This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Printer solution???

lenberman

Sun May 18, 2014 6:38:15 pm

I installed Zorin on an older computer and it runs fine, but I cannot print with my Brother MFC7340. I am thinking of setting up cloud print on a Windows 8 laptop that is connected by USB to the Brother printer. The laptop is on the network with the Zorin computer, will this end up so the Zorin computer can print on the Brother, or is there a Linux driver, that I can't find.

Thanks,
Len

Wolfgang02

Sun May 18, 2014 6:55:40 pm

try http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=mfc7340_us_as&os=128

Use the "Driver Install Tool" which was released in March this year. If you go to the brother website look for mfc-7340 and it should be there.

Any problems let us know. :D

Wolfman

Sun May 18, 2014 7:41:17 pm

lenberman

Tue May 20, 2014 3:49:06 pm

The instructions say only install through the terminal command line, how do I do that?

Wolfman

Tue May 20, 2014 5:25:35 pm

Hi Len,

read this, it tells you what you need to do:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Hardw ... rs/MFC7340

lenberman

Wed May 21, 2014 4:41:42 pm

wolfman,

I have installed the printer driver and I still cannot print. There is a windows 8 laptop that I can connect via USB to this printer and it will print just fine. Can I use cloud print on the Zorin computer to print through the Windows computer? I appreciate your help in this matter.

Len

Swarfendor437

Wed May 21, 2014 5:31:32 pm

OK, go to Menu | System Settings | Printer. If anything is showing in there, delete it - close the System Settings window.

Next, open a Terminal (Menu | Accessories | Terminal) and enter:

Code:
system-config-printer

The printers interface from System Settings should appear - now go through the process of installing a fresh, select Brother, and because you have confirmed the driver has installed it should now show up in 'available models/drivers' part of the install! :D

Keep us posted! :D

lenberman

Fri May 23, 2014 7:51:17 pm

OK, I bought a new HP printer and connected it, it shows up in the printer section but won't print. I went to HP support and downloaded the Linux driver. During the install I had to open the terminal and type: cd Desktop (where the file is) and then: sh hplip-3.14.4.run so it goes through it's install and ends up asking me what Linux version I am using, I choose Ubuntu and it wants to know what version. I am using Zorin 8.1 so I choose the latest version. Then it does some stuff and asks for the root/supervisor password, and I enter the only password that I put in during the install but it doesn't recognize the password. I am at a loss on what to do next. What Ubuntu version is Zorin 8.1?

Len

Wolfman

Sat May 24, 2014 6:21:25 am

Hi Len,

you should install the package "hplip-gui" from the repo and use that!.

Code:
sudo apt-get install hplip-gui

Make sure the printer is plugged in and switched on then open "HPLip-Toolbox" > (Zorin Menu > System Tools > Preferences) and set it up with that tool!. See the guide and the printer section:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054