This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Dropbox

Anonymous

Sun May 18, 2014 2:05:24 am

I have Zorin6.4 core have downloaded dropbox as a means to getting pics off wife's galaxy Win having tried bluetooth,Kios etc none of which worked. Dropbox starts up when I log into Zorin and loads the pics fine but it is in the home folder with no icon in start up tray. I have tried numerous suggestions from searches without success.
Would be most grateful if anyone can help.' I got a shortcut onto the desktop but the pics were not loaded to it ,just into the home folder. Excuse strange terminology but am not well versed in tech matters.

Wolfman

Sun May 18, 2014 4:45:06 am

Hi,

according to this:

"Fix for broken dropbox"

For all those having trouble with this being broken after update, the fix (posted in dropbox forums) is to run the following:

Code:
sudo rm -rf /var/lib/dropbox/.dropbox-dist dropbox start -i

And then possibley:

"Bit of install trouble, but working now"

I, like many others, initially had problems with on 13.10. I had to kill the installation, and then it wanted me to run as root when I tired launching it again. After running:

Code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure nautilus-dropbox

in the terminal the program was downloaded again. I was prompted to run "nautilus --quit" after the reinstallation. After this I was able to run the program normally.

Source:

https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/application ... s-dropbox/

Hope it helps!. :D

Anonymous

Sun May 18, 2014 5:05:23 am

It is installed and running on start up, I just want to be able to access it from my desktop.
In my efforts I now have 2 GnoMenu Z icons in my awn dock. I can not find how to remove them. Can anyone help please. I am not in the slightest bit interested in what I am doing just what I need to do to get things to work.

Wolfman

Sun May 18, 2014 5:16:50 am

Hi,

right click the AWN panel > Dock Preferences > Applets and simply drag the icon you don't want out of the bottom "Active Applets" panel:

Awn Settings_018.jpg

Anonymous

Sun May 18, 2014 6:51:57 am

These are on extreme right outside the shutdown button and will not drag anywhere. I already tried that. If they are in the transparent bit they will drag. I have reloaded the whole thing thinking i would get the original bar reinstalled but no such luck.

Wolfman

Sun May 18, 2014 8:00:56 am

Hi,

open dock preferences again > Applets, mark the icon(s) you want to remove and then click on "Deactivate applet":
Awn Settings_001.jpg

Swarfendor437

Sun May 18, 2014 11:36:29 pm

Just to add, your 'preview' of the panel might not be showing the Z's you have - you may need to scroll to the right and as they are menu icons they won't show up as 'Z's in Applets, but cogs:

34.png

Anonymous

Mon May 19, 2014 1:42:57 am

Thank you both for your excellent help. Just me being dense and not looking properly at the panel as Swarfendor suspected. So the two little z's are dealt with and now I would like a dropbox icon on the desktop. I have reloaded the dropbox at least twice from different sources and I have also loaded a dropbox indicator which failed to appear. I see from the internet that this is not an uncommon problem but have as yet not found a solution that 1) I can understand 2) That works. Thanks for your help so far.

Anonymous

Mon May 19, 2014 1:49:29 am

I tried Wolfman's idea but the first entry into the terminal would not complete. I went so far and then just froze.
Tried three or four times without success. Dropbox is doing what I want it to ie. access photos from my wifes android phone it would just be nice not to have to go menu -home-dropbox-photos every time I wanted to get at it.

Wolfman

Mon May 19, 2014 5:46:26 am

Hi,

can you not simply send a link for the folder to the desktop?. :D

Anonymous

Mon May 19, 2014 5:48:22 am

Hello Swarfendor,
In my searching on the internet ( I can not get the search function to work on this forum) I have encountered you telling another person who is using Zorin 8 how to get the dropbox applet onto the dock. Will this work for Zorin 6.4 core? If so you say to select "yet another" and place it in the applets section of the bar. Is that the solid bit where I had the unwanted Z's before or the bit where currently running apps are shown in my case the transparent bit. Getting quite excited about this as I can almost see the bapplet there. It was there the last time I reinstalled dropbox which is what you describe in your answer.viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6450&hilit=+dropbox Thanks again for help to date.

Anonymous

Mon May 19, 2014 5:54:24 am

Hello Wolfman,
I have tried that and had it set up but dropbox does allow you to move the folder but in order to do so you have to click first on the desk top applet. I moved the folder to the desk top and put a lovely Dropbox icon on it but Dropbox did not recognise it because I had not moved it by clicking on the missing desktop applet. It continued to work but sent everything to the home folder not to the moved folder on the desktop. I have since read in my internet travels that this is exactly what it tells you it will do. Just posted to Swafendor where you will see that he has answered the problem for someone in Zorin8 and wonder if it will work in Zorin6.4 core.

Wolfman

Mon May 19, 2014 6:03:33 am

Could it be a "Permissions" problem? :D

(I don't know anything about Dropbox so cannot really help you much with it!)

Anonymous

Mon May 19, 2014 7:36:42 am

Re: Problem
Postby Swarfendor437 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:57 am

OK, just completed a screencast ... and Kazam crashed out on me!

1. OK, download the correct package for system (64-bit or 32-bit for Ubuntu as that is what Zorin is based on) from dropbox site and install using 'gdebi Package Installer'.

2. Whilst drop-box is installing you should see the drop-box icon appear in the panel at the bottom of the screen (AWN panel) - while it is there, right-click and select 'create custom launcher'.

3. Right-click the AWN Panel and select 'Preferences' then select 'Applets Tab' - scroll down to 'Yet Another Menu Applet' and drag this to the bottom panel within 'Applets' - you should see another 'Z' appear - right click on this and select 'Edit Menus' - go to the Internet section and in the right-pane you should see 'Dropbox' - select this menu item then click on the Properties button to see the command line and descriptors.

4. On the create custom launcher that you have open, this should be 'blank' - copy and paste each field into the new custom launcher.

5. To get the applications icon to show instead of a question mark/exclamation mark (poor memory!), click on the icon in the new custom launcher properties dialog and browse to:

/usr/share/icons/zorin light/scalable - then scroll-down til you get to the dropbox.png and select open - voila, you now have a custom launcher! :D
http://www.vimeo.com
trisquel.info
gnome-look.org
Swarfendor437

Hello Wolf.
Above is an answer that Swarf gave for Zorin 8. Will it work for Zorin 6.4 core? I have reinstalled dropbox fromm numerous sources and the last time from dropbox website I had the applet in the live applets dock whilst it was loading. It dissappeared as soon as it was installed though. So I can right click and create custom launcher as described by Swarf.

Regarding just moving the folder to desk top I tried that but unless you move the folder by clicking on the missing applet Dropbox does not recognise the folder on the desktop and sends stuff, in my case pics, to the Home folder by default.

Anonymous

Mon May 19, 2014 7:40:23 am

I am sorry to repeat my precvious question but when I looked it was not there.
Also I can not fathom how to work the search function on this forum. I clearly told me there was nothing about Dropbox yet here is Swarfs answer.

Swarfendor437

Mon May 19, 2014 11:27:49 am

Hi, I thought my answer was for TeamViewer icon not Dropbox - and that is from my depleting Memory Banks! :D

If you create a shortcut on the Desktop, it will look like a piece of blank paper - right-click it and select 'Properties' then select 'Permissions' - check mark the item at the bottom to allow to run as program and you will get your icon! :D

Anonymous

Mon May 19, 2014 12:57:02 pm

Hello Wolfman and Swarf,
After Wolf's last idea making a link I tried again within Dropbox and I now have a direct link to the folder I want which is working fine at the moment. I got an icon off dropbox site and it will be ok for me now. Initially as I know so little about this I did not quite understand what Wolf meant. So many thanks to both of you and until the next time! This is solved for me.

Swarfendor437

Mon May 19, 2014 7:41:58 pm

Glad to hear it! :D