This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] admin logIn not present

ahimsa

Wed May 14, 2014 4:49:02 pm

Hello - This is my first post here. I just finished installing zorin on an old desktop and for the first time installing and using it. I have a few weeks experience with linux but I'm still a beginner. ..... My question is this; After installing zorin the os is only allowing me to login as "Guest". It shows my user name and when I click on "Guest" it merely changes to a different graphic display for Guest log in with no option for logging in as administrator. I could use some help. Thanks.

ahimsa

Wed May 14, 2014 5:13:02 pm

I'm a newbie to zorin and linux. After installing zorin when I attempt to login I am only being presented with my user name and the option to sign in as "Guest" requiring password. Did I do something wrong with the installation? When I tried what 'Wolfman' suggests by clicking on "Guest" to change the log in to "administrator", the login screen/graphic changes yet remains with my user name and only the option to login as "Guest". How do I log in as administator?

Swarfendor437

Wed May 14, 2014 7:12:53 pm

Hi ahimsa, and welcome to the Zorin forum!

Please see Wolfman's advisory on your issue here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7401 :D

Swarfendor437

Wed May 14, 2014 7:19:43 pm

OK, so I see you followed wolfman's guide! If not clear, do this. Boot the machine and when you get to the login screen:

1. Press the 'down arrow' (cursor keys) to show 'Guest'

2. Press the 'up arrow' (cursor keys) to select your user account you created when installing Zorin.

There is no 'administration' account as such - you have to 'run as ...' administrator - in GNU/Linux this is 'root'. Whenever you want to install software or undertake other 'root' (administrator) tasks, you will be asked to enter your login password.

Hope this helps! (If it doesn't, wait for Wolfman!) :D

ahimsa

Wed May 14, 2014 9:30:41 pm

Swarfendor437 - Thank you for the welcome. Unfortunately when I use the Up - Down keys to switch between accounts the only two choices I get are with my ID in the login box and "Guest Session" outside of the box, ... or, ... "Guest" inside the login box and my ID outside of the login box.

Wolfman

Thu May 15, 2014 5:38:37 am

Just click on your name and it should move to above the login window, then enter your password!. :D

Swarfendor437

Thu May 15, 2014 11:44:42 am

Hi, just to add, that is all you will ever see unless you add other users - there is no 'root/administrator' account login - you have to elevate yourself to 'root' once you have logged in! :D

ahimsa

Sat May 17, 2014 6:59:16 pm

Thank you both for your help. I was not receiving notification emails from the forum here (even though I did check the notify me box), or I would have responded sooner. After reading both your responses I attempted to login again today and it logged me in with administrative access, so some how it just seemed to resolve on it's own. ...... I love this distro of linux and am glad I stumbled onto it. Have a great day and thanks again.