This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Edit Main Menu missing...

SimonVM

Sun May 18, 2014 8:34:06 pm

Greetings, folks.

How do I change the main menu?

To be sure, I *did* read the post-install guide, and it tells me:

"For adding missing objects in the main menu, right click on the Zorin button > Edit and you can edit entries to the menu at will. Clicking on the list on the left of the menu will show each sub group and you just need to add a tick in the box!."

My problem: I don't have an Edit option when I right-click the menu. The options I get are:

Dock Preferences
Remove Customized Icons
----
About Zorin Menu
Preferences
About

Preferences has tabs for Themes, Preferences, Commands and About, but nothing like the category/item list I need.

Any suggestions?
Simon

PS.
changed switching to different look/theme - didn't work
tried other AWN menu applets - same problem, no edit

Wolfman

Sun May 18, 2014 8:40:19 pm

Hi Simon,

there is no edit option in Zorin 8 sorry, I will have to change the guide!.

Install the package "alacarte" and once installed, to start it simply open a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) and type:

Code:
alacarte

and the menu editor will open!.

Swarfendor437

Sun May 18, 2014 11:50:19 pm

If you want, you can always install GnoMenu with GDebi Package installer, then remove Zorin Menu! :D

http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/03/how-to- ... unity.html

SimonVM

Mon May 19, 2014 3:26:39 am

Thanks, Wolfman, works perfectly - problem solved!

@Swarferdor: Man, please, stop tempting me! :D There's so much beautiful and interesting stuff in 8.1 Core; I need at least a couple of weeks to try it all, play with it, and find out how it all works. Just discovered I've got Python 2.7 *and* 3.3... Yeh!

Take care,
Simon

Wolfman

Mon May 19, 2014 6:10:13 am

Hi,

I changed the guide accordingly and marked the thread as solved!. :D

Swarfendor437

Mon May 19, 2014 11:24:30 am

SimonVM wrote:Thanks, Wolfman, works perfectly - problem solved!

@Swarferdor: Man, please, stop tempting me! :D There's so much beautiful and interesting stuff in 8.1 Core; I need at least a couple of weeks to try it all, play with it, and find out how it all works. Just discovered I've got Python 2.7 *and* 3.3... Yeh!

Take care,
Simon

Basically, leave ZorinMenu installed - just remove from the AWN applets and replace with GnoMenu - it's what Zorin Menu is based on and you can not only Edit the menu, you get the Left Windows Binding Key working too! ;)

SimonVM

Mon May 19, 2014 9:13:58 pm

Greetings, All.

Swarfendor: GnuMenu worked, but I like YAMA better. :) I will, however, put keyboard bindings on my todo list. Thanks for the tip!

Wolfman: I have the impression that alacarte ought to be in the core package. for without it, you can't edit your menu system. Installing alacarte does add a Main Menu option to System Tools | Preferences, so people don't have to use the terminal, and YAMA also uses alacarte, once installed, with right-click | Edit Menus.

However, the Zorin Menu applet for AWN (/usr/share/avant-windows-navigator/applets/ZorinMenu.py) doesn't have an Edit option, the code is simple not there.

There is another Zorin Menu applet (/usr/share/dockmanager/scripts/ZorinMenu.py - Dbus interface/docky script) that has an Edit option in somewhat similar code, so I copied that part of the code from one to another, made some small changes, and now I have a Zorin Menu AWN applet with an Edit option using alacarte.

No idea if anybody else wants to use this, but, just in case, I have attached it to this post. If you feel the devs might be interested, no problem if this post gets moved.

Take care,
Simon

Swarfendor437

Mon May 19, 2014 9:34:13 pm

Hi, YAMA was actually better in the RC than in the Final release - it had a search bar not present in Final and the only menu to work with Orca (screenreader)! :D

I had some issues getting GnoMenu to work with AWN (in PearLInux 5) until I found this useful little package:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/awn-extras/+ ... comments/2

and followed the posters instructions! :D