This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

IP Conflict on an ethernet

dlk

Wed May 14, 2014 1:27:13 am

I am a new to Linux and Zorin. I have searched the forum but only see IP conflicts referenced on wifi enabled machines. I have a home network that is a mix of wifi and ethernet. My Zorin machine is an older run-of-the-mill Compaq Pentium desktop, it connects via Ethernet and has no wifi card. I have only had it installed a couple of days but it causes an ip conflict on the network and knocks all of the wireless devices offline(Windows desktops, laptops, iphones). It isn't immediate but it happens eventually. My only fix is to reset the cable modem and router after shutting down the Zorin desktop. I have gone through this several times and it seems to be persistent issue. I am not a network engineer and have not messed with the settings on the router(netgear), it worked out of the box and I didn't mess with it.

I installed Linux Mint on a different machine and it caused no issues all day, so it is either an issue with the Zorin installation or the desktop. I am tempted to install mint on the desktop to narrow down the problem but was hoping this might have a known solution.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Wolfman

Wed May 14, 2014 5:29:26 am

Hi,

are you using a "Network hub" or is the PC connected directly to the router?. :D

I cannot think of any reason why Zorin would do that, have you tried running Zorin Live CD and see if it happens then?. :D

Swarfendor437

Wed May 14, 2014 12:03:27 pm

Can you post a screenshot of your IPv4 settings screen?

1. right-click the network manager applet and select 'Edit connections'

2. Click on the wired tab - from recollection this should be the first one that shows up any way - click on the 'Edit' button on the write of the interface that opens.

3. Click on 'IPv4' settings tab - if it is set to 'DHCP' try changing this to 'DHCP (ip addresses only) and see if this resolves the issue.

:D

Linx

Fri May 16, 2014 8:31:47 pm

it can be a DHCP issue, make sure you aren't using any extra network devices you don't need.

and next time you have an issue try this:
'sudo dhclient eth0'
and see if it helps.

I would also suggest powering down all networked devices, and power on the modem first, wait about 2 minutes then power on the router (if you have one). Then the Zorin desktop, then each other computer trying to keep each power on about 2 minutes apart ...