This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

ubuntu software center stay's searching

dendeze

Sat May 17, 2014 9:17:36 am

Hi, ubuntu software center stay's searching and stay's dark gray.
I did remove it with synaptic and installed it again, same result.
I use zorin 6 based on ubuntu 12.04 lts. :(

Wolfman

Sat May 17, 2014 10:19:46 am

Hi,

run this terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) command then restart and see if it helps:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

dendeze

Sat May 17, 2014 8:31:47 pm

software centrum.png
No succes, same problem. Strange becourse it always did work.

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
Mem 1,8 GiB

Wolfman

Sun May 18, 2014 4:19:50 am

Hi,

judging by your pic, I would say it has something to do with the theme you are using, try changing to a different theme and see if that helps!.

For other themes:

http://www.noobslab.com/2011/11/themes- ... unity.html

Do you have an Nvidia graphics card?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490

dendeze

Sun May 18, 2014 8:53:45 pm

Indeed do i have a Nvidia graphics card.
At install of zorin i did try to use the extra drivers from system settings, bud then i lost everything and i had to install zorin again, so i'm a little scared to try this again.
Here's a screenshot
pci devices.png
(i have seen the topic about the Nvidia drivers), bud i'm to unsure to go on at the moment.
Thanks for the help!

Wolfman

Mon May 19, 2014 5:48:47 am

Hi,

paste the following command in a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) and then install the package, this driver package will work for your Nvidia card according to your pic! (6150SE nForce 430):

Code:
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

That said, you might be better off just using the onboard drivers and changing the theming?.

YOU MUST RESTART AND RUN AN UPDATE FOR THAT "JUST IN CASE SCENARIO"!!!.

To remove the Nvidia drivers, open a terminal and paste this command and then restart and update your system afterwards:

Code:
sudo apt-get remove nvidia-current nvidia-settings

Ideally the above command should be done at root level in the recovery menu, start your PC in "Recovery Mode" and activate "Network" (a network cable is required!) then click on "root" and enter the command, restart your PC with Ctrl + Alt + Del, don't click on "Resume"!.

It is important to restart your PC again in "Recovery Mode" and select "Network" (Cable Only!!) and then run "DPKG" as there will be updates and after you have done the updates (Mesa, Xorg and possibly the "nouveau-firmware" for GeForce6 and above etc!), restart

dendeze

Wed May 21, 2014 6:36:51 pm

I downloaded new themes from your link and that went all good i think, bud where do i find those themes now? I can not find them in system settings?

Wolfman

Thu May 22, 2014 4:42:38 am

Hi,

open : Zorin Menu > System Tools > Preferences > Tweak Tool > Themes and make your changes to the theming there!.