This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Screen freezing on Zorin lite 6

partingshot

Mon May 19, 2014 1:59:02 am

A newbie here, and thanks in advance for the help. I have used Linux Mint on a laptop with no issues. Have an old netbook, and encountered the same problem with Mint, Linux lite, and to a lesser degree, Zorin 6 lite. The former two would simply not function. The cursor could be moved, but clicking generated no response. I can get Zorin 6 lite to work if I boot up in recovery mode, then tell it to resume normal boot. Otherwise, there is the same problem. Desktop does not fully load, or if it does, the cursor moves, but does not function. I have updated everything via Synaptic. Network card works, so I am left believing this is a graphics card issue. Went through accessories to search for additional drivers, and nothing was found. I believe the netbook has an ATI Radeon display. Don't mind going through recovery mode at boot up if needed, as it works fine thereafter, but if there is a reasonable fix then I would be most appreciative.

Thanks again.

partingshot

Wolfman

Mon May 19, 2014 5:38:07 am

Hi,

run DPKG per the update guide and see if the problem is still there when you reboot:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

Here is a guide for AMD/ATI but READ IT CAREFULLY!:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6951

You are most likely better off with the onboard drivers that you already have but here is the link about Radeon drivers:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver

Swarfendor437

Mon May 19, 2014 11:16:39 am

Rewind please! :D

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5449

Also could you upload a screenshot of your partitioning using 'GParted' and 'Screenshot' and upload to here please.

Thanks! ;)

partingshot

Sun May 25, 2014 1:51:03 am

Thanks to both of you for the assistance. Here are the specs on the netbook:

MSI U120 Netbook 1 GB memory Atom pro N270 1.6 Ghx processor Front side bus 533 Mhz

Zorin is the only operating system, and drive is not partitioned for anything else.

Graphics: Intel GMA 950

Wireless: WLAn 802.11 b/g

Operating system – Zorin 6 lite

I tried to take an image of the screen using Imagemagick after running Gparted, but it would not image the central window. Zorin lite does not have a screenshot tool built in.
However, here is the info:

/dev/sda1
148.06 Gib

Partition File system Mount pt Size Used Unused Flags

/dev/sda1 ext4 / 148.06 Gib 5.73 Gib 142.33 boot
▼/dev/sda2 extended 1012.00 MiB
/dev/sda2 linux-swap 1012.00 Mib

I ran the dpkg program and took the steps for this process as outlined. I am reluctant to install new graphics drivers for fear of losing all functionality unless I am sure I have the correct device and software. If there is no easy fix then that is OK. My netbook functions, not perfectly, but with only a simple glitch at boot up.

Again, thanks for volunteering your time and expertise to help.

partingshot

Wolfman

Sun May 25, 2014 6:43:37 am

Hi,

it is worth noting that you are using an UNSUPPORTED version of Zorin, you should be using Zorin Lite 8 but that is also only supported for a short time!, Zorin Lite 9 will be out soon so if you can wait for that, I suggest you upgrade and it may well fix the problem!:

http://zorin-os.com/free8.html

To keep all your data intact after upgrading, use the "Something Else Method" to install/upgrade:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848