netflix icon, put it on the desktop and double clicking it causes Wine to update but then nothing. Started Netflix manually in the browser window and I get stuck at the screen prompting me to download Silverlight which I've done and enabled in Terminal (although like you, I don't see any evidence that Silverlight was installed).

I don't thinks it's a hardware issue because I loaded Zorin 8 alongside XP and Netflix works fine in XP. In fact every video platform I'll tried in Zorin seems to work OK except Netflix - or is there something I'm not understanding? The reason I picked Zorin 8 is I read that if my system could run Windows XP, it can run Zorin 8. (Interesting to note - when I right click on Netflix in "Sound & Video" or on the desktop, "Preferences" and "Execute" are not options for me).

I not only installed Pipelight but also installed Mono Moonlight and apparently neither one care to step up to the plate.

Question for Techies: If I were going to remove Pipelight, Moonlight and Silverlight and start from scratch, what Terminal commands would I need and is there anything else I should remove or reconfigure before starting again?

Thanks

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:33:18 pm

Hi, the commands for removing are:

Code:
sudo apt-get purge [linux name of application - all in lowercase and sometimes 'hyphenated' e.g., google-chrome-stable

As for getting closer - does this help?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2184246

Jesse

Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:23:59 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, the commands for removing are:

Code:
sudo apt-get purge [linux name of application - all in lowercase and sometimes 'hyphenated' e.g., google-chrome-stable

Hello again - I got Netflix to work in Firefox. When I clicked on the Netflix desktop icon, it updated and installed Wine and Silverlight 5.0. So I guess Pipelight is working in the background to make Netflix run on Firefox now. Is that right? Is Pipelight necessary for this operation or is it just between Wine and Silverlight?

Thanks for the help. By the way, when you write to me, assume I don't know anything about anything.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:40:04 pm

HI Jesse, Silverlight is no longer supported for GNU/Linux so I am guessing that Pipelight is somehow running in the background - I honestly can't answer that without seeing what you have installed - and even then I may not be able to tell! You could run 'System Monitor' to see what apps are running when you do run Netflix - System Tools | System Monitor | Processes Tab. :D