This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Few quick questions

rocky123xo

Fri May 16, 2014 9:47:27 pm

Hi there.
I just stumbled across Zorin, and having never (ever) used a desktop Linux distribution before (I run multiple file servers using Ubuntu Server), I figured I would give it a try. I installed it as a dual boot on my Windows 7 laptop.
I have already fallen in love with the distro. It is exceptional.
However, I have a few questions. I am an IT Tech, but obviously only for Windows machines.
My first was, is it possible to disable workspaces 2-4? (The "cube" function) I know it is easy enough to only use one, but it bothers me knowing that there are 3 others being unused. Are they possible to hide or disable?
My next question was regarding the guest account. I followed a previous answer, which involved appending the line guest-account=false (or something of that nature) to the zorin greeter file, yet the guest account option is still there. Is there an easier way to disable it?

Thanks in advance for the help and this amazing distro!

Wolfman

Sat May 17, 2014 6:39:14 am

Hi,

for disabling guest account, see:

http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... in-screen/

For number of desktops, open Compiz Settings Manager > General > Desktop Size > Number of desktops
CompizConfig Settings Manager_016.jpg

Anonymous

Sat May 17, 2014 7:34:16 am

Hi

It is very easy to use and get benefit of 4 work spaces. Here is an example of how it can be used for ie. making a document with pictures and having same time the iStart open for web quick launch.

Workspaces can be easy switched using "Cube" or adding the "Shiny Switcher" from the AWN applets to the bottom panel as seen from the following pictures.

Cube.png

In the desktop one you can have the quick launch to web sites or web applications.
In this picture the AWN panel is hidden and on the left side is shown the iStart premium
versions black panel including some quick launch of Chrome settings.

Desktop onex.png

In the desktop two you can work with making a document with Libre Office Writer

Desktop two.png

In the desktop tre you can work with pictures using GIMB to be used in your document.

Desktop tre.png

Then you have still one desktop free to open some application(s) if needed.

Dektop four.png

I feel it is a very handy and useful feature in the Zorin 8. Take an other look before removing the workspaces here.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/211598568/How ... -Metro-Lap

Figureman52

Sat May 17, 2014 9:12:34 am

Hi, is there any way of saving the desktops on shutdown?

Anonymous

Sat May 17, 2014 9:36:46 am

Hi

All Zorin applications will be closed when shutting down. So the answer is no. If suspending is used and it works in your computer so it keeps all workspaces and applications with open files there. The "Shut Down" reminds you if there is some "not saved" open documents to be saved before shutting down. The one that will be saved automatically is iStart, keeping all tiles there and links to websites over shutdown and can be automatically launched to the first workspace when starting the computer. This is possible due to all changes there is always saved to the startpage of Chrome.

Wolfman

Sat May 17, 2014 10:23:18 am

The system will reboot to the last saved (used) desktop!.

Anonymous

Sat May 17, 2014 3:55:12 pm

Hi

Keep us posted what was your final decision to keep or disable the multiple workspaces and the motivation to that.

rocky123xo

Sat May 17, 2014 11:02:47 pm

I only use one workspace and that was the option I went with. Also turns out my guest account was already disabled, I was just hoping to get rid of the option altogether.

Wolfman

Sun May 18, 2014 4:31:09 am

Hi,

paste the following terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) command and see if it is disabled:

Code:
sudo gedit /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

You should have something like this:

(autologin-guest=false)
lightdm.conf (-etc-lightdm) - gedit_017.jpg

I am not sure if it is possible to completely remove the guest account?.