This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Printer help

david7307

Tue May 13, 2014 11:28:46 pm

my old Hp printer has gone to the big scrap heap in the sky
it was good on Linux plug in a and use
what other printer brands are linux friendly, i have read some place, some are very hard to install
any help please

Wolfman

Wed May 14, 2014 5:06:48 am

Hi David,

buy another HP printer as they are well supported, just make sure you install the package "hplip-gui" (AKA = HPLip-Toolbox)!.

http://h10018.www1.hp.com/wwsolutions/l ... g_imaging/

david7307

Wed May 14, 2014 8:31:40 am

Ok i have bought a HP officejet 2620
when i plug it into my usb ports ,zorin does not see it, or printer is not sending info to zorin ,have tried the soft ware and it does not find printer,
have piuged it into computer with windows 7 ,and win7 picks it us straight a way this is a dual boot system so all usb ports are the same
i am running Zorin 8
Do i have to load drivers :?:

Wolfman

Wed May 14, 2014 9:19:00 am

Hi David,

install hplip-gui as explained before, then click on HPLip-Toolbox, see the printer section here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

david7307

Wed May 14, 2014 10:54:24 am

the one fron the software download in the old copy of the file we need ,and i down loaded the latest one from their site 3,14 now the fun part the terminal to tell it what to do with it
what a shambles in this day and age ,its drag and drop, the quicker Linux sticks the terminal where the sun dont shine the better
you have just lost one more patron back to windows at least it works
thanks for your help

Swarfendor437

Wed May 14, 2014 12:10:08 pm

Hi David - to be fair, just remember who created the problems in the first place - hardware manufacturers failing to supply PPD's (Proprietary Printer Drivers)! ;)

(Edited: misnomer of terminology - originally quoted Linux Printer Drivers when it should have been 'PPD'! :D )

Wolfman

Wed May 14, 2014 2:20:10 pm

david7307 wrote:the one fron the software download in the old copy of the file we need ,and i down loaded the latest one from their site 3,14 now the fun part the terminal to tell it what to do with it
what a shambles in this day and age ,its drag and drop, the quicker Linux sticks the terminal where the sun dont shine the better
you have just lost one more patron back to windows at least it works
thanks for your help

Hi,

all you had to do was follow what I said earlier, I have a HP printer!.

Code:
sudo apt-get install hplip-gui

Open HPlip-Toolbox and thats it!.

david7307

Wed May 14, 2014 5:48:37 pm

i have opened toolbox my printer is not on the list that is supplied, the version on Zorin is not the up to date version , and when i down load the latest version i have to install it via terminal that's where i get lost ,sorry
i was in a very bad mood last night i had been up very early had a printer c*** its self, then over 3 hours trying to install drivers for it, and still not done ,
i do appreciate all the help you people put in

Wolfman

Thu May 15, 2014 5:41:35 am

Hi,

I use the version that is in the repos, plug the printer into the mains and then go to System Settings > Hardware > Printers > Add, once that is done, run HPLip-Toolbox again!.