This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[CLOSED] Cannot set permissions for external usb harddrive

AlanNancyB

Thu May 15, 2014 4:03:46 pm

]Zorin, I love it,"Most of the time" I have a Dell Poweredge 200 with Zorin 8 installed. I have 4 large usb drives, 2 to 3 TB which I want to share to my other computers running Zorin 8. I plan on using this Zorin box as just a server to share these external drives. however, I have tried everything I could find on line to set up permissions and sharing of these drives with no success. When I log onto one of these drives and go to permissions, and try to change to read and write, it bounces back to read only, and when I set up a share of the folder, it shows up on onther computers but is not accessable. I'm fairly new with Zorin, and would appreicate any help that anyone would be willing to share. Thanks

Swarfendor437

Thu May 15, 2014 10:05:55 pm

Hi there, the first problem will be your 3 Tb drives - they aren't supported by GNU/Linux distributions ... period! The maximum supported size is 2 Tb. Have you installed Samba and implemented CIFS within it?

For starters, check this article out:

http://travelinlibrarian.info/2013/05/h ... s-network/

Wolfman

Fri May 16, 2014 12:38:23 pm

AlanNancyB

Sat May 17, 2014 5:27:56 pm

One drive is a 3 tb divided into 3 partitions of 1 tb each. Can I make it 1 partition with 2 tb and leave the rest un-allocated? I am using samba. Also, If i put these back on the windows machine, copied everything off to the 3 tb, re-partitioned the 2 tb drives to ext4, and copied everything back to them, and moved them back to the Zorin box, would this be easier to set up the shares?

Also, How do I set up an avatar and the slogan at the bottom of the page on this forum?

Wolfman

Sun May 18, 2014 4:35:10 am

Hi,

you can try setting up with only 2 partitions, the question is whether or not Ubuntu (Zorin OS) can read the partitions afterwards?.

Click on top right "User Control Panel" to make changes to avatar etc!, right beside your username when you log in!. :D

AlanNancyB

Tue May 20, 2014 3:13:35 am

This system is really discouraging. I wish I could make it work, but after 3 months of tinkering without any results, I think it's time to give up. I will look around for other options before going back to greedy windows. I had windows xp on this machine before and it shared all the externals with zorin with no problem, but zorin does not seem to be able to do the same for itsself. This is a server, it will be used for shareing these drives and nothing else. If I could murder root, then maybe its possible, but I guess i'm just tired of failure. Thanks to everyone who tried to help. Alan

Swarfendor437

Tue May 20, 2014 11:42:18 am

OK, so if it's a server you are trying to achieve then you won't (yet!) with Zorin - you would be better at looking at CentOS 6.5 - haven't time to find the link now but search for setting up CentOS as a server (Community version of Red Hat)! :D

AlanNancyB

Sat May 24, 2014 3:43:59 am

Will check that out. Thanks. I have Zorin on 3 desktops and a hand full of laptops. I just came into sereral Dell computers from a company that upgraded, so I am going to install Zorin on all of them and donatre them to a local chairty.

Swarfendor437

Sat May 24, 2014 2:42:49 pm

Great job AlanNancyB! :D
180 blue jewels for your charity work! :D